DefCon Wireless Network Ownage...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DefCon Wireless Network Ownage...

Some of the less fortunate people who used 802.11b at DefCon may have noticed certain... irregularities of your HTTP connections. Yes, I'm talking about the Anus of Truth.

Check out http://www.evilscheme.org/defcon/ for details on that phenomenon.

We're planning on getting 802.11g working for next year, and perhaps WEP as well.

Open your mind... to the Anus!
    ~Auto

Only a idiot would have logged on that network .

Al
    "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Originally posted by 0versight
      Its pretty fuckin pathetic that all people do is IRC and shit when they're at defcon, Hey I could understand a couple minutes or so to kill time between the talks or whatever but some motherfuckers did that shit for hours. Just stay the fuck home.
      Grifter had a great comment about that in his DCX speech on resurrecting your local scene. DC is a time when people should get out into the "real world" and socialize. I admit that i'm not the most outgoing guy, but even i got in the goon con hot tub...and i didn't use the network one single time during the duration of the con.
      #ut2600 / #dc-forums | EFNet

Comment

I never even tried to connect to the network. Everyone I wanted to contact was sitting beside me at the pool.

Wasting your own time is not my business

Amusing tool though. Useful for demonstrating to sheeple the subtle things that can be done to a network on-the-fly
        Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Yeah, I agree. Even if I did own/bring a laptop, I don't know if I would use it much. Socializing is a big aspect of DC. I might have gone on IRC just to brag to others that I was at DC and they weren't. :D

Heh, I was the shmuck adorned with a pirate flag fashioned as a cape in the goon tub.
          :wq

Comment

Coincidentally enough, at Apachecn teh IRC is quite used and useful.

Since it's a more mature crowd you find there's a second lecture happening on teh IRC chanel during talks. People get on dring a lecture, ask question, mke points, and teh lecturer actually monitors and makes adjustments.

It's very very cool in that aspect.

At one point I was monitoring frm the NOC area and Ken needed a Apachecon disk from teh previous year, I was able to grab one, open a file share for him to grab what he needed and he got it our for the speaker, all without ever him leaving the stage or my entering to conference room.

Using IRC in this way to assists with ops and comms is a good use.

But I agree, sitting by teh pool for three days irc'ing to somebody in their room is just dumb. I fr one only booted up my laptop once saturday morning to check email and that was it.

--S
            --Shatter

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
            - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Comment

i used my laptop in my room to dump pix from my digi cam onto .. that and to watch DVD's on the plane .. oh, and for mp3's while mixing a drink or 2 ;-)

hell, i even wiped my laptop and put a fresh copy of XP before I left, and I have already wiped it and put slack back on ..
              " I want to believe all of these things? But you caught me at a bad moment and I can't. "

Comment

I used mine very little, internet came in handy trouble shooting my GPS. I used it to dump photos, and for internet at the airport. I war drove only when there was no parties going on, or lectures I didnt care to see. Which totaled a whole 5 hours.

I didnt miss much of the con, and managed to place I think 5th on the war drive.

I wasnt playing to win, just to do it. I also played scavenger hunt, with no intent to win. After I heard about the can tabs, I didnt put much effort into it.

Comment

Originally posted by [Syntax]
                  ...I wasnt playing to win, just to do it. I also played scavenger hunt, with no intent to win. After I heard about the can tabs, I didnt put much effort into it.
                  The funny thing is, this tool could have also been used to cheat at wardriving. We enable a mode where it randomizes the MAC and randomizes the SSID from a dictionary. Just take off driving with your Kismet/Netstumbler gear and carry along one of our kits with it, and you'll be picking up AP's in the middle of the desert.

We tried out this mode early Friday afternoon, right before RootFu opened up. If you were stumbling around then near the RootFu area, you should have got some very interesting SSID's. I was also seeing some nice political statements in the SSID's as well.
                  ~Auto

Comment

I do not even bring my laptop to con anymore. You are begging for an assraping if you do anything of use on the network, and you are around a kick-ass group of folks, so why not talk to them! As renderman said, all the folks I want to talk to at the time are either there, or reachable by cell phone.
                    Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by AutoNiN
                      The funny thing is, this tool could have also been used to cheat at wardriving. We enable a mode where it randomizes the MAC and randomizes the SSID from a dictionary.
                      FakeAP is an old old old old hack from DC8 or 9 I think... I believe the WarDriving contest first attempted to make an existing wireless map of the LV area so they would be able to detect the cheaters and beat them senselessly with pigtails. That plus the pre-defined fake APs that the organizers took down before the contest started were what eliminated one of the WDers I believe.

See: http://www.blackalchemy.to/project/fakeap/
                      We own everything so you don't have to!

Comment

Originally posted by gzzah
                        FakeAP is an old old old old hack from DC8 or 9 I think... I believe the WarDriving contest first attempted to make an existing wireless map of the LV area so they would be able to detect the cheaters and beat them senselessly with pigtails. That plus the pre-defined fake APs that the organizers took down before the contest started were what eliminated one of the WDers I believe.

See: http://www.blackalchemy.to/project/fakeap/

dammit... okay i feel owned here...

I connected to the network via ssh to my work email. (osx btw) next thing i know i get booted from the network, and i get a friggin 169 address... I go the airport, connect to the wifi.. erhhh didnt work, i port scan my own machine and i got a net bios port open on my Mac...

I found that to be not normal......

anyone know what's up?

be easy on me it was my first defcon o_o

-chris
                        -Christopher

Comment

Originally posted by xChris
                          dammit... okay i feel owned here...

I connected to the network via ssh to my work email. (osx btw) next thing i know i get booted from the network, and i get a friggin 169 address... I go the airport, connect to the wifi.. erhhh didnt work, i port scan my own machine and i got a net bios port open on my Mac...

I found that to be not normal......

anyone know what's up?

be easy on me it was my first defcon o_o

-chris
                          The 169 address is a reserved address that you get when your DHCP client can no longer reach a DHCP server. You probably lost signal or something...
                          As for the Netbios, you probably have Windows File Sharing enabled on your Mac.
                          Is your Mac up-to-date? I know the guys from Metasploit detailed a remote MacOSX sploit... but if that is all that's wrong, you're _probably_ OK

Comment

Do you like spicy food?

Agent Orange Rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by sduffy
                              The 169 address is a reserved address that you get when your DHCP client can no longer reach a DHCP server. You probably lost signal or something...
                              As for the Netbios, you probably have Windows File Sharing enabled on your Mac.
                              Is your Mac up-to-date? I know the guys from Metasploit detailed a remote MacOSX sploit... but if that is all that's wrong, you're _probably_ OK

Well thats the funny thing... and scary thing.. when i cant hit a dhcp server on my mac... i _should_ get a 144. address =\... its only happening on my wifi. T_T...

yea, it looks like everything is up to date. and i use samba to connect to other winodows boxes...

T_T i wanna say im okay, but somtimes even at home (after defcon) sitting right next to the wifi it will die, and throw me that address.. o_o its scary.

-xchris
                              -Christopher

Comment

Working...
                              X