dc in popular science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dc in popular science

I just received the latest issue of Popular Science which has a decent article on Defcon. Check it out.

The website still has the March issue up (as of April 11) so nothing there yet.
    Last edited by theprez98; April 11, 2005, 20:37.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Originally posted by theprez98
    I just received the latest issue of Popular Science which has a decent article on Defcon. Check it out.

I will try to pick it up on Tuesday 4/12 and give it the same treatment online like I did with the Maxim article on Defcon.
    Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Originally posted by erehwon
      I will try to pick it up on Tuesday 4/12 and give it the same treatment online like I did with the Maxim article on Defcon.
      Having never been to a Defcon, I can't judge the accuracy in which the author describes anything, but to me it seemed like a reasonable article.

Comment

I spoke to one of the PS reporters at DC12, she seemed nice enough...

LosT

Comment

Originally posted by LosT
          I spoke to one of the PS reporters at DC12, she seemed nice enough...

LosT
          Famous last words heard many a time before the press took something and spun it the opposite direction.. :)
          .:. Adrenaline .:.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrenaline
            Famous last words heard many a time before the press took something and spun it the opposite direction.. :)
            Yeah, but

1. It was popular science (not too worried there)

2. If you don't given them anything to spin, no harm no foul

LosT

Comment

If you don't given them anything to spin, no harm no foul
              "In other news, LoST claims lack of control of reporters causes harm or saves birds." [in spoken language foul sounds like fowl]

[or really bad: "Lost claims freedom of the press is harmful to turkeys!"]

Reporters are like politicians, lawyers, used car salesment, marketing, and sales people... to many of them, truth is often what they are paid to believe it is.
              Last edited by TheCotMan; April 12, 2005, 13:49.

Comment

Yeah, but

1. It was popular science (not too worried there)
                Call me cynical, but the press is the press, half the attendees at defcon are more trustworthy than your typical field reporter. :D

Not saying there arent some good ones out there though.
                .:. Adrenaline .:.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                  "In other news, LoST claims lack of control of reporters causes harm or saves birds." [in spoken language foul sounds like fowl]

[or really bad: "Lost claims freedom of the press is harmful to turkeys!"]

Reporters are like politicians, lawyers, used car salesment, marketing, and sales people... to many of them, truth is often what they are paid to believe it is.

Damn it Cot, I was hoping for a chicken reference.

It was going somewhere, but now my train of thought is just crashed all to hell...

LosT

Comment

A fellow attendee at work brought the article in to the office and passed it around. I thought it was a very good article. Another co-worker, who participated in CTF, also enjoyed the article. I, of course, was just thrilled to see the mention of "The Wall of Sheep".

As for the reporter, I've met her at at least one con and she was perfectly reasonable at the time (as is a reporter's job - social engineering), but the quality of the article is first rate.
                    If you can remember DefCon, you weren't really there...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisp
                      A fellow attendee at work brought the article in to the office and passed it around. I thought it was a very good article. Another co-worker, who participated in CTF, also enjoyed the article. I, of course, was just thrilled to see the mention of "The Wall of Sheep".

As for the reporter, I've met her at at least one con and she was perfectly reasonable at the time (as is a reporter's job - social engineering), but the quality of the article is first rate.
                      I think I met her at the AP bar if she also works for LV City Life...but maybe not.

Al
                      "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

opps

Well crap I didnt see it.
                        I should have Searched.
                        mage2atbleedingwounddotcom
                        KeyID 3B535825D9402365
                        FingerPrint C2AA E142 8826 BAE3 9C2B AA0C 3B53 5825 D940 2365

Comment

It's up on their site now:
                          http://www.popsci.com/popsci/compute...047679,00.html
                          Thorn
                          "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn
                            Good job on finding the article!

See Thorn, I knew there was a reason we kept you around even after missing my talk

Having never been to a Defcon, I can't judge the accuracy in which the author describes anything, but to me it seemed like a reasonable article.
                            I'd say it was a reasonable article about an aspect of Defcon, but not about Defcon as a whole. Most articles focus on one or two specifics events at defcon which is completely understandable since to cover everything would take more space then most journalist are allowed.

Going from that perspective I think it was pretty fair and accurate. But honestly, if you want to understand defcon, the only way to really do it is to attend.
                            Last edited by highwizard; April 15, 2005, 09:23. Reason: Because I can

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                              But honestly, if you want to understand defcon, the only way to really do it is to attend.
                              If only I can convince the wife...

Comment

Working...
                              X