Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Contest?

Hi,

I'm working on building a wireless picture frame that you can upload pics to. I read an article on Gates' house and he had pictures that changed. So, I want to build a wireless picture frame. Could this project fall under any current contest category?
    "640k ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

hmmm... from the sounds of the NicNac contest ... I think they're shooting more for a build-from-kit (that they provide) challenge than the original IP Appliance contest, last I heard at least.

.. not sure if the hijacked IP App contest rules will have changed, but this kind of project would probably be more suited for that.. if anything like past years then just making your project work would almost guarantee a win. Although if you worried about nailing it, I would probably focus on things like:

) sleakness, since it isn't exactly a new idea make it slim, trim and cool looking
    ) features, nifty ways of updating, interacting etc with the frame, picture transitions, interoperability with other things... ie, wouldn't it be cool for a mode where you could feed the frame a gallery URL and it would slideshow through the gallery album?
    ) means of securing access ... I want to officially start the poll of how long it will take for goatse to be displayed .. I say 31 seconds.
    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/7edc/

I like the idea. ThinkGeek sells a frame that does some of what you are talking about and some of what Converge is talking about. Now maybe throw in a web server where you can directly upload pics, instead of linking to external sources, or any other features, and you might have a winner.

Either way, go for it. Even if there's no contest that it specifcally fits into, do it and bring it, you might find the judges complimentary if it's really slick and nice.
      Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan
        Now maybe throw in a web server where you can directly upload pics, instead of linking to external sources, or any other features, and you might have a winner.

Might be cool to see something like this that can run driftnet

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan
          Even if there's no contest that it specifcally fits into, do it and bring it, you might find the judges complimentary if it's really slick and nice.
          ..or a beer .. or just plain old cool points

Comment

Details added to the LosT Neural contest this week-

Definately cool points...

LosT

Comment

Originally posted by Tacitus
              Might be cool to see something like this that can run driftnet
              I've been discussing with with some local geeks - They want to build an antennae for range. I don't care about that - the picture frame will be indoors anyway.

I'll build a shadow box, Use the LCD from an old laptop and mount the mobo and components behind it - without the case. (Think of it like folding the laptop backwards and lengthening the lcd wires.

I'll use a wireless pcmcia card. So, I can upload still and (god forgive me) with Win. Media Edition, I can up video too!

You guys are right. For a viewing public, I'll had to put as much time in the aesthetics of the frame as I will the tech stuff. And i'm no artist. I was just thinking a high gloss black finish but if anyone has ideas to beautify the frame..holler at me.

Goatse huh...well that will be funny but would have been hilarious last year because nobody expected it.

Dosem't cotman run the Appliances contest?

Thanks guys,

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by SlackJaw
                Heh. Nope. The only thing I run around here is my mouth-- speaking metaphorically. I am not a goon, not a speaker, and do not run any contests. I don't really do very much, when compared to everyone else.

There are several TCP/IP-related contests. This one [Net Appliance Contest] is run by Neural and Lost. I've met these two guys and there is very good potential for a great contest.

The other one is the TCP/IP enabled Device contest run by DC480, but I do not think I have met the people who are running that contest, so can't offer predictions about it. (See these two contests in the unofficial contest/event space.)

Comment

Thanks guys,

Tommy

Oh the irony.

Is history repeating itself Cot :) ?

hehehe

LosT

Comment

Originally posted by LosT
                    Oh the irony.

Is history repeating itself Cot :) ?

hehehe
                    Dang. I hope not.

We've even included "Run by Neural and Lost" to the contest description subforum that you and neural are running, and "Run by DC 480" (with link) for the other contest run by them.

Maybe you and Neural should get your info in to black beetle right away to help make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                      Dang. I hope not.

We've even included "Run by Neural and Lost" to the contest description subforum that you and neural are running, and "Run by DC 480" (with link) for the other contest run by them.

Maybe you and Neural should get your info in to black beetle right away to help make sure.

I'm lost...(which isn't a stretch by the way) but I take it Cot has been involved in the past?

How many DC's have you attended Cot?

I see that astcell is backing out because he now resides in NC - My neck of the woods. I thought about kidnapping him and hauling ass across country.

If I go - and plans say YES right now - I wanted to make a few intros beforehand - that's why I busted on the scene here. Just wish I'd picked a cooler name - maybe I can talk a mod into changing it later. Kinda like "neo" Don't believe anyone has ever used that.

Anyway...if someone promises to keep me drunk I'll toss astcell in the trunk and bust into Vegas like I'm all leet and shit...

Comment

I'm lost...(which isn't a stretch by the way) but I take it Cot has been involved in the past?
                        I've never run a contest, acted as a goon, or acted at the primary organizer of an event at DefCon.

The few contributions I've made have been private, and/or silent and done to help people before or after the con. I also did not start contributing until around DC12. (I spent many years with just the people in my mini-group at DC, or as an individual observing others, or attending presentations.)

How many DC's have you attended Cot?
                        I think my first was DefCon 5, then on-again-off again from DC10-13.

If I go - and plans say YES right now - I wanted to make a few intros beforehand - that's why I busted on the scene here.
                        Joining (or if there isn't one, starting a) Local DefCon Group will give you 6 months of time to socialize with DefCon people in person. If any people in that local group have attended DefCon, they'll be able to help you with getting around the con, assuming you've never been to DefCon.

Anyway...if someone promises to keep me drunk I'll toss astcell in the trunk and bust into Vegas like I'm all leet and shit...
                        Though I would like to see astcell at DefCon to pay him the beer I owe him, I'm not sure how much success you would have with that kidnapping thing.

Comment

I don't think we'll have to worry about who is running what contest...I heard defcon was cancelled again...
                          "Just when I thought I was out.......They pull me back in"
                          - Neural's Godfather moment

Comment

Originally posted by Neural
                            I don't think we'll have to worry about who is running what contest...I heard defcon was cancelled again...
                            It is for this reason that the Voice over Netbeui Challenge will be postponed until 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by converge
                              It is for this reason that the Voice over Netbeui Challenge will be postponed until 2007.

Con, I don't know why, but that was funny as hell.

LosT

Comment

Working...
                              X