Open-Source Web Design Apps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Web Design Apps?

I have been into website design for quite some time now. I own three computers -- an Apple eMac running Mac OS X, a Compaq Presario 2700 laptop running Linux (distro varies) and my desktop, dual booting with Slackware and Windows XP. The majority of my website design is done on my desktop, of course, since I have full use of Dreamweaver and Photoshop -- my top two applications. I was just wondering though -- have any of you had any experience using an open source website design program? Personally I have never seen or messed with one but I was just wondering how one would compare to Dreamweaver. I have not really taken the time and effort to go look for one, but if it came down to where I would just want to leave the Windows OS for good, I know I would probably need one. Of all of the attempts I've tried to make running those applications under WINE/Cedega, I have only been successful once. -- its a pain in the ass. So I was just curious, has anyone out there had any luck with an open-source web design program? Anything would be helpful... even if it lacks certain aspects that a hobbiest could complain about.

maguma (free registration) is good for PHP web design

bluefish (100% OS) is good by limited to Linux, and is still kinda hazy

OpenOffice dot Org is pretty handy too

All of these are IDE based (well syntax highlighing in some of them). No "drag-n'-drop" interfaces really. Suppose you could use Netscape Navigator Gold for that though :)
    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Any good Text Editor.... Be a real man, step away from Dreamweaver and use Notepad.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
        Any good Text Editor.... Be a real man, step away from Dreamweaver and use Notepad.
        HERE HERE!!! I CONCUR!!!

Comment

MacOS X ? Notepad? Heh. Why not vi, or better yet... *emacs!*
          /me looks to see if the vi crowd heard that

Whooops! I must be off now... trains to see, places to catch.

[emacs is capable of editing with enhancements for html, color coding of tags and indenting and it only takes 10 seconds to start up. ;-)]

Comment

Decent WYSIWYG

If you must use a wysiwyg try out www.nvu.com.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
              MacOS X ? Notepad? Heh. Why not vi, or better yet... *emacs!*
              /me looks to see if the vi crowd heard that

Whooops! I must be off now... trains to see, places to catch.

[emacs is capable of editing with enhancements for html, color coding of tags and indenting and it only takes 10 seconds to start up. ;-)]

Yes, I heard that. vim can colour code the tags and takes no time to start up..

booyah!

DIE EMACS USERS ;)

Comment

Originally posted by MidnightViper
                I have been into website design for quite some time now. I own three computers -- an Apple eMac running Mac OS X, a Compaq Presario 2700 laptop running Linux (distro varies) and my desktop, dual booting with Slackware and Windows XP. The majority of my website design is done on my desktop, of course, since I have full use of Dreamweaver and Photoshop -- my top two applications. I was just wondering though -- have any of you had any experience using an open source website design program? Personally I have never seen or messed with one but I was just wondering how one would compare to Dreamweaver. I have not really taken the time and effort to go look for one, but if it came down to where I would just want to leave the Windows OS for good, I know I would probably need one. Of all of the attempts I've tried to make running those applications under WINE/Cedega, I have only been successful once. -- its a pain in the ass. So I was just curious, has anyone out there had any luck with an open-source web design program? Anything would be helpful... even if it lacks certain aspects that a hobbiest could complain about.
                vi

Edit: Oh dam CotMan was quicker than me
                /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

Wysiwyg

You can also try Amay from the W3C. It is not pretty and it does not like code generated by GoLive or Dreamweaver. But it is 100% free and works on a large variety of machines. They have a Mac OS X version that only works within Apple X11 (or you fink installed X11), though they do claim to be working on a Mac OS X Native version. Of course being that I am not infalable it may already be out.

Amaya

While I too would say to type out the code by hand, it's not what you asked for.
                  Amaya does have a learning curve, but it also has some decent resources to help learn the code. Give it a shot. We are talking free here.

-Acolyte
                  Anger is a function of fear. Decimate the fear and control the anger.

Comment

If you want "transision" software, perhaps try HomeSite. It's from the makers of Dreamweaver, and is a nice segway point between "I'm stupid do it for me" to "Pittyful mortals and your 'GUI' based programming". Perhaps it will help you get to the latter.

Better Response?

Comment

Bingo. I do all my web design in vim.
                      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                      45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                      [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by nummish
                        DIE EMACS USERS ;)
                        *thud*

vi, vim, elvis, vi*(clones) follow the UNIX way of small tools optimized to perform specific tasks. On the other hand, emacs is more like the windows way where tons of features most people will never use are packed into an enormous application that sucks up memory and cycles and requires memorization of various keystrokes... Esc-Meta-Alt-Control-Shift...

vi, and vi clones are more cryptic to use, but the more you learn, the more powerful you are with other *NIX apps/tools. As a result of being smaller, startup very fast (note where I was making fun of emacs startup above) and rely on tools outside of the editor to make the editor more powerful. vi is also more common on older systems, and it is what will work when your system is foobar and most your libs have gone to party in Las Vegas without you.

However, the killer application features I like in emacs:
                        centralized code development an integration when using Makefiles and debugging (split screens for compile/build/debug/run)
                        Ability to open multiple files with one app, copy and paste shared buffers, and quickly switch views with contents of multiple files available for side-by-side comparison.
                        Unlimited Undo, and Undo itself is undoo-able

People who code HTML in text generally understand HTML very well.

Comment

Remember when ThinkGeek had vi and emacs shirts, that were the same shirt, but just replaced the "vi" and "emacs" ? Ah, good times. Religious wars. Now the editor-Jihad will find its way here too... ;)

LosT

Comment

Originally posted by LosT
                            Now the editor-Jihad will find its way here too... ;)
                            It won't be much of a war...
                            A few months ago on #dc-forums I mentioned that I used emacs, and most everyone was "I don't know you anymore", "You Dirty Stinking Ape!", "No more ops for you!" and "DIE DIE DIE!" (heh)

It would not be much of a war. It would be me saying, "I like emacs" and everyone else waiting with blunted shovels...

Comment

Emacs

Funny thing is... I like Emacs/XEmacs. It is a bit of a chore to memorize all of those damned commands tho. For shear ease of use and yes... laziness... I will just pop into pico to do quick edits of rc files and html files. The most bashing for using Emacs to code with was "Damn, how do you remember all those damn commands and windows within windows. It's too hard." or 'Yer insane I just use MSFrontpage'. To which I tend to reply, 'Quite yer whining you sissy; do some work and read the docs... bitch.'. </war><gloat>I Win</gloat>

I feel you TheCotMan.

Guess I need more work on that controlled anger thing huh.

- Acolyte
                              Anger is a function of fear. Decimate the fear and control the anger.

Comment

Working...
                              X