K&R........
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by Someone502
      Is there a website or book that would be a good teacher of C,

Thanks
      I don't think so. Too bad there is no quick and easy way to search the net or something.
      "There are no failed experiments, only more data"

Comment

Originally posted by Abby_Normal
        I don't think so. Too bad there is no quick and easy way to search the net or something.
        Well I'm sure he has already tried asking Google, and of course he would have checked the Search function for the forums. Its a bummer that neither of these could help answer his question...
        Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

Originally posted by Someone502
          Is there a website or book that would be a good teacher of C,

Thanks
          For C++
          http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Comment

Introduction to C

A good book I used as a freshman CS student was The art and Science of C, This gives a fairly easy introduction to programming in ANSI C. One thing I always suggest to folks starting out with programming, is to firstly try for a good level of familiarity with the workings of the underlying hardware of the computer system they are playing on. Many of the concepts learnt from this make understanding why some things do, and don't work when utilising higher level languages. IBM PC Assembly Language and Programming is a good primer + if you can find a second hand copy not so expensive.

Comment

It may sound stupid, but 'Teach yourself C in 21 Days' really helped me. I hadnt programed in years so I had to start with the basics and its definately remedial. But it did the trick.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

I recommend The C++ Programming Language by the creator of C++, Bjarne Stroustrup. Without a doubt the Bible of C++.
                You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

Comment

I'm currently teaching myself C from the K&R book, read in conjunction with Steve Summit's Notes to Accompany K&R. I find the notes to be very helpful in understanding the book, what with this being my first programming language and all.

I also found a list of online tutorials on http://www.intelligentedu.com/cat3-2.html.
                  Last edited by theCount; June 6, 2005, 08:28. Reason: Cocked up the second URL, now it's the right one

Comment

I would recommend the O'Reilly book "Pratical C programming" to at least get your feet wet. I have run into a few books teaching differant things, but at least this one is easy to follow.
                    ~:CK:~
                    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

often overlooked

Programming is much more than learning a specific language--you must understand data structures and algorithms to do anything meaningful with a programming language. So, K&R is great for learning the C *language* but terrible for learning how program. If you are new to programming, then you probably want to pick something like Noid's suggestion of one of the "Learning To" series of books...really anything that introduces basic data structures like linked lists, hashes, and binary trees as well as the C language. If you know how to program already, than K&R is a fine introduction to C itself.
                      I program my home computer

Comment

I bought a book on C and another on C++ and they both sucked. I think anyone who wants to get into a book is at the mercy of the salesman and the cover art. If there were a rating system for the resulting career enhancement a book will give somone, I want to see it.

To many computer books are like computer paper: they exist just because they can.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                          I bought a book on C and another on C++ and they both sucked. I think anyone who wants to get into a book is at the mercy of the salesman and the cover art. If there were a rating system for the resulting career enhancement a book will give somone, I want to see it.
                          The best method I have found (beyond relying on trusted sources) is to visit a bookstore with a huge selection of books. Then I select several and randomly select from 10 to 30 pages from each book at random. As I read them, I judge them on how much I like the style, how dense the material is covered, and how much I learn in the selected pages. I walk away with the book that I like the most, and find this works really well for myself and others-- even when we end up choosing different books on the same topic.

Comment

I plan to buy books at Defcon, I sure hope the vendors think of your idea on what to sell!

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                              I plan to buy books at Defcon, I sure hope the vendors think of your idea on what to sell!
                              I remember "back in the day" they had one or two book sellers who would come in and sell tons of loompanics books, and other books including used books for really cheap. I picked up a few books on things like the history of con games, and whatnot.

Lately, books have been split across many vendor tables, and dont seem to sell as much as other swag; there is no "we sell only books" vendors with wide selections.

With the roof presentation space no longer available and growth in other spaces, we just don't have the vendor space we had at one time.
                              Last edited by TheCotMan; June 25, 2005, 22:25.

Comment

Working...
                              X