Video iPod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skroo
    Funny, that's exactly when I got mine as well. Ain't it great being screwed by the upgrade path?

I swore I wouldn't replace it until they were at or over 100GB total capacity. I wonder how I'll get shafted on that transaction...
    Yeah the day after the 100 gig model comes out and I buy it that damn Bono will release a special edition color that I happen to like. Aint Capitalism fun.
    Perhaps that could be your Platform in 08' Skroo, "Apple Reform."
    Last edited by allentrace; October 12, 2005, 21:44.
    Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
      video ipod looks pretty cool... but i'd want to get confirmation that i can play all sorts of sensible video and not just content that's been prepared specifically for the ipod itself. the following is from the spec sheet online...

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats. MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

bloody hell, would it have killed them to make it able to play MPG, DivX, and XviD files? the ability to output to s-vid or composite is fucking badass, but i don't look forward to reencoding parts of my video collection just to play them on the ipod.
      Hopefully later on down the line it will support WMV
      Answering easy questions since 1987
      Si Dieu est pour moi, qui peut être contre moi?

Comment

Well, all inputs have a minimum record of 64kbps .. so if your looking for really low quality lengthy voice records that is the lowest. For the internal mic my iRiver h340 only records up to 128kbps, but for the external mic and line in it will record as high as 320kbps. I have not seen a setting for it, but from mild playing 192kbps is the rate recording from the FM Tuner is performed at. I verified that the setting is not shared with any other input.. I had not other inputs set to that rate when I recorded.. so maybe 192 is a hard set for the FM Tuner.. or maybe I just need to rtfm.

In addition to all the other praises I have for it, I like it for quick/easy recording of my music. Plug her right into the line out on my bass amp and I have 320kbps of my playing ready to roll.

Not saying its the best option, I can only guess there is _something_ out there better. I know that Creative has come out with a unit that has builtin video out and better video support than the iriver firmware hack.. but I've yet to find a unit that isn't touchy about the video encoding. But its still better than an iPod (Whhazaam).
        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge
          but for the external mic and line in it will record as high as 320kbps.
          that's badass... didn't know it could do nice high bitrate like that. what model do you have?

Originally posted by converge
          the iriver firmware hack.
          did a bit of googling... is this hack for the H-series? i have to do more reading to better learn what the units are capable of.

[additional snarky comment]said additional reading will have to be someplace other than their company web site, however, as it looks like an ass-tacular flash-only affair which makes me want to wretch. yeah, after a couple minutes of nosing around iriver.com i think a hearty "fuck that" is in order.[/additional snarky comment]
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

The model I have is the H340 (40GB drive) .. the 320 is being phased out but might still be found somewhere.. (20GB drive, same specs otherwise). The firmware hack I'm using, of course, is for my H340.. which is really just the Korean firmware version that was not released in the US. Downsides are that it is limited to the format of video required (easy conversion of any existing media through nifty iriverter program, and can only play 60minutes of video at a time (iriverter allows automatic chopping of output files into 60 minute or so segments).

If you are even slightly interested in the iRiver, THE source for info and mod-a-bility is the MysticRiver Forums. Last I new there were even newer models with bigger color LCDs and whatnot.. all this is in abundance on the forums..
            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

con, thank you so much for a great start on this topic. a whole new apple-free world is open to me, moments before i considered throwing in the towel and just opting for an iPod. this is the perfect example of why i love this community.

much beer is owed from me to you, in your debt am i.
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

If anyone is looking for just straight music playback, I'd also recommend the Creative Zen line of mp3 players. I've got the 60 GB Xtra, and the wife has the 5 GB Zen Micro. The Xtra is the size of a Walkman, but with 60 GB's and the ability to transport data as well, it works great for me. Linux compatibility is no problem. The Micro is a helluva player, with the FM tuner that's supposed to be able to record to mp3 as well. I haven't tested that function out, but the wife loves it. For the money, I totally recommend them for music-only needs.

If anyone cares.
                Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan
                  If anyone is looking for just straight music playback, I'd also recommend the Creative Zen line of mp3 players. I've got the 60 GB Xtra, and the wife has the 5 GB Zen Micro. The Xtra is the size of a Walkman, but with 60 GB's and the ability to transport data as well, it works great for me. Linux compatibility is no problem. The Micro is a helluva player, with the FM tuner that's supposed to be able to record to mp3 as well. I haven't tested that function out, but the wife loves it. For the money, I totally recommend them for music-only needs.

If anyone cares.
                  No it is a good option, my sister absolutely loves hers and has had no problems with it. The battery life for one thing far exceeds my Ipods and it also seems you do not have the problem with the batteries life before you need to buy a new one. I Know in the earlier Ipods they would really be cheapskates and not even replace obviously faulty batteries in the Ipod.
                  Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

Apple seems to have this annoying habit of fucking over its customers knowing that they will blindly come back and beg "More more more!" even after being assraped.

That said I am awaiting the day I can purchase a Pentium-M based PowerBook... not to mention a Nano or a Video iPod...
                    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                    [ redacted ]

Comment

Working...
                    X