Hardware and Airports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware and Airports

Pretty silly question but will picks be provided or do we have to bring our own? I will be flying and i'm not sure if i want to risk trying to get through an airport with a bunch of pointy objects. Anyone have experience trying to get picks through an airport?

Originally posted by cyberfr0g
    Pretty silly question but will picks be provided or do we have to bring our own? I will be flying and i'm not sure if i want to risk trying to get through an airport with a bunch of pointy objects. Anyone have experience trying to get picks through an airport?
    I've gotten picks through checked baggage by doing this: I have a small narrow bag (in a former life before it came to me, it was probably a makeup bag) and dumped all manner of metal "girly things" into it. Bobby pins, nail file, etc. Into this mix I threw the picks. It is unlikely they'd scrutinize every metal object, if they could even make out the picks in that hodgepodge. I have never used the nail file or the bobby pins for anything other than getting picks through the airport.

I'd like to claim credit for this, but it was Medic's idea. Apparently, he spends more time with girlie things than I do. ;)

Comment

If it's in check luggage, they don't care. They are not cops and don't care to check your legal status to carry them. They will care if you take them in your carry on though...

Just as mfreeck suggested, jam it in with your toiletries and no-one will bat an eye.

(IANAL, don't believe anything I say, including this)
      Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by cyberfr0g
        We had a thread from a previous year about this. However, that thread is unavailable for continuted discussion, so this thread is a good topic to include again.

Some states like New Jersey have laws that make it illegal to possess any tools that would allow you to bypass the locks of a vehicle without a key. Though I feel courts would probably not consider screwdrivers, wire cutters, pliers or hammers to be a violation of this, by the very letter of the law, posession of lockpicks a violation of this.
        Deviant Ollam has disagreed with me on the point of enforcement for this law to make lockpicks illegal to own in New Jersey. I am going to guess that he might write something liek this:
        "Even if this was a problem, I doubt it would be an issue unless you were caught breaking into a vehicle. with them" (Let's see what he would really say. :-)
        (/me checks to see if Deviant Ollam has spotted this.)

The law may primarily exist to address "slim jims" and other lock bypass tools. Technically, lockpicks allow a skilled user to bypass locks on cars without a key. It would be for a judge to decide if lockpicks counted or not.

Most other states have no restrictions on posession of lockpicks, though some may have restrictions on the sale (id required) of them, and transporatation of them (US Mail.)

In some states, possession can make other crimes worse, like trespassing, if you are caught carrying while trespassing.

People have posted that other countries outside the US have laws limiting legal access to lockpick tools, to professionals.

With the above considered:
        If you are flying from a place without laws covering lockpick tools to a place without laws covering lockpick tools, and are in the air, then you should be able to place them in your checked luggage, but NOT your carry-on luggage.

If you are traveling on ground, travel through places where possession of lockpick tools is not restricted.

To avoid "problems" in Las vegas, use them in private, or at Defcon, (Using lockpicks in public, even on your own car, or at a "freiend's" office is at the least, suspicious, and could cause your fun time to be postponed if questions are raised.

(According to a guy at a locksmith shop for lockmisths in Las vegas, there is some sort of law that makes it illegal to demo lockpicking in public. I don't remember if I ever found a city law about this, so treat it as a rumor until verified. Technically, Defcon requires admission, and so is not "public" but "private." ALOA has had classes and conventions in Las Vegas too, with lockpicking demoed, and this was not a problem in private.)

Previous years, people were required to bring their own lockpicks. However, many vendors have sold lockpicks in the vendor area, and there are places in Las vegas you can buy them, and you can always UPS or FedEx them to the hotel you will stay at, if they have your name as holding the reservation, and that name is also on the package with a note about your arrival date. However, contact to hotel to verify this protocol. If you confirm this, or find out other information, please followup with a correction so others can benefit from the info.
        Last edited by TheCotMan; June 18, 2006, 00:16. Reason: typo

Comment

new jersey is a state which, like so many others, has an "intent" clause written into the law. unless the state can make a case which includes evidence of criminal intent, you're likely in the clear.

as others have mentioned, you're almost always able to buy picks at the defcon vendor area. while we won't be selling lockpicks in the village, we will have trial sets available for people to play with or compete with. we require a cash deposit, but you get it back in full as long as you don't walk off with the pick set or bend/break them.
          Last edited by Deviant Ollam; June 18, 2006, 12:06.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Re: Hardware and Airports

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
            new jersey is a state which, like so many others, has an "intent" clause written into the law. unless the state can make a case which includes evidence of criminal intent, you're likely in the clear.

as others have mentioned, you're almost always able to buy picks at the defcon vendor area. while we won't be selling lockpicks in the village, we will have trial sets available for people to play with or compete with. we require a cash deposit, but you get it back in full as long as you don't walk off with the pick set or bend/break them.
            I believe LSI will be selling lockpicks in the LockPick Village.

Comment

Working...
            X