Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My #1 biggest problem with DEFCON this year...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My #1 biggest problem with DEFCON this year...

Originally posted by Abby_Normal
    The roof pool would be great, but at the moment it leaks. Do we bring in enough $ that it would be worth it to the Riv to repair and open it?
    Why must there be water in it? Safety? What if we devise a way to simply cover it over?

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike
      Why must there be water in it? Safety? What if we devise a way to simply cover it over?
      Because... the only thing more dangerous than a pool filled with water at night without any lifguards is a pool *without* any water or lifeguards at night!

Seriously, pre-con recon was completed and found the roof pool to not be an ideal location. It turns out that people reported management offices presently overlook the roof pool, and the roof is a location used by employees for smoking breaks.

I think we have at least one discussion thread about this in the pre-Defcon 14 threads.

Hope this helps

Comment

Or fill it with something that doesn't leak?

Originally posted by BlackOrchid
        Not meaning to insult/offend all of these ideas put forth, but so far we're still not coming up with anything nearly as personable as direct contact.

I'm still meditating on ths personal contact dilemma. But digitalizing is something we could have done at home and thus absolutely no need for defcon.
        Agreed. My tech suggestion was an attempt to solve the problem by centralizing communication. And as has been pointed out previously, the riviera does not have the optimal layout for casual direct contact. Even if we get the roof pool (as has been suggested), I think it'll suffer the same issue the chill out room did: it's not in the path of casual migration.

No matter how I think about this, the courtyard pool seems the optimal location/solution.

Comment

I think an SMS repeater that people could add themselves to before con would be a great idea. It'd need some kind of moderation system (and a moderator) to decide what messages go out though, otherwise it'd surely get flooded by some jerkass spammer
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
          [ redacted ]

Comment

How about making it into a big ball pit!!! :-D
            "There are no failed experiments, only more data"

Comment

begin of a thread where the roof pool was found to be less than ideal, even if the leaks were fixed

There is/was a non-/dev/null-ed thread too, but this /dev/null-ed thread provides sufficient summary, and is closed. ]:>

Comment

How can we shape the areas we have to better centralize and socialize real people? There needs to be some area that the majority pass through on their way to a conference area.
                This was my conclusion as well. Considering the turnout this year, it is forseeable that Defcon could leverage the Fire Marshall debacle friday along with the attendance load to show that the convention needs committed, dedicated space.

If the space used by the Dart convention was given to Defcon next year, what inventive design could be used to create better socializing experience? The Riviera has great convention opportunities, but is sorely lacking on opportunities to socialize.

The AP was good for socialization due to centralized areas that all traffic flowed through. At the Riviera there were sterile hallways connecting all the of the different rooms. At no time did you *have to* walk through specific areas (CTF, Chillout rooms/Dunktank area). An attendee could pick up their badge, visit the three speaker rooms and *never see the rest of the con events*. That idea is completely alien to everyone who has attended cons at the AP.

There were two primary outside accesses to the Convention:
                1) external doors outside of Reg
                2) external doors leading to hallway that lead to convention space.

If we had the rest of that convention space, the registration area could be setup at the external doors outside of all the convention space. The space in between reg and the speaker rooms (including hallway) could be lined with activity information, scheduling, etc. The idea of reserving the roof pool sounds great but due to its distance, unless Defcon had the entire tower connected to the pool, people probably wouldn't use it. The 'Chill-Out' room on the Penthouse floor in the Monaco tower was almost always empty. People couldn't find it (24th floor???) and it was quite a distance from the rest of the convention.

If I had to prioritize what I see as most beneficial to next years success at turning around the social vacuum from this year it would be:

1) Entire tower reserved for Defcon
                2) More convention floorspace organized to direct traffic flow and encourage ad-hoc discussions
                3) Pool area
                “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

Comment

I mentioned this in another post, but one of the things that I would like to have seen is areas designated for specific topics, like OSes, or network, or tools, or whatever commonality this group has. Even if these areas were simply pre-designated tables in a common room, I'm sure there would be additional reasons for people to congregate in this area, and therefore more ad-hoc discussions and encounters.

