[UPDATE] theSummit 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

musique?

so hey is this meant to be more of a "mixer" or will it be a party-like atmosphere? (it seems like the former.) i think its always a good thing to have music and not to force the mixing so much..

i'm good at throwing parties and would be willing to help w/ publicity. and well if you need a dj (since it looks like i'll be there anyway)...

Comment

Originally posted by e.star
      so hey is this meant to be more of a "mixer" or will it be a party-like atmosphere? (it seems like the former.) i think its always a good thing to have music and not to force the mixing so much..

i'm good at throwing parties and would be willing to help w/ publicity. and well if you need a dj (since it looks like i'll be there anyway)...
      We will have a DJ on balcony area (takes up half of location) and it will be "relaxed mixer" inside. This should cover both sides of coin. You get your technical mixer, and a little bit of "Party likes it's..." side as well.

-Hackajar
      "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar
        We will have a DJ on balcony area (takes up half of location) and it will be "relaxed mixer" inside. This should cover both sides of coin. You get your technical mixer, and a little bit of "Party likes it's..." side as well.

-Hackajar
        gotcha. what kind of music are you planning on having? i'm just thinking that you could promote it as more of a party (at least the outside part) as well to attract people..

Comment

gotcha. what kind of music are you planning on having? i'm just thinking that you could promote it as more of a party (at least the outside part) as well to attract people..
          We really want to stress a "free flow of information" environment. There will be some very interesting minds there, and we want people to pick these people's brains, really get know know what drove them to write x tool or y paper, etc. Sure there will be booze and loud music, but really it's all about learning. Maybe you have an idea to improve a tool, or want to create a new one. You can get some insight from people who were/are in the same position your in now, and see how they overcame obsticles.

And yes, once again, there will be booze and loud music :surprised

Comment

once again, there will be booze and loud music :surprised
            that's all well and good, as long as it's consigned to somewhere else than the main gathering area. you mentioned a patio or other room, that's cool with me. i had understood this as a pre-con event for a "meeting of the minds" before the kickoff of the whole main thrust of defcon. if people want to nod their heads and just groove to sweet beats they can lay by a pool back at the alexis. i dig a party vibe, but i don't want to have to raise my voice a whole lot to converse with people at the summit.

just to clarify, however, i'm speaking about the loud music primarily here with my concerns. alcohol goes well with every single aspect of life and should never be curtailed for any reason.
            Last edited by Deviant Ollam; June 14th, 2005, 17:12. Reason: clarification
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

We really want to stress a "free flow of information" environment. There will be some very interesting minds there, and we want people to pick these people's brains, really get know know what drove them to write x tool or y paper, etc. Sure there will be booze and loud music, but really it's all about learning. Maybe you have an idea to improve a tool, or want to create a new one. You can get some insight from people who were/are in the same position your in now, and see how they overcame obsticles.

And yes, once again, there will be booze and loud music :surprised
              right. i agree that the free flow of information opportunity is a big factor. my point was, though, that some people like a party. so if you promote it as BOTH a party and an opportunity to talk to the interesting minds, you might be able to draw a larger crowd.

the outside/inside setup (if i understood correctly) seems to work well with that. if people want to dance/listen to music and chat, they go one place, if they want to just hang out and chat, they go to another. also, i'm still wondering what kind of music it will be.

Comment

Problem I see is that trying to throw an event thats both catering to a 'meeting of the minds' and 'party people' is somewhat mutually exclusive. I'm not saying smart people dont party and that people who party arent smart, but billing it as a party means the signal to noise ratio will go out of whack. The last thing your event needs is a gaggle of idiot ravers detracting from the smart people who have volunteered their time to talk.

Also, I've read the thread a couple of times and I think I may be missing something, but isnt this like throwing a mini-defcon just hours before the opening of Defcon itself? Seems a tad redundant, or maybe I'm missing the point.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

It should be noted that DefCon, while great, and very productive (for me anyways) weekend, I've always been bumbed that speakers and pannalist are too busy for small talk. Usually a "hey it's you, great to meet you! *shake hand* OK see you later!" is the normal outcome when I have good interesting questions to ask someone. This is just a great way to strap down these busy people and be able to have more then a 30sec conversation with them.

