Here are the t-shirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are the t-shirts

Just finished the shirt design... If you click on it you can actually make changes yourself and save it as a new version, so if your graphics fu is better than mine go for it.

The shirts are the compulsory black, with grey and lime green text. Kind of retro-y.

The front reads, as promised:

"Not 0wned at DefCon 15".

Defenders who are compromised will get a special customized version, whereby by I put a slash over the "Not" with a paint pen. It's not cheap, and having multiple designs adds to the price, so for attackers who attain a "special" target, like a goon or presenter, I'll come up with some other schwag for you, I promise.

The back reads:

"DefCon 0x0F"
    "0wn the Box?"
    "Own the Box."

... and then there's a quote from Spaff, for the walker and wheelchair set like meself: "The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards. -- Gene Spafford"

What do you all think?

If you have any suggestions, or want to send an update, you can click the "save / send" link and send it to sk00t ~{at}~ cipherpunx ~[d0t]~{0rg}. Hurry, though, I need to get the order in tonight or tomorrow.

Oh, and if you're an entry and don't send me your size by tomorrow: you get medium. Why? Because that's what I wear, and if you don't show at least I get some extra shirts.
    Last edited by sk00t; July 11, 2007, 22:18.
    "Raise a toast to ... I think he might have been our only decent ."

Re: Here are the t-shirts

Originally posted by sk00t View Post
    Just finished the shirt design... If you click on it you can actually make changes yourself and save it as a new version, so if your graphics fu is better than mine go for it.
    If you click "swap item" on the left you can change colors of the tee. I also kind of like the goon red. Not sure if that is verboten or not. The navy is cool too. My wife (and most people who know me) tell me I have too many black tees already. If anyone likes another color better, let me know.

Comment

If you click "swap item" on the left you can change colors of the tee. I also kind of like the goon red. Not sure if that is verboten or not. The navy is cool too. My wife (and most people who know me) tell me I have too many black tees already. If anyone likes another color better, let me know.
      ... And here's an option B, in blue. No "owned / unowned" status, so it may scale better. This one has a ninjaburger sort of feel.

Thoughts?

Comment

the only change i would suggest may not be very workable... i would say make the front of the shirt simply say "not owned" and then have "defcon 15" printed on the sleeve (up near the shoulder) so that if entrants come back each year they could attach additional defcon names (or even other con names) as the contest grows (which it has the sure potential to do) and eventually perhaps have a whole listing of events on their sleeve like the war campaigns tattooed on Kurt Russel's arm in Soldier
        Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 12, 2007, 09:22.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
          the only change i would suggest may not be very workable... i would say make the front of the shirt simply say "not owned" and then have "defcon 15" printed on the sleeve (up near the shoulder) so that if entrants come back each year they could attach additional defcon names (or even other con names) as the contest grows (which it has the sure potential to do) and eventually perhaps have a whole listing of events on their sleeve like the war campaigns tattooed on Kurt Russel's arm in Soldier
          I like it! I could maybe do something with a stamp or somesuch and some paint. This also has the added benefit that I can reuse any shirts left over next year.

I really appreciate the kind words too, I do think this has potential to grow as well. It has become something that's taking a lot of my time and I'm stoked at the interest level. Just got another entry yesterday -- my count now is somewhere around 20-25 boxes, which with virtuals and other funkiness means probably we'll be close to using up all 30 keys and ciphertexts.

On topic, I think I'm going to order both shirt runs, the blue ninja ones and the 8-bit style black ones. I'll probably either give folks a pick or give the black ones to defenders and the blue ones to attackers who do something extra-tough like own a pile of machines or a goon / presenter.

Comment

Final T-shirt proof images

Okay, here's the final order. I ended up doing one shirt because it was about $100 more to go with two different ones. I have 26 shirts -- I am bringing 4 boxes, so with 30 keys even if we have all entries everyone should be able to get one.

Quick plug, by the way, customink.com is pretty cool: I like the Ajax-y interface to design online. They are supposed to be here in 2 weeks or less.

No one objected to either design, so I went with the chop-socky theme, and changed it a bit.

The text is from Sun Tzu's Art of War, abridged a bit:

If the enemy is at ease,
            be able to exhaust him.

If the enemy is well fed,
            be able to starve him.

