advice in starting out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice in starting out...

i read the occasional 2600 issue just out of curiosity. somethings i understand some i don't, i can appreciate the hacking culture, and want to know more. I read 'the art od deception' by kevin mitnik....really good book. very informative, but what is recommended to study when starting out? i know networking basics....say, i could almost be A+ certified....but not quite if that helps. i do know that hands on experience is the best for anything but i am too spooked i'll get caught in the beginning since i don't know what i'm doing that much. I don't want to go in and do anything malicious...i don't like when others do it . i am just curious about it. if you have any info on what you did to start learning..please share.

First, begin by typing correctly and with proper use of capitalization. Using the proper spelling of the term error, could be the first step you might want to take in becoming an elite hacker.

Comment

Originally posted by CrItIcAl_EeRoR
      i am just curious about it. if you have any info on what you did to start learning..please share.
      1) Take Vandal's advice

2) There is no reason in todays world with the prices of computers as they and old system so cost effective that you can't build your own network in your house.

3) If you build your own network as stated in (2) then you won't have to worry about "getting caught" or "being malicious" while still learning a great deal of information.

4) If you have a few friends and they want to get into it too, then setup a number of networks running different OS and different configurations and test eachother out..

5) Read.. Whatever you interested in being Networking, Programming, Cooking, Cars, Firearms ect... Just pick up a book that sounds like it would be interesting to you "

Two good books you may want to check out:
      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

http://www.syngress.com/catalog/sg_main.cfm?pid=2520

And of course: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...996040-9972018

the last one is a good read.. and order if from Amazon through that link.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
        And of course: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...996040-9972018

the last one is a good read.. and order if from Amazon through that link.

My brainwash-fu is strong. It's all the subliminals I inserted into the text.

"These are not the droids you are looking for"
        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
          My brainwash-fu is strong. It's all the subliminals I inserted into the text.

"These are not the droids you are looking for"

Nah, I just like Thorn more then you now.. He's the Coolest

Comment

New to the community, same skills as CrItIcAl_EeRoR about. highwizard's advise hits it right on the head. I mean I've learn so much with one computer alone, the fact that you can do the same with your own network it's pretty sweet. What's crazy is how fast things change and having to pretty much drop the old stuff you learned all together and begin with the new. As a kid I grew up with a TSR-80, the lastest version of windows at that time released was windows 3.1. Then when win 95 came out we got a new computer, later updating it to 98. Now got some "speedy" 2.66gz win xp pro computer. I dunno just rambling on...

Comment

TRS-80 and Win 3.1 at the same point on a timeline?
              if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge
                TRS-80 and Win 3.1 at the same point on a timeline?
                Way apart. The original TRS-80 came out in 1977, with the final iteration hitting the shelves in 1986. Windows 3.1 shipped in 1992, a full six years later. It's conceivable that people were still using 8-bit machines then (as an example, my Atari ST didn't replace my Atari 800XL full-time until about 1990 despite having had it since 1988), but they were certainly on the way out.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                  Way apart. The original TRS-80 came out in 1977, with the final iteration hitting the shelves in 1986. Windows 3.1 shipped in 1992, a full six years later. It's conceivable that people were still using 8-bit machines then (as an example, my Atari ST didn't replace my Atari 800XL full-time until about 1990 despite having had it since 1988), but they were certainly on the way out.
                  That was cool timeline. I liked how OS/2 ended up as the eCom Station OS. Now we can hack financial institutions in Rexx.

Comment

The best thing you could do to start out is find a local group that meets. (2600 or DC group)
                    keep going to meetings and you'll learn new things and meet cool people. socialize. its healthy.
                    the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by KeLviN
                      The best thing you could do to start out is find a local group that meets. (2600 or DC group)
                      keep going to meetings and you'll learn new things and meet cool people. socialize. its healthy.
                      o_o start out doing what seriously?

You should start out by actully researching what your actully trying to accomplish. Take it step by step, asking yourself why why why why why.

google has everything you ever need to know about the wire. trust yourself, and make your own path. That's the only way your ever going to accomplish anything.

question everything, if you sucked in math, or any critical thinking class because you were too lazy or didnt like thinking then this world is not for you.

your mind will grow tiresome, and questions will be flying across your head.

to close this down ---> Google.com <---- thats how you get started.

.xchris

Edit: I just wanted to add one more thing, no one can ever show you or explain to you, it's something that only you can do and learn yourself.
                      -Christopher

Comment

Originally posted by CrItIcAl_EeRoR
                        i read the occasional 2600 issue just out of curiosity. somethings i understand some i don't, i can appreciate the hacking culture, and want to know more. I read 'the art od deception' by kevin mitnik....really good book. very informative, but what is recommended to study when starting out? i know networking basics....say, i could almost be A+ certified....but not quite if that helps. i do know that hands on experience is the best for anything but i am too spooked i'll get caught in the beginning since i don't know what i'm doing that much. I don't want to go in and do anything malicious...i don't like when others do it . i am just curious about it. if you have any info on what you did to start learning..please share.
                        After lurking for a good bit I have seen that most of the moderators and other users would suggest the good old www.google.com It’s a good tool and it will help you in the areas you mentioned.

Gormless

Comment

Hack What?

Hacking isnt just some thing you can learn by reading a hacking book or certification. Hacking takes having knowlege in a wide variety of computer skills like Cisco,Windows,Linux,Programing,scripting and anything else you can think of before you even think about really getting into the nitty gritty of hacking or becoming a hacker. Learning a diverse skillset needed to become a hacker takes alot of time. Oh by the way malicious hacking is for fags. So if you plan on labeling yourself as a "hacker" then dont plan on getting any jobs with that alone because when or if that time comes you will have alot of experience in computers in general and should have a decent job as a security professional. Sorry but this hacker stuff is out of hand. Poeple confuse scripting with hacking. A hacker should write his own code.

Comment

Originally posted by snyderkv
                            Hacking isnt just some thing you can learn by reading a hacking book or certification. Hacking takes having knowlege in a wide variety of computer skills like Cisco,Windows,Linux,Programing,scripting and anything else you can think of before you even think about really getting into the nitty gritty of hacking or becoming a hacker. Learning a diverse skillset needed to become a hacker takes alot of time. Oh by the way malicious hacking is for fags. So if you plan on labeling yourself as a "hacker" then dont plan on getting any jobs with that alone because when or if that time comes you will have alot of experience in computers in general and should have a decent job as a security professional. Sorry but this hacker stuff is out of hand. Poeple confuse scripting with hacking. A hacker should write his own code.

Sadly intelligence is either something you have or don't have. You Buddy, are a fucking idiot.

Did you eve bother to look at the dates on this thread, you fucking moron?

Before you, the last post was made a YEAR AGO. 08-22-2004 09:38 PM

Go back to lurking you dumb schmuck....

Comment

Cant believe you can get away with that. If your a moderator you can simply delete the message or move the message. Just because you were overly offended by my "malicous hackers are gay" comment in another thread doesent mean you should get overly offended"

Fucking idot ?

Fucking moron?

Fucking dumb?

This sounds really intelligent to.

Comment

Working...
                              X