This was my first time at defcon, and while I enjoyed it immensely, I only ended up meeting "single-serving friends" and would have probably had an even more enjoyable time had I known where to meet people with similar interests. I also agree that this should occur in or very near a well-trafficed area.

Comment

Originally posted by Grendel
                    I mentioned this in another post, but one of the things that I would like to have seen is areas designated for specific topics, like OSes, or network, or tools, or whatever commonality this group has.
                    That's an awesome idea too! Can I be a leader of the DEF CON Transhumanists? Hmmm, DC>H
                    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                    [ redacted ]

Comment

This may be a little simplistic but what about using the Info Booth to leave messages and such for others. I think we can trust the Goons there will make sure that it does not get abused.
                      DaKahuna

Comment

A lot of us have been using dodgeball to communicate plans and it worked very well during Defcon. We all did a "switch Las Vegas" when we arrived and checked in when we went to bars, parties, etc. We also used it to broadcast party info to friends.

Don't be anti-tech, evolve!!

Personally, I loved how low-key things were on-site. This was the first year I managed to venture out and see some of the local sites without feeling like I was missing something awesome if I dared to leave/eat/sleep.
                        the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

I don't think anyone is being anti-tech. However, it does seem to be that we are PRO human contact. I could easily keep in touch with my already established relationships. It was the experience of meeting new people, whether likeminded or otherwise, that seemd to be lacking.

I've never gone to defcon to experience anything but defcon. If I want to check out vegas as a whole, I'll go at other times of the year. As it is, I want to experience all of YOU-PEOPLE-DATA-IDEAS-.. in or out of conferences.

AGAIN, I love technology but likewise, I love the interaction with real people who have their passions in various areas of technology. There's a balance. We cannot throw away one for the other.
                          In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Comment

Originally posted by octalpus
                            A lot of us have been using dodgeball to communicate plans and it worked very well during Defcon. We all did a "switch Las Vegas" when we arrived and checked in when we went to bars, parties, etc. We also used it to broadcast party info to friends.

Don't be anti-tech, evolve!!

Personally, I loved how low-key things were on-site. This was the first year I managed to venture out and see some of the local sites without feeling like I was missing something awesome if I dared to leave/eat/sleep.
                            The dodgeball thing looks kinda cool. Might be worth a try. Or maybe we could comeup with our own system.

My room was a hang out for a lot of people this year, So I didn't have a hard time finding people. But that was only good if we were in. Perhaps they could set up some kind of Con suite. They do it at other conventions. It's just a good sized suite that is open to everyone 24-7 and staffed by volenteers. They have munchies and a message board of some sort.

Works ok.
                            "There are no failed experiments, only more data"

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                              Some sort of message board would probably do the trick, or maybe a centralized, internal, Jabber server. Would be nice to hop on a local network and IM folks to find their locations and dinner plans.
                              That might be very possible. I'll take note for next year. As long as we have it all up and working on/by Wednesday, it should work out great. It's low-resource - and given that we have a spare box to run it on, shouldn't be any big deal to run. If it's well-used, we can continue it. If 3 people use it, then we know we can "divert our resources elsewhere" </corpspeak>

Lock

Comment

I've entertained the idea opening the top pool area to being exclusive to defcon attendees ONLY for day and all night 'raves'. Why can't the hotel give us a little more liberty given our recent history of relative calm and control with the help of our goons. Make the upstairs pool exclusive to coolers, music, and our regular mayhem. (I'm sure there is insider information regarding the inability to do this but I'd like to at least hear a reason against it. Thanks)
                                By "upstairs pool" do you mean the one that was drained, no water in it? If so, no can do. We asked about that. That pool is decommissioned (decades ago, if I understood correctly). It's not even accessible to the public any longer.

But yeah, we did talk to Convention Services about the possibility of DefCon-only event there... but no go. :(

Lock

[edit: forgive the late reply - must learn to read threads to the end before replying haha]

Comment

Working...
                                X