If the enemy is settled,
            be able to move him.

Appear at places where he
            must rush to defend, and
            rush to places where he
            least expects.

Against those skilled in
            attack, the enemy does
            not know where to defend.

Against those skilled in
            defense, the enemy does
            not know where to attack.

Comment

Re: Final T-shirt proof images

... The text is from Sun Tzu's Art of War, abridged a bit:
              Nice. :-)

The super-condensed Art of War:
              "Choose your battles wisely."

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                Nice. :-)

The super-condensed Art of War:
                "Choose your battles wisely."
                I thought the super condensed was "The only way to win is not to play."

Comment

I thought the super condensed was "The only way to win is not to play."
                  That would be a specific case of global thermonuclear war or Tic-Tac-Toe, and is a subset of the, "Choose your battles wisely," since it suggests wisdom tells you that the only way to win these is not to play.

Joshua was not very smart, since it is possible to win in Tic-Tac-Toe. Why didn't he just choose to beat himself? It seemed his strategy was, "not to lose," more than, "try to win." If only playing a defensive game, what are your chances of winning?

In most battle, not very much.

In this battle, it seems that defenders can win by surviving for a set time, and when they do, get a Tee Shirt. :-)

Comment

This is meant to be kind of a joke, but who knows...
                    While we're all talking about classic Chinese texts of wisdom, why don't we move away from Sun Tsu and take a look at the really interesting parts of old war-literature? The Tirty-Six Strategieshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-Six_Strategies

At least one of them should be great for our purposes:
                    # The honey trap (Traditional Chinese: 美人計; Simplified Chinese: 美人计; Pinyin: Měi rén jì)
                    Send your enemy beautiful women to cause discord within his camp. This strategy can work on three levels. First, the ruler becomes so enamoured with the beauty that he neglects his duties and allows his vigilance to wane. Second, other males at court will begin to display aggressive behaviour that inflames minor differences hindering co-operation and destroying morale. Third, other females at court, motivated by jealousy and envy, begin to plot intrigues further exasperating the situation.
                    I guess the title should sound familiar to some. I think that if you can make some beautiful women come over and distract everyone who attacks your box you might stay un0wned even if you got telnet running and no root-password. :)
                    "You have successfully out-nerded all of Full Disclosure. I commend your total commitment to being an awkward social outcast." Some guy on FD

Comment

Originally posted by tatsumori View Post
                      This is meant to be kind of a joke, but who knows...
                      While we're all talking about classic Chinese texts of wisdom, why don't we move away from Sun Tsu and take a look at the really interesting parts of old war-literature? The Tirty-Six Strategieshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty-Six_Strategies

At least one of them should be great for our purposes:

I guess the title should sound familiar to some. I think that if you can make some beautiful women come over and distract everyone who attacks your box you might stay un0wned even if you got telnet running and no root-password. :)
                      Hrmmm. I think you will find that gender ratios at DefCon will make this a bit tricky in implementation. Maybe the HaXXXor folks will make a new appearance?

For non-physical females, which seem to be in larger supply, there's of course the pr0nified 404 option -- redirect all error pages to a few hundred gigs of jpegs and videos...

Maybe someone can implement? Ollam, anything on the traveling TB that might be applicable?

Comment

Ollam, anything on the traveling TB that might be applicable?
                        sadly, we tend to keep the TTB's pr0n-free since they make appearances in forward deployed areas, some of which are in places where the host-country's wacky moral norms would be "offended" by images of naked women... making said images verboten by military policy.

heh, between us, however, i'm betting we could come up with an astonishingly huge archive for folks to use, however. maybe we setup a separate drive just for that, hah.
                        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Still funny about no pr0n since I am sitting here with 800 no shit channels of pr0n, to include "Sexy-Arab" and "Gay-69" among 798 others. I guess Allah doesn't have cable.

Comment

Here's the final proof they sent me. I originally used a darker red called "cardinal" and they said on dark blue it will look pinkish, so this has the regular red. They also called to confirm the first "O" in own is actually a zed. :) Colors should be less pronounced on the actual shirt.

I think the text could be centered better, but they tell me they'll do this at printing and if I redo it there may be a delay in getting them.

Comment

I want one. Yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                              X