Anyone hear about BP gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone hear about BP gas?

Not sure exactly when or where, but there was a gas station that (accidentally?) changed its price(on the machines AND the sign) to 35 cents per gallon. I can bet they will blame one of three groups/types of people:

a:The Government

b:The Terrorists

c:HACKERS!

Why? because these are the groups they always blame.

Or, they might actually realize it was some guys honest mistake(or April fools joke?)
    is there any discussion?
    unda est terminus. is iuguolo ambitus.

Re: Anyone hear about BP gas?

Originally posted by sharxbyte View Post
    Not sure exactly when or where
    Mr. Google helps with said uncertainty.

Looks like this could have been the place in Wilmington, NC. Alternate article here. The part that really astounds me, however, is the following line...

A station employee said the company could trace back all of the people who used a credit card at the pump and get them to pay up for their deal of a lifetime.
    fuck you. the customers already "paid up" when they pumped the gas. it's not anyone's fault if you sell a product for a price other than what you meant to offer. that's even basic eBay logic... you have the right to correct the situation before the auction ends. after a transaction is completed, in my opinion, it's too late.

i'd almost wish i could be one of those customers just to have fun telling the company to go fuck off.

On an unrelated note, i can recall news stories of people using special codes at gas pumps after hours (i think they were regulator/fuel testing codes) to obtain absolutely free gas. (Regrettably i can't find any appropriate Google search that turns up results for "free gasoline" or "code stealing gasoline" etc)
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; April 12, 2008, 12:47.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
      On an unrelated note, i can recall news stories of people using special codes at gas pumps after hours (i think they were regulator/fuel testing codes) to obtain absolutely free gas. (Regrettably i can't find any appropriate Google search that turns up results for "free gasoline" or "code stealing gasoline" etc)
      What I recall were some stories about six to eight months ago about people unlocking the access panels, and disconnecting the computer. They may have been pump service guys who had keys and known the operational details of the pumps.

Considering the flimsy locks I've seen on the panels, I'm surprised it doesn't occur more often.
      Thorn
      "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by sharxbyte View Post
        I can bet they will blame one of three groups/types of people:

a:The Government

b:The Terrorists

c:HACKERS!

Why? because these are the groups they always blame.
        I like "C" for my answer, or at least I hope it's "C". Why not? We'd be freekin' hero's to the sensible people in this country and revered forever! Can't you see it.. "Hackers take back the country because Bush is too damn proud to make the f***** Iraqis repay for reconstruction in OIL!" "C" is my answer and I'm stickin' to it!
        Last edited by Greyhatter; April 12, 2008, 13:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
          What I recall were some stories about six to eight months ago about people unlocking the access panels, and disconnecting the computer. They may have been pump service guys who had keys and known the operational details of the pumps.

Considering the flimsy locks I've seen on the panels, I'm surprised it doesn't occur more often.
          We need of those cow killing devices they used in No Country for Old Men to open those gas pump locks, saw it last night. Nice shotgun silencer if there is actually something like that.

xor
          Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
            We need of those cow killing devices they used in No Country for Old Men to open those gas pump locks, saw it last night. Nice shotgun silencer if there is actually something like that.

xor
            I didn't see the movie but someone told me about it, wasn't it a cattle stunner?
            A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker69 View Post
              I didn't see the movie but someone told me about it, wasn't it a cattle stunner?
              Yes, otherwise known as a captive bolt pistol.
              "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98 View Post
                Yes, otherwise known as a captive bolt pistol.
                Cool, I want one. You still have to be able to hold on to it, but it would be interesting to play with.

It's on Comcast On Demand Streaker. Don't know whether I liked the ending or not(I won't spoil it for anyone). Have to watch it again to really decide. I think they definitely left room for a sequel though.

xor

Just did a search on captive bolt stunning, got a little more information than I was looking for. Don't think I'll be eating cheese steaks for awhile.
                Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

You still have to be able to hold on to it
                  yes, this was a part of the plot that violated newtonian physics in that most popular of movie methods... "equal and opposite reactions don't apply"

-=-=-=-=-=[ SPOILERS, POSSIBLY? ]=-=-=-=-=-

if you're stunning cattle you need to hold the bolt pistol steady enough so that the force of crunching through skull bone is adequately resisted by the force of your hand and arm. this isn't a hell of a lot of force, living things are (for the most part) fragile creatures. blasting a lock clean out the other side of a door (which, most of you may know, i have a bit of knowledge here when it comes to how all the metal bits seat together) would take a hell of a lot more force... police do it with "shock lock" rounds in 12 gauge and even that wouldn't work if you blast the lock in the spot where Chigurh hits them.

still... GREAT fucking plot device.
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

Just did a search on captive bolt stunning, got a little more information than I was looking for. Don't think I'll be eating cheese steaks for awhile.
                    /me points at xor: "City boy!"

