Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DefCon 13 fun in the sun

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DefCon 13 fun in the sun

    What do you look foward to this year at DefCon? Meeting up with old friends? Talks Talks Talks? Pool2? Lowering your voice and becoming "a man" (cue SceneW)?

    As odd as it may sound, I'm looking foward to talking to like minded folks. Las Vegas truly is a wasteland when it comes to computers/computer security. And the scavenger hunt as well sounds like good fun in the sun. Oh, and who can forget Toxic BBQ! Wasn't there last year, but will make it for sure this year.
    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

  • #2
    I enjoy not getting the deer-in-the-headlights look when I ask someone a computer question.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by astcell
      I enjoy not getting the deer-in-the-headlights look when I ask someone a computer question.
      I thought you liked giving the deer-in-the-headlights look with your flash. A cetain picture of CK3K from last year's forum meet comes to mind...

      Seriously, I know what you mean. Just relaxing and talking with folks who know/do similar things is quite refreshing.
      Thorn
      "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

      Comment


      • #4
        Kicking back with a few (hundred) drinks, seeing friends, having some fun in the competitions, seeing some very interesting talks, and generally doing things and having experiences that no-one back home will believe.

        For me, it's a 3-5 day chance to get a years worth living done and see great people in person. Also gives me an excuse for more PVC pipe construction projects :)

        I will get my revenge on Jdumas!!!
        Never drink anything larger than your head!





        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by renderman
          I will get my revenge on Jdumas!!!

          Heh...we'll see.

          I am looking forward to the one time of the year when almost every one of my friends is in the same place at the same time. That, and walking blisters onto my blisters, getting zero sleep, running contests that are either too hard, too easy, too lame, too cool, or too 1337 depending on who feels like complaining at the time, spending 4 months preparing a vendor area that would have been much better if someone had sold <insert obscure item here> this year and dealing with the fact that we had too many shirt vendors, too few shirt vendors, wrong sizes, too many choices, blah blah blah.

          Oh, and who isn't looking forward to 4 straight days of a diet consisting solely of Alexis Park pizza because you don't have time to go get a real meal.

          And the worst thing? I honestly can't wait to get there and see you fuckers again. Perhaps my shrink was right...I really must enjoy the pain.
          perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by renderman
            Also gives me an excuse for more PVC pipe construction projects :)
            How about a PVC cage we can build around someone who falls asleep? That could be interesting. Of course I'll take pictures.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by renderman
              Kicking back with a few (hundred) drinks, seeing friends, having some fun in the competitions, seeing some very interesting talks, and generally doing things and having experiences that no-one back home will believe.

              For me, it's a 3-5 day chance to get a years worth living done and see great people in person. Also gives me an excuse for more PVC pipe construction projects :)

              I will get my revenge on Jdumas!!!
              I know you must be looking forward to HighWizard pissing on your leg again... I mean, who wouldn't look forward to that?

              As for what I'm looking forward to, like others it would have to be seeing everyone I chat with and only get to see once or twice a year. To me, that IS Defcon. Oh, and you can all bet your asses that Team Jesus will be making its Second Coming this year.
              You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chris
                <snip>preparing a vendor area that would have been much better if someone had sold <insert obscure item here> this year and dealing with the fact that we had too many shirt vendors, too few shirt vendors, wrong sizes, too many choices, blah blah..
                Chris, many of us appreciate you and the others efforts. Thank you for making DC work. Some of us buy drinks for you. Looking forward to seeing you at DC13.

                Al

                P.S. By the way, could you make sure there are more 2x or 3x tshirts? Defcon Zippos?, pocket tees, no problem getting into talks, and a special orange version of Grifter's shirt?
                "Are my pants...threatening you?"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Everything about it, the likeminded people, the booze, gambling & lights..
                  Getting away from here for a few days most of all, the flight out..

                  Looking forward to the BBQ, had fun last year, contests, and lectures of course.

                  But every year im always amazed, I see someone do something new, may be a stroke of genius or something so stupid Id never have thought to do it.

                  But thats what keeps the evenings fun..

                  For example: Females dressed in laptop parts, remote control car penis's & parties with bullhorns & a bible to deface.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Let be honest.. Everyone really looks forward to defcon so they can see me, and what wacky thing I will do next.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I'm looking forward to a much more laid back Defcon experience this year considering the events that took place last year... somehow I get the feeling that it won't be any more laid back than last year despite my plans to not take on so much crap. I'm definately not looking forward to another weekend of heat stroke... bringing plently of water this time around.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by highwizard
                        Let be honest.. Everyone really looks forward to defcon so they can see me, and what wacky thing I will do next.
                        Um, after what I saw last year how are you going to top that stuff?


                        I look forward to seeing everyone again in person, getting to network with new people, maybe catch a talk or two, trying to make it to the vendor area before all the really cool shirts are gone, and just having fun being able to be at Defcon.
                        "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by [Syntax]
                          But every year im always amazed, I see someone do something new
                          That's why I go to Defcon: the surprises ... surprise and fear ... fear and surprise ... the two reasons I go are fear and surprise ... and ruthless efficiency (thanks Chris, et al!). The three reasons I go to Defcon are fear and surprise and ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatical devotion to all things geeky. The four ... no ... amongst the reasons...

                          Originally posted by Tierra
                          I'm looking forward to a much more laid back Defcon experience this year considering the events that took place last year...
                          After Defcon 9, it's all downhill.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Oh, I fogot. I also enjoy hitting on Lil_Freak and Tierra. Good times :surprised
                            "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Godminuson1
                              I know you must be looking forward to HighWizard pissing on your leg again... I mean, who wouldn't look forward to that?
                              Who would'nt, it's vegas after all. Those pants burned nicely BTW.


                              Originally posted by Chris
                              Heh...we'll see.

                              I am looking forward to the one time of the year when almost every one of my friends is in the same place at the same time. That, and walking blisters onto my blisters, getting zero sleep, running contests that are either too hard, too easy, too lame, too cool, or too 1337 depending on who feels like complaining at the time, spending 4 months preparing a vendor area that would have been much better if someone had sold <insert obscure item here> this year and dealing with the fact that we had too many shirt vendors, too few shirt vendors, wrong sizes, too many choices, blah blah blah.

                              Oh, and who isn't looking forward to 4 straight days of a diet consisting solely of Alexis Park pizza because you don't have time to go get a real meal.

                              And the worst thing? I honestly can't wait to get there and see you fuckers again. Perhaps my shrink was right...I really must enjoy the pain.
                              I don't know about the rest of you, but it sure as shit beats the reality of my day to day life....

                              Seeing everyone again and meeting new people is the biggest draw. I would'nt have gone to shmoocon if I had'nt of known so many friends were going. I certainly would'nt keep risking the wrath of Utah if I did'nt think you guys were worth seeing.
                              Never drink anything larger than your head!





                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X