Nerdcore at Defcon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Nerdcore at Defcon?

I think that Frontalot was serious about playing Defcon as well.

I will follow up on this.

LosT

Comment

Originally posted by LosT View Post
      I think that Frontalot was serious about playing Defcon as well.

I will follow up on this.

LosT
      Cool!

BTW, has anyone heard from Bink? He seems to be the music cordinator at DC. Big Beat would like to get some face time outside of theSummit.
      "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Hmm, didn't see many of you guys at the Las Vegas Nerdcore show in January ... but maybe that was simply due to a lack of advertising.

I've spoken to some of those guys about Defcon, but the problem is one of time. I'd love to see Minibosses, nerdcore, and other bands that you wouldn't normally see at the Friday night show ... but it isn't like there is a problem booking spots at the Black & White Ball, and I'd hate to screw up the theme that Bink has put together. I know many of us (especially Deviant) love the Minibosses sets, but it's always accompanied by a significant number of people dressed up in the back looking bored.

Anyway, if it's going to happen (if not this year, then next), my (mostly West-Coast because it's easier to transport/book) favorites are:

* MC Plus+ (he'll probably be in Phoenix around the time of Defcon, I'm not sure what Illingworth is up to)

* Doctor Popular (San Francisco, I believe)

* MCDJ (and DJMC) (Los Angeles)

* Beefy (Washington)

* MC Router (Texas ... and she won't fly but is willing to ride a bus)

I know they are very willing to come out and work for cheap. If something comes of this, I'm willing to put in the phone time to try and book these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike View Post
          I know many of us (especially Deviant) love the Minibosses sets, but it's always accompanied by a significant number of people dressed up in the back looking bored.
          hehe, well i certainly agree that i'm easily found way up front when they hit the stage, being a whole lot more moblie and exuberant than most folks typically see me, but i would posit that much of the lack of other similarly-excited people has to do with the fact that almost no one (at least among those with whom i spoke) knew that the Minibosses were playing (or where the B&W Ball was located) that night.

i called a bunch of people with my phone from right there in front of the stage and all of them were thrilled to hear about the show and tried to make it up there asap. plenty of other people i crossed paths with later in the weekend seemed sad they had missed it. if this year the ball is someplace more accessible (meaning both a lack of an elevator ride and a lack of a bottleneck at the door. i'm given to recalling the balls of old, simply in another room on the floor level at the AP next to the common area) and the lineup properly advertised (i think that last year it was mentioned at the very, very bottom of the page in font about the size of a correction issued in the Washington Journal)
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
            almost no one (at least among those with whom i spoke) knew that the Minibosses were playing (or where the B&W Ball was located) that night.
            ..disappointed folk with me probably being one of them. I was en-route to try and catch them for the first time in 3 or 4 years of attempting.. only to run into someone pointing out I just missed the set. I continued my way towards (since the evercool Ms Jackalope was on).. only to have the next person I ran into starkly recommend I change direction because shit was going down. :/
            if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Working...
            X