Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Welcome to the DEFCON Badge Hacking Contest

Originally posted by Demo View Post
    Any suggestions for barcode readers for the PC?
    Generic, all-purpose barcode readers? I haven't found any free applications.

1-D barcode readers? I spent forever and a day attempting to decode the Toorcon badge and I still don't know what the code said (if anything). The problem here is that all the barcodes look similar but actually encode differently.

2-D barcode readers, as in this case? I assumed it was the freely available Datamatrix barcode by its shape/look and then used the simple (and open source) libdmtx.

I haven't seen zxing before, but I'll give it a try.

Comment

1) Visit a library
      2) Be friendly to a librarian
      3) Explain what you are trying to decode
      4) Ask if you can use their PS/2 or USB keyboard wedge barcode scanner.
      5) Hook it up to your computer
      6) Launch a text editor and make edit space the foreground field/selected
      7) scan the barcode
      8) save the content of your editor to disk for later review

Though there are many bar code standards, many libraries use keyboard wedge barcode readers that can read a huge number of different barcode formats. Keyboard wedges are exactly as their name implies -- they usually sit between your keyboard and the computer.
      Attempts to scan a barcode result in the decoded data from the barcode getting passed to the computer as though a user typed it (really fast.)

Another option is shipping departments in medium to large organizations.

HTH (Hope this Helps)

Comment

So, based on that clue, I am guessing the chip has a game on it... Interested in getting my hands on it now to see what is going on inside.

Comment

Hrm, this is something I had not anticipated. I didn't bogart the barcode scanner from my rig at work because "Why the hell would I need that?"

Of course libdmtx came through. Cute. Why do I get the feeling the matrix on the production model is different?

Oh well. Now that I've seen the badge, I have some glorious ideas. Not sure I'll be able to find time at con to actually make them happen, though - may need to be a "I'll bring it back next year" thing.
          Last edited by Wing; August 5th, 2008, 18:26.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw21 View Post
            That was easier then last year I think???,you'll know if you figured it out. Thanks for that little treat, it got me in the mood for Defcon.
            Did you change the page? If so, I'm jealous. I didn't even consider write access, and either you've changed it so I can't touch it or my fu is too weak.

Also, what do you mean "easier than last year"? Last year was a binary-encoded message, but I don't recall it being associated with further riddles.

Comment

Will a regular barcode reader read that type? I have like 6 somewhere, Radio Shack had those CueCats a couple years ago that they were giving away.

Comment

Originally posted by [Syntax] View Post
                Will a regular barcode reader read that type? I have like 6 somewhere, Radio Shack had those CueCats a couple years ago that they were giving away.
                No, the CueCat won't do it. In fact, I'm surprised the barcode readers at the library will. Or maybe TheCotMan simply lives next to more technologically advanced libraries than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike View Post
                  No, the CueCat won't do it. In fact, I'm surprised the barcode readers at the library will. Or maybe TheCotMan simply lives next to more technologically advanced libraries than I do.
                  Maybe university Libraries have better technology. :-)
                  Because Inter Library Loan exists and there are so many different bar codes in use at different library locations, ILL Departments often have scanners that can read bar code formats used in libraries from around the world.

UNLV has some pretty decent tech in their library. They probably have scanners that can do 1d and 2d and support many bard-code formats.

Comment

I had the info decoded about 5 mins after the article went up :) you'd be surprised how many 2-d decoding apps there are for cell phones. :)
                    .:. Adrenaline .:.

Comment

Had to manually redraw the barcode to get it working.

Comment

Took a while for me - its pretty clear that quickmark for windows mobile is the way to go. The weird japanese qrcode reader didnt work, nor did .. scanlife? .. some other qr code scanner for windows mobile.

muahaha!

Originally posted by brianw21 View Post
                        oo0

That was easier then last year I think???,you'll know if you figured it out. Thanks for that little treat, it got me in the mood for Defcon.

-b

Comment

You don't need a scanner to figure out the barcode. CNET scaned it for you.

Comment

For the record, I used this tool (based on libdmtx) http://libdmtx.wiki.sourceforge.net/...dmtx_0.5.0.zip
                            to read the barcode DIRECTLY out of cnet's image (well, actually out of a BMP copy of it)

Comment

OO0 Purdy... Nicely done, guys. I'm looking forward to this more and more as the days get closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wing View Post
                                For the record, I used this tool (based on libdmtx) http://libdmtx.wiki.sourceforge.net/...dmtx_0.5.0.zip
                                to read the barcode DIRECTLY out of cnet's image (well, actually out of a BMP copy of it)
                                Thanks Wing, easy peasy. I tried about 10 different software packages yesterday trying to scan this thing, and my stupid phone doesn't support any of the cool scanner pacakges. I was about to go get a new phone just for this! :)

Comment

Working...
                                X