There are not speeches and talks at theSummit, but just the people behind these great talks. I certinly do not want to take away from what is DC, but rather add value, and raise some good money for the EFF at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                    Problem I see is that trying to throw an event thats both catering to a 'meeting of the minds' and 'party people' is somewhat mutually exclusive. I'm not saying smart people dont party and that people who party arent smart, but billing it as a party means the signal to noise ratio will go out of whack. The last thing your event needs is a gaggle of idiot ravers detracting from the smart people who have volunteered their time to talk.
                    i know a lot of very intelligent people that like to party. a LOT. and it seems like the statement of mutual exclusivity and the subsequent disclaimer are at odds with each other.

let me make this clear-- i'm not implying that it should be a huge rave-like atmosphere, but there should just be music somewhere so that if people feel inclined to dance or chat and listen, they can do so. kind of a party where you can sit and talk to people too. i've been to many of those types of events, and they surely seem to facilitate communication. it sounds like it may very well be this kind of event, so if you bill it as more of a chill out party thing, people might be more inclined to come. i would just hate to see it cancelled.

how are ticket sales going?

Comment

I think the whole point of the excercise is to appeal to peoples desire to interface with a lot of the 'main body of knowledge' being presented at Defcon, prior to crazy-madhouse-rushed weekend we all know it will be.
                      i'm not implying that it should be a huge rave-like atmosphere, but there should just be music somewhere so that if people feel inclined to dance or chat and listen, they can do so.
                      Who really cares about the dancing? There's an entire weekend for it. While background music is helpful, the party environment is usually "HEY, HOW ARE YOU? I'M GREAT, HOW ARE YOU? I WAS WONDERING ABOUT..." At which point people attempt to get AS FAR away from the music as possible to have a decent conversation. The opportunity to have all these people in the same room very rare indeed.

I'm of the opinion that there will be three days/nights of excessive loud music, dancing, socializing, etc.. why even try to bill this as the same, just earlier in the week?

Fwiw, if previous responsibilities don't get in the way, I plan on attending. It sounds like a lot of fun.
                      “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

Comment

Originally posted by spahkle
                        I think the whole point of the excercise is to appeal to peoples desire to interface with a lot of the 'main body of knowledge' being presented at Defcon, prior to crazy-madhouse-rushed weekend we all know it will be.

Who really cares about the dancing? There's an entire weekend for it. While background music is helpful, the party environment is usually "HEY, HOW ARE YOU? I'M GREAT, HOW ARE YOU? I WAS WONDERING ABOUT..." At which point people attempt to get AS FAR away from the music as possible to have a decent conversation. The opportunity to have all these people in the same room very rare indeed.

I'm of the opinion that there will be three days/nights of excessive loud music, dancing, socializing, etc.. why even try to bill this as the same, just earlier in the week?

Fwiw, if previous responsibilities don't get in the way, I plan on attending. It sounds like a lot of fun.
                        This is my EXACT thought on the whole event. Just FYI I'm at SANSFIre, and there are some 'big thinkers' that may be added to 'Feature Guest" list by time I retun (Sunday) that have soild interest in such a venture. So keep your eyes on the site!!

Comment

You got one more ticket sold. I'll be there from Tokyo :)
                          Livin it up in the digital metropolis known as Tokyo.
                          Tokyo's 2600 web page: www.tokyo2600.com

Comment

Ticket sales have picked up quickly with our mention on SANS internet storm center (isc.sans.org). If you were thinking of buying a ticket and have not done so, space is filling up quick, so hurray!

We also picked up two more guests from the Hacker Foundation, and another DefCon speaker Jim Rennie who will be talking about creative commons at DefCon.

We also have revised the website and added some more information and activities pages.

Comment

We also picked up two more guests from the Hacker Foundation, and another DefCon speaker Jim Rennie who will be talking about creative commons at DefCon.

Yes, and once people learn they can hear me expound on the Creative Commons, tickets are SURE to go quickly. Act now!

Comment

For sure man! Spoonm say hi btw, hanging out with him this week.

Comment

Working...
                                X