Lpcon5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lpcon5

Sorry for my extended absence. Real life has been just nuts lately.

Its time to start getting everything set for LPCON5 at DEFCON15. The website is up at: www.securitytribe.com/~doc/lpcon5/.

I would like to put out an invitation for the following:
    1. Recommendations for the rules this years SkillZ competition (formerly known as the speed competition) and also the Points competition.
    2. Recommendation for improvements over last year
    3. LPCON 5 official T-Shirt Designs. Please send to doc-lpcon at hotmail dot com by June 1st.
    4. Any requests for talks?
    5. Any volunteers to talk? (and the topic)
    6. Other volunteers to help (tracking points etc)
    7. Volunteers to bring locks and boards to add to the points competition
    8. Anybody have a company or organization that would be willing to provide some sponsorship (prizes, locks etc)?

Thanks All
    Doc

Re: Lpcon5

Originally posted by Doc-LPCON View Post
    Sorry for my extended absence. Real life has been just nuts lately.

Its time to start getting everything set for LPCON5 at DEFCON15. The website is up at: www.securitytribe.com/~doc/lpcon5/.
    New URL has been added to the description of this contests/events/ subforum.

Since you have been absent, you may have missed Russ' request to have contest leaders/organizers contact him about space and planning.
    If you have not yet done this, you may want to do this now.

Welcome back. :-)

Comment

Thanks, already contacted Russ with this info.

Doc

Comment

Here are the Lock Picking contests and rules: There are 3 this year.

Lock Picking SkillZ: This timed event will be composed of two elimination rounds consisting of multiple 6-contestant heats over two days. The final event will be a competition among the 4 fastest times and will be done on the now infamous “Tower of Terror”. This year, the plan is for the each round to be progressively more difficult.
        The primary rules are:
        - You must use manual picks
        - Plug spinners are allowed
        - Do not destroy the locks.
        - Drinking is encourage (if legal) its more entertaining for the rest of us.
        Planned Time: 1pm – 4pm Friday and Saturday
        Registration: Sign up by 12:30pm Friday in either the Lock Pick Village or in the contest area. You can also pre-register at doc-lpcon at hotmail dot com.

Lock Picking Points Competition: Here you will earn points based on different locks that you pick in the Lock Picking Village. Some will be easy, some hard and the lock picking team will track your scores throughout DEFCON with a prize awarded to the top point getters.
        Primary rules:
        - Follow all instructions on the locks or lock board for that lock
        - Do not damage the or destroy the locks (no bolt cutters, hammers, or weapons)
        - You can only get points for each lock once.
        Planned Time: While LockPick Village is open (Skybox)
        Registration: Sign up for this competition in the Lock Picking Village anytime while we are open. You can also pre-register at doc-lpcon at hotmail dot com.

Lock Field Stripping Competition: Contestants will have opportunity to disassemble and reassemble locks as quickly as possible. There is expected to be 4 Rounds of competition and everyone is welcome to participate. Locks grow increasingly complex with each round. Competitors should expect to see: Master Wafers, Sidebars, Control sleeves, etc. Competitors must COMPLETELY disassemble each lock in each round, display their disassembled lock to a judge, then reassemble.
        If the appropriate key no longer operates the lock, they are automatically disqualified. The slowest competitors will be eliminated each round, the exact number eliminated will depend on the number of participants. Participants will be expected to pick or shim their locks open, shims and picks can both be provided if needed. Everyone will receive a cardboard pinning tray to help them avoid losing parts. If, after 5 minutes, anyone has been unable to pick or shim their lock, a key will be provided for disassembly.

The final round will consist of the top 2 competitors from the previous rounds.

Both will be attempting to pick/shim a high security lock to be revealed at the event. If they desire, specialized tools will be provided to each competitor to help in the picking process.

Each competitor gets to keep their first round lock, just for participating, and the first and second place winners will receive prizes.
        Questions on this contest can be emailed to Schuyler, schuylertowne at gmail dot com.

Special thanks to our sponsors and volunteers (so far): University of Advancing Technology, TOOOL, Security Horizon, Deviant Ollam, and Schuyler.

Comment

Special thanks to our sponsors and volunteers (so far): University of Advancing Technology, TOOOL, Security Horizon, Deviant Ollam, and Schuyler.
          If you have specific URL for these, let me know and I can update the links in the description for this contest/event subforum to include links to them.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
            If you have specific URL for these, let me know and I can update the links in the description for this contest/event subforum to include links to them.
            University of Advancing Technology (www.uat.edu)
            Security Horizon (www.securityhorizon.com)
            TOOOL USA (toool.us)

Thanks
            Doc

Comment

University of Advancing Technology (www.uat.edu)
              Security Horizon (www.securityhorizon.com)
              TOOOL USA (toool.us)

Thanks
              Doc
              Description updated to provide links to the sites of the organizations providing support for your contest.
              :-)

Comment

Hats off to Deviant, Mouse, Doc and all the others (hope I got the names right) for a great LPCon5 and Lockpicking Village. This was my first DEFCON and LPCon and I love it!!!!

