PGP Keysigning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PGP Keysigning

Will there be another PGP Keysigning party this year?

Keysigning, merrymaking, and drunken debauchery of all sorts.
    Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

If there is, I'm pretty sure I'm not invited.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike
      If there is, I'm pretty sure I'm not invited.
      You would be invited, but would you show up? Maybe to socialize or argue with me in person. ]:>

Comment

Well VS, I invite you. Even if you and CotMan dont agree about everything. Hell, I'd donate vodka to watch the two of you debate face-to-face.

Of course, the keysigning will have to be at someone's house due to the con being cancelled.
        Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

You know VS, there was a guy at the keyparty at DC12 who wouldn't sign my key, and that's fine...because I had cards that simply had my email, handle and key and that was it. I was an entrant in a contest, and had a forum badge with my handle on it. For the purposes of that key party, I felt I was not IDing anything but my handle. I was the person claiming to be "LosT" - Well, some people took my cards, and some didn't, claiming that they needed to see ID- I suggested to him that I could have faked ID, and since he didn't know my real name anyway, and the email address was for my handle, that real ID didn't matter. Needless to say I didn't show him my real ID (how the hell would he know via my ID that I really was the person on the DC message board using the handle "LosT"? That's right, no way...)

So yeah, I'll be doing the same thing again this year. A card, with my email addy, my forum avatar on it, and my key. That's it. If people don't want to sign when I'm running a friggin' contest then so be it, I don't know how to prove to them that I am "LosT" from the DC forum. ID won't prove that.

LosT

Comment

Originally posted by Salem
            Even if you and CotMan dont agree about everything. Hell, I'd donate vodka to watch the two of you debate face-to-face.
            I think that is the only real disagreement he and I have had on the forums. I respect Voltage Spike and have praised his wit and knowledge openly on the forums. If I would have found him at the Toxic BBQ, I probably would have offered him a drink.

As for not showing up, he does not strike me as a person who would really have any problem with showing up-- invited or not.

Originally posted by LosT
            If people don't want to sign when I'm running a friggin' contest then so be it, I don't know how to prove to them that I am "LosT" from the DC forum.
            That will show 'em!

Comment

I would like to attend...
              Are the/a card(s) mandatory?

Are we going to be online and downloading keys from a keyserver?
              (like... this is my key id... DL it and I will verifiy my fingerprint to you....)
              Then verifying them in person? (as much 'verifying' as can be done when dealing with people we don't really 'know' and with aliases) ((Maybe start with people that know eachother, then go from there... if 3 people know me in 'real life' and vouch that I really am dYn4mic... then other people know the people that signed my key... both twinvega and ck3k can vouch that i am who i say i am for example))
              Or should we bring them on some kinda media? (thumbdrive..?)
              Im semi-familiar with keysigning parties but I honestly and sadly have yet to attend one. I have a newly generated key and would enjoy participating.
              Feel free to correct/inform me if i have a misunderstanding someplace. The keysigning party doc is quite large.
              The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

I will go, to identify myself, I will write down my moniker on either my palm or on a post-it. I haven't decided yet.

If on my palm, wouldn't Las Vegas heat that causes me to sweat smear it off? But a post it, what color? bright red? That will attract attention, I need a solid dark color.
                Delicious Poison:

The difference between a nerd and a geek? Well a nerd does not wear Spider Man butt huggers.

Comment

Originally posted by dYn4mic
                  Are the/a card(s) mandatory?
                  Cards such as those LosT are discussing are pretty much mandatory. At the key party, you pass out cards with the indicated information to people that will accept them. After the party, each person goes through their stack of cards and signs them.

In other words, it's an "offline" event.

Originally posted by klepto
                  I will go, to identify myself, I will write down my moniker on either my palm or on a post-it. I haven't decided yet.
                  Most people are not willing to go through the hassle of copying your information to sign your key. That is the reason you bring cards.

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                  I think that is the only real disagreement he and I have had on the forums.
                  That's only because I tend to keep my mouth shut most of the time.

In all seriousness, TheCotMan and I aren't adversaries by any definition. In fact, we tend to agree on most of the discussions here (in that, TheCotMan presents the facts, and I can't argue with facts ). I don't drink, but I'm sure TheCotMan is thirsty after all of his typing and I'd be willing to help him quench his thirst.

Oh, and he is correct: being invited is certainly not a requirement for my attendance.

Comment

That is correct, nobody wants to sit and write down keys...last year people just handed others cards, introduced themselves and that was it...a quick stop in the contest area was about all it amounted to....

LosT

Comment

Ah.. offline event It all comes together now...
                      I'll hopefully get some cards made. thanks for the reply.
                      The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

Sweet, I need to update my keyring anyways!

If you guys want to get creative, one of the joys private information operations is having access to a print shop.

I'll get some prices online soon for one to four color business/PGP cards if you can have them done to some industry specs.
                        Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

PGP Keysigning is on!

I'll have to pick the best time and place for the Signing, but I want to try and grow it from last year. Any ideas to try and make it easier for people to exchange fingerprints, etc. would be helpful.

I'll update the PGP business card template that I made last year, as well as have a laptop set up so I can sign on-site people's keys on the major keyservers.
                          PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent
                            I'll have to pick the best time and place for the Signing, but I want to try and grow it from last year. Any ideas to try and make it easier for people to exchange fingerprints, etc. would be helpful.
                            Add a $5-10 cover and include all you can eat sushi!
                            Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Originally posted by LosT
                              That is correct, nobody wants to sit and write down keys...last year people just handed others cards, introduced themselves and that was it...a quick stop in the contest area was about all it amounted to....
                              LosT
                              True, I still have LosT's card. Nice to meet him. Frankly, I don't have a lot of use for PGP (your mileage may vary).
                              I'm so *legal* nowadays...

Al
                              "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Working...
                              X