black badge protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black badge protocol

maybe someone can clear up a question that i have. how are black badge holders let into defcon? it's been years now that i've had a black badge, but i've never needed to use it because i've either been a blue or red badge holder each time. that will be the case again this year, but i'd like to be able to use my black badge as a way to get someone else in, if that's allowed.

first question: does it work that way at all? are black badges in any way transferable if they're not being used by the person who originally won them?

second question: does the person using it walk around with the older-style defcon badge (albeit, in black) and does this cause confusion for the security goons (many of whom may be younger volunteers who never even saw the older-styles of DC badges)?

my black badge was from DC-12... the year that the badges featured a fatal flaw:

the very top of the badge where the lanyard comes in was exceedingly thin and broke easily. my black badge actually has cracks and shows weakness there and all it's ever done is hang on my bedpost with other con stuff. i would be very worried about giving my badge to someone else for her to get into DC15, and i know she'd feel pretty bad if it broke and got lost.

i heard once that there is a master list of all black badge holders which can allow them to register and procure a regular "human" badge at no cost. is this real or just a myth? this option would appeal to me a great deal, due to the badge concerns i expressed above.

or, if i can't transfer my badge at all, then we'll just have to figure something else out. hope to learn from someone in the know.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: black badge protocol

I was just told to find someone with a red shirt on Thursday and they would get me squared away.
    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Having worked reg, the answer has changed over the years, but the last official answer was that you wear your black badge in, it gets you in where you should be, you no longer get a human badge in return.

I personally hold a few black badges, one of which is a nice sturdy metal one. This, of course, is the one I lost in my hasty exodus from Texas. The ones I have left are held together by duct tape, as pretty much all of the badges that weren't metal had some pretty bad failure points (and the metal one is from the year of green necks.... aren't we glad we keep the lanyards from other years?).

I'd love to see a better solution, but I also realise that the number of black badge holders (4 years times a fuckton of contests) is growing rapidly. Is it really feasible to exchange these for current human badges? Probably not. Some of the "makeshift" badges that float around when supplies run low may be reasonable though, aye?
      the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post

my black badge was from DC-12... the year that the badges featured a fatal flaw:

the very top of the badge where the lanyard comes in was exceedingly thin and broke easily. my black badge actually has cracks and shows weakness there and all it's ever done is hang on my bedpost with other con stuff. i would be very worried about giving my badge to someone else for her to get into DC15, and i know she'd feel pretty bad if it broke and got lost.
        A good way to remedy that badge defect was to slide the lanyard through the opening and then loop the top back in between both halves. If the top is already cracked just put some tape around the area and use the above method.
        And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

I always wanted to know what happens if my Black badge is destroyed? I am assuming I am just shit out of luck. Either way, I am always extra careful with the stupid thing, as the Defcon 13 badge has the fatal flaw of shattering.

Second thing I was curious about is, how can the black badge holder get a human badge? Last year I lost out on the cool badge because they ran out....I am guessing the same thing will happen this year (buy more badges?). Is there maybe a way I can buy a badge at a discount?
          ~:CK:~
          I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Dammit. All my cool friends have a Black Badge... I feel left out. <sniff>

Originally posted by ck3k View Post
            Second thing I was curious about is, how can the black badge holder get a human badge? Last year I lost out on the cool badge because they ran out....I am guessing the same thing will happen this year (buy more badges?). Is there maybe a way I can buy a badge at a discount?
            ck, if you haven't been able to get a Human Badge by the end of DC, come find me. I may have an extra this year.
            Thorn
            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
              So what are you willing to do to get a black badge?
              And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
                Not that!
                (Whatever it is you have in mind. )
                Thorn
                "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Not that!
                  (Whatever it is you have in mind. )
                  I was going to say, "Make love to your wife"... But I see now that, you're just not into doing that.

Comment

I'll be happy with a badge of any color.
                    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Ill let you have my wife for a night, at least ill pay the hooker $10 extra to say that if it makes you happy. And by night i mean hour....

Comment

Originally posted by licutis View Post
                        Ill let you have my wife for a night, at least ill pay the hooker $10 extra to say that if it makes you happy. And by night i mean hour....
                        I said to Thorn "What would you do for a Black Badge".... So that would mean him having sex with his wife.... It was a private joke.

And to clarify, it would disgust me to have sex with your wife or any woman for that matter.

Comment

ck, if you haven't been able to get a Human Badge by the end of DC, come find me. I may have an extra this year.
                          You will get one soon enough :)

Awesome, Thanks, let me know! I know they are going to run out....and I am sure we can barter some nifty stuff for it, I don't want to see you leave empty handed.
                          ~:CK:~
                          I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

I said to Thorn "What would you do for a Black Badge".... So that would mean him having sex with his wife.... It was a private joke.

And to clarify, it would disgust me to have sex with your wife or any woman for that matter.
                            I find your lack of humor disturbing.....

Comment

Originally posted by licutis View Post
                              I find your lack of humor disturbing.....
                              Heh... Yea, I'm not suppose to flame people... So I'll just let things drop.

Comment

Working...
                              X