Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimal wardriving kit

Hi,

I found an antenna whitch they clam too be triband, a/b/g, combining this with a MiniPCI card and a pigtail could be the optimal wardriving kit.

Antenna and magmount: http://www.pawconnex.com/products/IN2458-5RD.shtml
    MiniPCI: http://windstore.windwireless.net/in...=category&id=4

A very cool antenna mount for the lapptop: http://www.pawconnex.com/products/Rover24-5RD.shtml

I will try to get the gear before the con if they can ship it to my hotel.

/André
    Don’t Drink & Drive

Originally posted by 1master
    Hi,

I found an antenna whitch they clam too be triband, a/b/g, combining this with a MiniPCI card and a pigtail could be the optimal wardriving kit.

Antenna and magmount: http://www.pawconnex.com/products/IN2458-5RD.shtml
    MiniPCI: http://windstore.windwireless.net/in...=category&id=4

A very cool antenna mount for the lapptop: http://www.pawconnex.com/products/Rover24-5RD.shtml

I will try to get the gear before the con if they can ship it to my hotel.

/André

But even with the optimal wardriving kit you will still lose to Wigle.

Comment

This year it’s not a team effort….
      Don’t Drink & Drive

Comment

Well that's great, but where are you gonna find an pcmcia 802.11a card with a connector or a B/G card with RPTNC or RPSMA connector? After the pigtail and the 5 ft of feedline, that 5.5 dBi of unity gain is pretty close to zilch. Best it can do is get the signal outside of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by murakami
          Well that's great, but where are you gonna find an pcmcia 802.11a card with a connector or a B/G card with RPTNC or RPSMA connector? After the pigtail and the 5 ft of feedline, that 5.5 dBi of unity gain is pretty close to zilch. Best it can do is get the signal outside of the car.
          Look at his avatar. He will find them in Europe. They are only illegal (802.11a with connectors) in the States.

If I am not mistaken 1master actually posted som pics of A cards with external connectors from Europe a while back...but that may have been on the NS Forums.
          perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Well that's great, but where are you gonna find an pcmcia 802.11a card with a connector or a B/G card with RPTNC or RPSMA connector?
            If u followed the link then u see that a miniPCI card have a pigtail. U can bye a pigtail with whatever connector u want.

After the pigtail and the 5 ft of feedline, that 5.5 dBi of unity gain is pretty close to zilch. Best it can do is get the signal outside of the car.
            Well that’s pretty close to what I used last year and I think the result was pretty good.

/André
            Don’t Drink & Drive

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
              Look at his avatar. He will find them in Europe. They are only illegal (802.11a with connectors) in the States..
              Sweden... :) I think all miniPCI cards have connectors for antennas even in the US.

If I am not mistaken 1master actually posted som pics of A cards with external connectors from Europe a while back...but that may have been on the NS Forums.
              Yes it was a PCMCIA card with a connector. U can find one inside a Netgear WAG511 to. I am pretty sure that u will find them in the ones sold in the US.
              Don’t Drink & Drive

Comment

Sweden... :) I think all miniPCI cards have connectors for antennas even in the US.
                Many have the hirose.UFL connector which is good for about 100 uses (testing and installation) but not daily use.

Yes it was a PCMCIA card with a connector. U can find one inside a Netgear WAG511 to. I am pretty sure that u will find them in the ones sold in the US.
                As Chris said, these are not available as client cards, but can be scavenged from APs.

Assuming that this all works, is there software that supports A & B/G scanning?

Comment

Many have the hirose.UFL connector which is good for about 100 uses (testing and installation) but not daily use.
                  Install and do not remove. U should never remove pigtails. I tape my pigtails to the card.

As Chris said, these are not available as client cards, but can be scavenged from APs.
                  WAG511 is a client card.

Assuming that this all works, is there software that supports A & B/G scanning?
                  Witch doesn’t? Kismet, Netstumbler, Airmagnet....
                  Don’t Drink & Drive

Comment

WAG511 is a client card.

I am pretty sure that the US version of this card does not have the external connector. If it did, it would be in violation off FFC regs. Now, you could purchase one from an overseas outlet, but using it with an 802.11a antenna would then put you in violation of FCC regs.

Comment

they can be obtained from outside the US. selling them in the US is illegal. using them for 802.11a in the US is illegal. (is there an exception for licensed amateurs?)
                      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

I am pretty sure that the US version of this card does not have the external connector. If it did, it would be in violation off FFC regs. Now, you could purchase one from an overseas outlet, but using it with an 802.11a antenna would then put you in violation of FCC regs.
                        It’s not like an external connector. U have to open the card to get to it. It’s like all the miniPCI cards that are 802.11a. They all have connectors for internal antenna wiring and aproved by the FFC.
                        Don’t Drink & Drive

Comment

The Netgear WAG511v2 with an internal connector is FCC aproved.

FCC ID: PY3WAG511

So i gues it’s the same card that u get in the US.
                          Don’t Drink & Drive

Comment

The Netgear WAG511v2 with an internal connector is FCC aproved.

FCC ID: PY3WAG511

So i gues it’s the same card that u get in the US.

The thing is, if you open it, use the connector on 5 ghz, you are in violation of the law here. It is FCC approved in it's 'as is' condition. Modifying it changes that. Still good info though. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by converge
                              they can be obtained from outside the US. selling them in the US is illegal. using them for 802.11a in the US is illegal. (is there an exception for licensed amateurs?)

To my knowledge there is not, but Thorn would be a better person to ask.

Comment

Working...
                              X