So can I safely assume, that you probably don't want to know the details about how our family raised our own beef cattle when I was in my teens? None of our friends and family from cities could never understand how we could raise animals and then eat them.
                    Thorn
                    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

So can I safely assume, that you probably don't want to know the details about how our family raised our own beef cattle when I was in my teens? None of our friends and family from cities could never understand how we could raise animals and then eat them.
                      We say, "Beef, it's what's for dinner"!
                      Thorn said, "Beef, it was Daisy yesterday"!

Comment

Originally posted by barry99705 View Post
                        We say, "Beef, it's what's for dinner"!
                        Thorn said, "Beef, it was Daisy yesterday"!
                        Yeah, pretty much. Actually, that attitude is what I think a lot of city visitors found disturbing. However, they weren't raised as pets, they were raised as food.
                        Thorn

Comment

Yep me = city boy. Though I have visited chicken parts plants, not farms however. I've been close enough to slaughter houses in the city to smell them. Being in PA you don't have to go far to find a farm fortunately(actually I do know how to ride horses; English and Western as well as enjoy it).

We have people like Streaker, the Amish, and we are easily in the top five states for hunting. B. Obamas comments will hurt him in PA as you can't be against gun control or talk badly about guns and run in this state and win. I actually like the Amish, for me it's comforting to know that if technology took a total dump (war, solar flare, ...etc) that there are people out there who know how to do things and care for themselves that don't require electricity or much technology short of hard work.

Aside from that yes, I know little about the way food is processed. I have a friend and through her church she would take inter city kids out to farms to see how food was really made. As you can imagine they thought chicken & pork came from the super market. It was a real eye opener and a great experience for them. I don't think they actually slaughter an animal in front of little kids; maybe a chicken just to give them the general idea.

I would hope there would be some difference between a family farm and a processing center.

Anyway things are actually changing in the city. We have a large population from Puerto Rico in the city so in some of neighborhoods that I go into, I routinely see chickens & roosters. I was in this bar talking to this guy and we were trying to have this conversation and all of a sudden I hear baaaaaa. I look around don't think much about it and continue to talk with him, and I hear baaaaa again. He noticed I had a puzzled look on my face and I could see he was a little nervous so he walks over and closes the basement door.

No, I don't eat at any of these places but this is a growing trend with the price of gas getting more expensive and also the result of the big super market chains not servicing the inter city neighbors, and people want fresh food. It is also a cultural thing and I don't see anything wrong with it as long as these places are inspected by the board of health. This is growing trend in all large cities. If gas continues to go up we may all have to go back to growing some of our own fresh food, just something to think about. Personally, I have a black thumb when it comes to growing stuff. Man I couldn't even grow pot back in the day many many years ago and that's a weed. :-)

The city has torn down a lot of vacant building that were used by the drug trade, so there is a fair about of open undeveloped space in Philly these days. Many neighborhoods turn them into community gardens.

Don't get me wrong, Philadelphia has a lot of problems. We are still Murder City though I think the rate is going down for 2008 with the new mayor Michale Nutter in office. He seems like a good man, no nonsense, anyone in my opinion was better than John Street.

xor

Comment

No, I don't eat at any of these places but this is a growing trend with the price of gas getting more expensive
                            xor
                            Might be a good idea for me to start here in Australia...

Gas Prices - America (USD) vs. Australia (AUD)

America = 3.371 / Gal - www.GasBuddy.com
                            3.371 / 3.7854118 = 0.89052398 / Litre
                            Exchange Rate = 1USD / 0.928997AUD - http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/table.html
                            0.89052398 USD / Litre = 0.95858672 AUD / Litre

Australia = 1.365 AUD / Litre (http://motormouth.com.au/pricesearch.aspx?Region=Sydney)
                            I only drink because my friends are boring...

Comment

Originally posted by Lowie View Post
                              Might be a good idea for me to start here in Australia...

Gas Prices - America (USD) vs. Australia (AUD)

America = 3.371 / Gal - www.GasBuddy.com
                              3.371 / 3.7854118 = 0.89052398 / Litre
                              Exchange Rate = 1USD / 0.928997AUD - http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/table.html
                              0.89052398 USD / Litre = 0.95858672 AUD / Litre

Australia = 1.365 AUD / Litre (http://motormouth.com.au/pricesearch.aspx?Region=Sydney)
                              I'd be interested in seeing what the comparison is if you take out taxes. I've seen one economic columnist claim that if you do that against many European prices, it turns out that the US gas prices are the same if not more expensive. It turns out the EU nations taxes are very high percentage of the pump price.
                              Thorn

Comment

Working...
                              X