This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by noid
    <snip>I reload my own ammo too (not sure if that counts as an Art & Craft or not)
    I would call that an art & craft, but then again that's me.
    "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Noid:

Lindsay Books reprints some gems thanks for the link.

Comment

Rumor has it that I brew a nice stout and IPA..
        Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by che
          Rumor has it that I brew a nice stout and IPA..
          It's no rumor that you make good beer.

OB Craft:
          Stone tool construction: spearpoints, arrowheads, etc
          Have built a spear, hatchet, sinew-backed wooden recurve bow, and arrow, pump drill with bit, sling, and other assorted items commonly found in hunter-gatherer societies through history.
          No, I am not a survivalist.

Comment

Crafty stuff...?

I do chainmaille, leather working, and decorative knot tying

Thats sorta crafty eh?
            Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

Originally posted by drdank
              Don't real geeks use duct tape?

Always Duct Tape... If there's Duct tape over their mouth, they can't say no.. This is geek rule number 12.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                Always Duct Tape... If there's Duct tape over their mouth, they can't say no.. This is geek rule number 12.
                But it is all about consent. Not saying no is not the same thing as saying yes. O:-)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                  But it is all about consent. Not saying no is not the same thing as saying yes. O:-)
                  That's why rule 11 is, talk about something that the person will give an affirmative response to and quickly slip in "have sex with me" under your breath.

After they say yes, proceed to rule 12.

Comment

...After they say yes, proceed to rule 12.
                    Now that is crafty, but is that your hacker craft?

Comment

Originally posted by lil_freak
                      I would call that an art & craft, but then again that's me.
                      you would not be alone in that designation.

i realize that this thread was started without agenda or direction, but i have to say i've found it very meaningful and relevant. it is a perfect example of a phenomenon that i've been somewhat unable to put my finger on in the past, despite the fact that it resonates deeply with me.

how many people would agree with the following statement... so many individuals that one encounters on a day to day basis are, despite being wonderful human beings, unbelievably ineffectual citizens?

i'm not trying to make a knock against them personally, you understand. but i mean... how many times in our lives have we encountered people that just make us want to exclaim out loud "how the hell have you managed to live to your current age?!?"

this thread is a perfect example of why i feel so at home with the creative, techy community. we are, on the whole, a group of people who are willing to go beyond the basics in life and try to do things for ourselves instead of relying upon the services of others to get by. i don't know how many times i've described working on project of my own around the house when friends or co-workers have said something like "you know you could just hire a professional to do that for you and have it done in one day instead of making a whole weekend out of it."

i like making a project out of tasks that others seem so keen to just ignore. i feel validated by my distrust of products at face value and my inclination to take them apart and see why they perform (or don't) according to their advertised specifications.

like the original poster who started this thread, i don't exactly know where i'm going with this... other than to say that i'm really happy to have friends like the ones that i get to hang with at DefCon every year... friends who make me feel like less of an outsider when i choose to do things with my own hands in lieu of calling a contractor or expecting “more qualified” people to step in for me.
                      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

I couldn't agree more... as a matter of fact during recent stint in Seattle Noid and I were talking about just this thread as well as the fact that we both believe that there are few other "communities" that could be anywhere near as self-sufficient as ours.
                        If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

I leaned this rule first hand at DC11
                          "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
                            I couldn't agree more... as a matter of fact during recent stint in Seattle Noid and I were talking about just this thread as well as the fact that we both believe that there are few other "communities" that could be anywhere near as self-sufficient as ours.
                            A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
                            -Lazarus Long

Nice knowing between all of us we cover that list and then some!
                            "There are no failed experiments, only more data"

Comment

Originally posted by Abby_Normal
                              A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
                              -Lazarus Long

Nice knowing between all of us we cover that list and then some!
                              I'm not changing a diaper or pitching manure (at least not in the physical sense).. but sign me up for planning an invasion!
                              Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by che
                                I'm not changing a diaper or pitching manure (at least not in the physical sense).. but sign me up for planning an invasion!
                                /me having spent my misguided youth on a farm have pitched manure and butchered hogs, trust me it's no picnic. Now, in my older and wiser years, I confine my specializations to trying to drink Budweiser dry, organizing orgies and converting virgins, I leave the planning of revolutions, quelling of uprisings, and planning of invasions to those with more energy...
                                I enjoy talking to myself...it's usually the only intelligent conversations I get to have.

Comment

Working...
                                X