DCMC 2005 Filler Torrent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by converge
    hmm... I will research the port to forward on my firewall then, I suppose. That could explain much. Are there known security issues with this that I should be aware of?
    That would be client-specific. As far as I know, there are no "escalation" issues in the protocol itself. Implementation issues are more likely than protocol issues, and you can try Bugtraq or Full Discloser to search for security issues for your client.

Comment

While you should open up the ports if you wish to help with the seeding effort, I too can confirm that the upload is mediocre at best. I was getting about 10k/s until today and it seems to have jumped all the way up to 18k/s. And yes I know that my bt port situation is in line with the way of the badger.

Thanks for seeding guys, but for the first week or so could you set your cap to a bit more then 5-10k/s each?

Guess I should poke tierra and get a dvd to help with this situation.

Comment

Or set up a private means to transfer with higher bandwidth for those of us that want to seed. I could be up within a couple hours with a decent download, instead of 6 days.
        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by A
          While you should open up the ports if you wish to help with the seeding effort, I too can confirm that the upload is mediocre at best. I was getting about 10k/s until today and it seems to have jumped all the way up to 18k/s. And yes I know that my bt port situation is in line with the way of the badger.
          There was a "not connectable seeder" at 100% sharing at 40kB/s between 10PM-8AM (PDT) (and 6kB/sec during the day) but there was only 1 peer downloading at 3kB/s when at 40kB/sec. What this said to me was that there were no other leechers who were "connectable" for the "non-connectable seeder" to connect and upload to. 1 "connectable" out of a list of 16 leechers suggests most leechers are not connectable and can't share with each other. This means there may be only 5 seeders that are connectable out of the 10 seeders presently listed.
          This means that single connectable user gets the extra advantage of 5 more non-connectable seeders and the ~2.0 distributed copies.

Early reports from leechers on channel were positive. For them it was fast, when there were only 10 leechers and 5 seeders. Now there are 10 leechers, ~2 distributed copied and 16 leechers.

Thanks for seeding guys, but for the first week or so could you set your cap to a bit more then 5-10k/s each?
          I heard at least one is at 20kB/s 24/7 and is connectable, another is non-connectable and shares ~5kB/s except 10pm-8am PDT when it jumped to 40kB/s, and two or three others that were set to be around 30 or 40kB/s (connectable)

Are there any leechers who know they are "connectable" who can report faster speeds for downloading?

Comment

...wife is modifying firewall to forward appropriate ports. Should be connectable soon. I will open up my upload as much as possible once I return home, since it does little to effect my download. Based on what I see for upload traffic, I will throttle my band to allow the most connections/bandwidth.
            Last edited by converge; August 4th, 2005, 13:06.

Comment

...wife is modifying firewall to forward appropriate ports. Should be connectable soon. I will open up my upload as much as possible once I return home, since it does little to effect my download. Based on what I see for upload traffic, I will throttle my band to allow the most connections/bandwidth.
              Depending on your client, you may need to "pause" the torrent or stop and restart/resume for people to connect. It would be good to find out what differences exist between connectable and non-connectable WRT speed for this torrent.

Comment

I've uploaded 20+ GB and have been at a solid 100 KB/s (my cap) since the torrent went live. We have at least 4 decent pipes seeding so the problem would be those of you leeching. Don't leech. It makes Baby Jesus cry.
                Last edited by eco; August 4th, 2005, 18:20. Reason: Gross grammatic negligence

Comment

ok.. so I got the bt ports straightened out, thundercats and zelda cartoons are downloading, others starting connecting directly.. dcmc torrent gave no love.

I stopped the torrent completely, attempted to re-open so that others could start making connections... no love. Timeout trying to connect to the tracker.

This shit is worse than fservs.. the idea is great but I don't understand why there isn't a greater mechanism to deal with leechers.

Comment

ok.. so I got the bt ports straightened out, thundercats and zelda cartoons are downloading, others starting connecting directly.. dcmc torrent gave no love.

I stopped the torrent completely, attempted to re-open so that others could start making connections... no love. Timeout trying to connect to the tracker.
                    Check back in an hour or two to see if more passive peers have found you to upload to you.
                    Here is the last update I heard about:
                    seeds: 10 seen recently, plus 2.987 distributed copies
                    peers: 18 seen now, 33.3% done at 1111.2 kB/s

If I am reading this correctly, 10 seeds, ~3 distributed copies (aomng the) 20 peers.
                    1111kB/s divided by 18 peers is ~61kB/sec as an average which is almost half of a T1. If that is average, and you are at 20kB/sec, then someone else is probably running much faster.

On another note, one of the passive seeders reported to me that they have 4 or 5 people now listed instead of just 1, so there must be more people who are connectable out there.

Comment

Im uploading at 48K without any problem to 21 leechers. Ill continue to stay on, although I get unplugged every once in a while when people around here want a decent gamming experience. Sometimes they forget to plug me back in and i don't come back to the computer that often.

Comment

Currently at 91.9% with a download of 195.9KiB/s and an upload of 34.8KiB/s.

Comment

well I have 100% of it now.. and have uploaded 8.54 gig's already. Don't leech assholes.
                          If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

I can't reconnect.. I keep getting 'cannot contact tracker' timeouts ... is it just that all windows bittorrent clients suck balls? ... I'm getting a very bad impression of bittorrent, but it seems like everyone else is doing perfectly fine.

fwiw, my Zelda and Thundercats torrents are happily moving without issue...

Comment

is it just that all windows bittorrent clients suck balls? ... I'm getting a very bad impression of bittorrent, but it seems like everyone else is doing perfectly fine.
                              I have somewhat concluded that most BT clients do indeed suck balls. I use Azureus, but hate how much it slows my computer down by using Java. Once I got my router configured correctly (forwarding a random port like 49156) to my laptop it has worked well. I'll transfer the file to my desktop when I get home so it can seed all the time to help out.
                              jur1st, esq.

Comment

Originally posted by jur1st
                                (forwarding a random port like 49156)
                                BitTorrent needs one port per each person connecting to you. An entire range of ports is recommended if you are serious about not leaching. Some clients use as few as 10 ports, others (btlaunchmanycurses.py) use as many as 5000. Check the documentation or configuration for your client for more info.

I am also finished at this point, not sure on my total upload as I have to restart my client (btlaunchmanycurses.py again) to change the upload rate.

Comment

Working...
                                X