I will be back to compete again at the next DEFCON and hopefully make the finals this time!!!

Only one complaint .......Next year give the Lockpicking Village more room!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FeloniousFish View Post
                  Hats off to Deviant, Mouse, Doc and all the others (hope I got the names right) for a great LPCon5 and Lockpicking Village. This was my first DEFCON and LPCon and I love it!!!!
                  we're so very pleased that you had a good time! and yes, you got those names right but there were many, many others whose efforts were invaluable to pulling it all off... Chris, Eric, Babek, and the rest of the TOOOL crew back home. there's also Fiddler, Schuyler, Schmiedl, Marc Tobias, and others from the LSI crew, not to mention friends like Meee who so often show up and give mini-talks and advice when the rest of us are busy. Friends teaching Friends is how the skyboxes work so well. most of all, however, it's all of you who show up at the village and have a good time that makes a world of difference. thanks for being there and having fun while learning.

I will be back to compete again at the next DEFCON and hopefully make the finals this time!!!
                  we welcome everyone back next year... but i should warn you that the competition will not be anything like what you've experienced this time around. i'm taking over the LPCON and i have a whole host of ideas to bring some variety to the mix. (chances are that everyone will say i'm crazy and ask me to re-institute the old-fashioned heads-up picking contests in following years... but i look forward to surprising some folks at DC16.)

Only one complaint .......Next year give the Lockpicking Village more room!!!!!!!
                  i don't want to speak too soon, but we've already been told by a number of highly-placed defcon staffers and other folks who are in the know that the LP Village is likely to be a double-skybox next year (and so will the WiFi village... they will essentially have their space and ours from this year and the Lockpick happenings may move into what was the little-used "public hangout" skybox from this DefCon)

again, don't quote me on that since none of it is official... but the more people who email feedback@defcon.org requesting more room for the two villages next year, the better off we'll all be.
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

I too want to thank everyone that contributed this year to the success of the LP Village and the Contests. It just gets better and better every year. With any luck, they will come through with more space and that will give the Toool folks a lot more flexibility with what they do.

I expect that we will see great things for next year in the LP arena, evil and twisted but great hehe.

Thanks again everyone, it has been a pleasure working with you. Next year I'm brining my son, so maybe he will take third place with Wes taking first??? we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                      there's also Fiddler, Schuyler, Schmiedl, Marc Tobias, and others from the LSI crew,
                      :P Schmiedl and I are both TOOOL US! And proud of it!

Was an incredible time, I'm stoked for next year, and I hope to help in the design of next years competition.

Though...if you'd rather I didn't, I certainly wouldn't mind competing again ;) haha

Comment

Originally posted by Schuyler View Post
                        :P Schmiedl and I are both TOOOL US! And proud of it ... I certainly wouldn't mind competing again ;) haha
                        woops, sorry man, i didn't know.

as for the competition next year, i already have plans. the points contest will happen again in order to satisfy the "highly skilled" picking competition sort of category. i also loved the field-stripping and while i didn't see it, i would love to have it happen again if it went well.

the "speed" competition will be something that i want to completely change around and have happen in a highly entertaining way. it will be fun not just to be a competitor but also to be just an observer.

more on that later, however.
                        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

woops, sorry man, i didn't know.
                          Hehe, no worries, we comprise the leadership for TOOOL Boston & the other half of the BOD. LI will hopefully be out in full force next year, ready to throw down for some badges.

i also loved the field-stripping and while i didn't see it, i would love to have it happen again if it went well.
                          Went REALLY well and I'd like to expand on it for next year. Lot of people saw the inside of a lock for the first time at that event. I'm keeping an eye for auctions that'll allow me to stock up on locks and tools for folks for next year.

I need to organize it better this time, but that shouldn't be hard (or at least, not hard to top this years level of organization, hehe)

it will be fun not just to be a competitor but also to be just an observer.
                          I've heard some rumblings, and if what I've heard is what you're thinking, I'm pretty confident it'll kick ass, whichever side you're on.

Comment

Originally posted by Schuyler View Post
                            I've heard some rumblings, and if what I've heard is what you're thinking, I'm pretty confident it'll kick ass, whichever side you're on.
                            hehe, i doubt you've heard anything concrete, since the first time i spoke of my ideas to anyone was tonight in the parking lot of our gun range about two hours ago... so unless someone shot you an email around 9PM you may not have any updated info.
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

hehe, i doubt you've heard anything concrete, since the first time i spoke of my ideas to anyone was tonight in the parking lot of our gun range about two hours ago... so unless someone shot you an email around 9PM you may not have any updated info.
                              Ahhh, then you should talk to Omikron, as he also has fancy plans and pants to match.

Comment

Working...
                              X