No announcement yet.

Hackers face life imprisonment under 'Anti-Terrorism' Act

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I am assuming to say that they suspect all hacker are terroists, I find this interesting to the fact that not all are destructive hackers. Now do you suppose a line will be drawn on who will be prosicuted, or will all suffer. In some respects I really think the the rights of the people are a bit trampled.

Oh yeah and here's another thought. So dose this mean we will all be under scurtiny if we go to defcon.

I dunno just a thought.
    There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by L0nd0
      So dose this mean we will all be under scurtiny if we go to defcon.
      I am sure this has always been the case. The Feds may be a little slow when it comes to intelligence, but they are far from stupid... :)

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave

I am sure this has always been the case. The Feds may be a little slow when it comes to intelligence, but they are far from stupid... :)
        But you know as well as I do that this has always been the case every year we have been to defcon.
        There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Wait, I said:

I am sure this has always been the case. The Feds may be a little slow when it comes to intelligence, but they are far from stupid...
          ... then you quoted me and said:

But you know as well as I do that this has always been the case every year we have been to defcon.
          ... resulting in us both saming the same thing... :) I have a feeling either we were up a little late last night, or a little tipsy.. ;)

Comment

It looks to me like every single law enforcement group is using September 11th to push their own goals through.
            The SS and FBI must love the idea of being able to have such sweeping and far reaching authority, like they didn't have enough anyways!
            The thing about it is that if ANY computer crime is now suspected they do not need a warrant to start electronically monitoring you. They have made computer crime the same as having the materials to manufacture nuclear / biological weapons. And the only people who get to make the decision of weather or not to proceed are the cops and we know how level headed and computer-savvy they are. Now really, how many of us, if something was suspected and they decided to delve deep enough, would survive their total scrutiny? Since now there would be no statute of limitations on computer crime, there would be something in most people's past.

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

-PoT

Comment

Originally posted by PoT
              Now really, how many of us, if something was suspected and they decided to delve deep enough, would survive their total scrutiny?
              The mechanisms known to use that are used can easily be trumped. It is a method of knowing what they are doing and just stepping around it.

Here are some basic guidelines:
              Encrypt Everything "Private" and store it offshore in a few places, encrypted with different keys for each place, change keys often.

Do not use mainstream forms of communications for "Private" data. Most devices and mechanisms are made for things people use each day.

Don't tell anyone about your "Private" data. If you tell someone a secret, it isn't a secret anymore.

... if there is nothing to filter, sort, parse, collect... what else is there?

Comment

And don't put your password on a post it note on your monitor.

I used to have a shell that said "Enter password to decrypt" but it would really shred. Feds copy the disk in question and then hack at the copy just in case a trick like that exists.

I like the idea of keeping stuff offshore, make sense. Maybe with faster PCs and DSL you can simply run on a Terminal Server and have your "desktop" in Rangoon. Tempest defeating software is available online for free. What else is there?

Oh I am sure the FBI and SS know this, but there also was a day that they could not check out .com sites since they are USA, they could only check out overseas sites. We know this not to be true. The feds have some great folks, just more paperwork and beauracrats making the decisions, sigh.

Comment

Well if passed it would generate one hell of a decline of "newbies". The price would be too high to pay to learn in anything by your own isolated network.
                  Apex

http://www.shadowbiz.net

Comment

Originally posted by Apex
                    Well if passed it would generate one hell of a decline of "newbies". The price would be too high to pay to learn in anything by your own isolated network.
                    Actually, there are various sites that use soft token certificates to logon to an ssl site. These are quite effective, and generally secure in the sense that people will move to simpler targets first.

Newbie data is always on public servers, since there is no hardcore info that would put the site with the newbie data at risk :)

Comment

Wait, I said:

... then you quoted me and said:

... resulting in us both saming the same thing... :) I have a feeling either we were up a little late last night, or a little tipsy.. ;)

Yeah pretty much :) , hehe you know me.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Yeah pretty much :) , hehe you know me.
                        I think you are the first person I have met that explains they will be passing out, before doing so.... that was too funny. i just pass out, without warning. :)

Comment

I need a sponsor in case I pass out at the con, someone who can make sure that I do not end up with magic marker all over my body.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                            I need a sponsor in case I pass out at the con, someone who can make sure that I do not end up with magic marker all over my body.
                            Sure, leave that all up to me... <evil grin>... <evil echoing laugh>... just leave that all to me... <pinky to lip>... just sign this little waiver thing, and release form...

Comment

HAHA yeah, no i've learned my lesson with passin out at partys, when its time to slepp i head on out to my room.

altough do you remember that guy who did get owned, he actually had a beer balenced on his head and a bble in his hand it was great. DC 8 was a good con.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

DC 8 was a good con.
                                DCX can only be better... :) Already got my owned stickers printed... and the disposable cameras...

Comment

Working...
                                X