Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

    I will place myself in the pro-GH2 faction. I had no interest in it, or in gaming in general, but it was by far the highest volume of participation in the contest area that I saw, and to me that's awesome.

    Like Cot, I started out at DefCon only going to talks, coming alone, and not knowing a soul, and over the years I've got to know more and more people, but those first couple of years going back to my room after talks were over, or standing around by myself watching everyone else have fun pretty much sucked.

    There are many, many, leet / exclusive / high bar / technical things at DefCon that only a fraction of people can take part in, plus loads of invite-only parties, etc.

    Getting a bunch of socially awkward geeks, hackers, and crypto nerds interacting and talking? That's a nice hack, and to me that means it fits the spirit of DC.

    Plus, props to whoever the guy was in the OBSD shirt who was jamming to Raw Power by the Stooges. Made my day.
    "Raise a toast to ... I think he might have been our only decent ."

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

      You know Converge, you only won the Mt. Dew challenge because they made me laugh. You are going down next year.

      LosT, future king of the Mt. Dew chug contest :)

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

        Originally posted by sk00t View Post
        I had no interest in it, or in gaming in general, but it was by far the highest volume of participation in the contest area that I saw, and to me that's awesome.
        I'm not about to tell people what they should or shouldn't do at the con, but I will suggest that its popularity demonstrates my problem with it. It is human nature to gravitate towards "easy" events with low barriers of entry. If Guitar Hero II hadn't been there, how might those people have spent their time? It might not be more intellectually stimulating (e.g., the dunk tank), but maybe it would have been (e.g., trying to figure out a way to fight through the crowd at the Lockpicking Village).

        But, as you pointed out, perhaps GH2 could be considered the bottom rung in climbing up through the various events.

        Originally posted by LosT
        You know Converge, you only won the Mt. Dew challenge because they made me laugh. You are going down next year.

        LosT, future king of the Mt. Dew chug contest :)
        I don't know, I've been practicing my throat loosening skills (back off HighWiz).

        I ate at Kady's for the first time this year, and I think there should be a black badge just for surviving their food. They taught me that there is such a thing as green Philly cheese steak. On the other hand, props for bringing the soda out in a glass with a carafe on the side.

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

          Originally posted by LosT View Post
          ...you only won .. because they made me laugh
          and the burning yellow liquid shooting out my nose because of their antics, that was not enough even plain for you?? :p
          if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

            Originally posted by Voltage Spike View Post
            I ate at Kady's for the first time this year, and I think there should be a black badge just for surviving their food. They taught me that there is such a thing as green Philly cheese steak. On the other hand, props for bringing the soda out in a glass with a carafe on the side.
            The carafe kicked ass. I only had fries, so no complaints.

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

              Originally posted by Voltage Spike
              I ate at Kady's for the first time this year, and I think there should be a black badge just for surviving their food. They taught me that there is such a thing as green Philly cheese steak. On the other hand, props for bringing the soda out in a glass with a carafe on the side.
              No cheesesteak made outside the general vicinity of South Street in Philadelphia should ever be called a Philly Cheese Steak.
              "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

                Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
                No cheesesteak made outside the general vicinity of South Street in Philadelphia should ever be called a Philly Cheese Steak.
                Seriously! What the fuck is with people thinking they know what a Philly Cheese Steak is... There are maybe three places in Philly you can get a Real Cheese Steak: Pat's, Geno's and To a lesser extent Jim's.... Beyond that, they're just imitator.
                And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

                  Originally posted by LosT View Post
                  You know Converge, you only won the Mt. Dew challenge because they made me laugh. You are going down next year.

                  LosT, future king of the Mt. Dew chug contest :)
                  How did I not know about this. If Diet Mt. Dew counts, diabetic and avoid the real stuff, I'm in for next year!
                  DaKahuna
                  ___________________
                  Will Hack for Bandwidth

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

                    Dietery exceptions are fine by me, but may be dictated by availability at the serving venue. I was ready to handle a rematch right then, ice or no ice; I sure as hell will be ready for you smack-talkers next year!
                    if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

                      Originally posted by DaKahuna View Post
                      How did I not know about this. If Diet Mt. Dew counts, diabetic and avoid the real stuff, I'm in for next year!
                      Right there with ya... would have considered a diet coke/pepsi chugging contest! well.. if only to get a chance to maybe spew it into LosT's lap =D
                      Stypica - The Autonimous Tominus
                      Gullible people only use 10% of their brain...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

                        Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                        Seriously! What the fuck is with people thinking they know what a Philly Cheese Steak is... There are maybe three places in Philly you can get a Real Cheese Steak: Pat's, Geno's and To a lesser extent Jim's.... Beyond that, they're just imitator.
                        They're not even imitators...99% of so-called "Philly" cheese steaks don't even use Cheeze Whiz. I only say 99% instead of 100% because I actually came across one the other day that did!
                        "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

                          Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                          Seriously! What the fuck is with people thinking they know what a Philly Cheese Steak is... There are maybe three places in Philly you can get a Real Cheese Steak: Pat's, Geno's and To a lesser extent Jim's.... Beyond that, they're just imitator.
                          fuckin' A. you win philadelphia.

                          i haven't been to any of those establishments in ages, it seems. (quite remarkable, some might think, given my stocky frame.) hmm, now i think i want to. HighWiz, up for a late night spin past Pat's one of these days?
                          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                          - Trent Reznor

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

                            Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
                            They're not even imitators...99% of so-called "Philly" cheese steaks don't even use Cheeze Whiz. I only say 99% instead of 100% because I actually came across one the other day that did!
                            There's actually a place in San Jose to get a decent cheesesteak. Called Amato's... the rolls aren't exactly right, but they're the absolute best I've had outside of eastern PA.

                            I will, however, be enjoying a proper cheesesteak at Citizen Bank ballpark on Sept 8 along with a Yuengling lager and the biggest damn grin... I get all misty just thinking about it.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

                              People already do custom songs on Guitar Hero w/ modded PS2s:
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvTpbg7hSs
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zP9i...elated&search=
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kY7_...elated&search=

                              That would be fucking fun if next year someone showed up with all this stuff ready to go and some burnstation with tons of custom songs. There's alot of them out there, I had a friend burn one once but we coudn't play it because the songs were all expert and we were barely cracking medium at the time.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Re: WTF is up with guitar hero at Defcon

                                Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                                fuckin' A. you win philadelphia.

                                i haven't been to any of those establishments in ages, it seems. (quite remarkable, some might think, given my stocky frame.) hmm, now i think i want to. HighWiz, up for a late night spin past Pat's one of these days?
                                I'd seriously consider a day trip to Philly to get a cheesesteak with you guys!
                                "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X