• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Welcome to the DEFCON Badge Hacking Contest

I will have scopes in the village.

LosT

Comment

Assuming these things are battery powered (as opposed to some manner of nuclear reactor), could we possibly learn the battery type and count, or overall supply voltage ahead of time so we can bring appropriate wall warts?

Comment

Why don't you just bring a few, and/or appropriate Vregs? I mean there can't be *that* many options, right?

Bring a 7805, 7803, etc... and hack your own (true hacker spirit!)

LosT

Originally posted by Wing View Post
        Assuming these things are battery powered (as opposed to some manner of nuclear reactor), could we possibly learn the battery type and count, or overall supply voltage ahead of time so we can bring appropriate wall warts?

Comment

That or places sell adjustable wall worts for universal adapters. I know radio shack has one that does a nice decent range one for like $20.

Or bring regulators like suggested. If you really want to "hack your own"...bring some diodes and reverse bias a few ;)

Originally posted by LosT View Post
          Why don't you just bring a few, and/or appropriate Vregs? I mean there can't be *that* many options, right?

Bring a 7805, 7803, etc... and hack your own (true hacker spirit!)

LosT
          afterburn

Comment

Spoiler alert!!!

For this wishing to get a pretty in-depth peek at the badge:

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/200...ive-defco.html

And, yes, it includes the battery type.
            Last edited by Voltage Spike; August 5th, 2008, 12:40.

Comment

Interesting. Definitely seems to be a simpler circuit this year. This is listed as a prototype, 'eh? Any bets on whether the circuit has changed?

Comment

This is why I hate, and love, Defcon. Everything is a puzzle. The mysterious message in the article, when decoded, appears to give a valid message but the results aren't too useful (I don't want to give away too many details). I'm wondering if it is a part of a contest that hasn't gone live yet...

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
                Interesting. Definitely seems to be a simpler circuit this year. This is listed as a prototype, 'eh? Any bets on whether the circuit has changed?
                Assuming the circuit hasn't changed, I'm wracking my brains trying to figure out what the different modes might be. So far, my prep work doesn't look like it will work out because the output appears so limited, but then why include the infrared components?

Oh, and I'm really hoping the SD card is there so that we can easily load our own software onto the badge (without soldering on the USB connector). The on-chip flash is in-application programmable. Any bets on whether the SD card will be writable?

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike View Post
                  Oh, and I'm really hoping the SD card is there so that we can easily load our own software onto the badge (without soldering on the USB connector).
                  I'm pretty sure the USB connector comes soldered on already.

Comment

Originally posted by Demo View Post
                    I'm pretty sure the USB connector comes soldered on already.
                    I was basing that on the article:

Keep in mind that the badge in the photo is a prototype, the actual badges will be a different color, won't have the USB and debug ports soldered on nor include an SD card (so bring one, seriously).

Comment

Whoops, my bad! I read in one of the original posts in this thread that it would be included and just assumed it would be on already, sorry.

Comment

Ok this is just a guess from looking at the badge, components and design.
                        I have nothing to back this up. You load files onto the sd card using a laptop ect,
                        adding a usb port would allow using the badge as a card reader without needing
                        one on your laptop. The badge can then beam files to other peoples badges,
                        maybe the card will have a incoming and outgoing folder. Modes on the badge
                        could be, "require confirmation before accepting files" so that you have to stand
                        in front of someone and press a button. Or maybe "accept all incoming connections"
                        where the badge tries to negotiate with anyone in proximity and exchange files/photos
                        ect.. Led's on the front could indicate sending and receiving of files, or possibly IR
                        connection strength. Something similar to the beam business card function on a PDA.
                        Last edited by [Syntax]; August 5th, 2008, 15:45.

Comment

OO0

You'll know if you figured it out. Thanks for that little treat, it got me in the mood for Defcon.

-b
                          Last edited by brianw21; August 6th, 2008, 07:08.

Comment

By mysterious message, do you mean the barcode or something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Demo View Post
                              By mysterious message, do you mean the barcode or something else?
                              I meant the barcode. Unless I'm missing another, even deeper message obscured by the first hidden message...

Comment

Oh good, phew. ;)

Any suggestions for barcode readers for the PC? My crummy old phone doesn't seem to support any. I'm trying to compile google's zxing and running into some problems as well, and I don't even know if that app will do it for me anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X