[Defcon 16] Welcome to the DEFCON Badge Hacking Contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Welcome to the DEFCON Badge Hacking Contest

The badge is a pretty good beginner board, it just lacks some switches and interface stuff.

Freescale sell a starter board which is pretty good.

However if you are just starting in electronics, but do have a background in programming, i'd got to frys or radio shack/tandy, or whatever your local electronics place is and pick up a basic stamp kit that you have to put together, they're cheaper and don't need extensive dev tools, once you've got the hang of those, the freescale dev boards would be next, or if you want to stick to the basic stamp but play around a bit more with electronics, i really like the comfile CB220/280 dev kit stuff, again reasonably priced but you can do a lot with it, and the dev kit has lots of switches, dials and leds to play with.

if you want something bigger than that, go with one of the Mikroe EasyPIC/ARM/AVR boards, they're awesome ,but they're pre made (as are the comfile boards)

the freescale dev boards are fairly simple to play with as well as easy to obtain, it also mostly matches the badge.

HC08 dev kit
    http://www.freescale.com/files/abstr.../HCS08DEMO.htm

Comfile's CUBLOC ( different processor, its based on the ATMega, but its a fun and easy board with a ladder logic or basic style language, and it comes complete, all you need is an rs232 to upload code, and you can make production pieces very simply with their proto board, they have displays and all sorts of stuff, spi,i2c etc. Their forums are a little bit inactive with some of the tougher questions, but there is a fair few sample apps on there too.

http://cubloc.com/product/01_05.php

Mikroe maybe overwhelming choice here, i have an EasyPIC4 for fast prototyping.
    http://www.mikroe.com/en/tools/
    HC908 based, so freescale, similar to the badge
    http://www.mikroe.com/en/tools/easyhc908/ (not out yet)

Sparkfun etc have some little dev boards to play around with, but they're not the best for beginners, as they usually just sell you the part and you're on you own, they do supply some stuff, sometimes, but it seems like its aimed more at the more advanced user. http://www.sparkfun.com

Also for simplistic development with sensors, inputs and so on, can't really go wrong with phidgets, but it gets expensive quickly and you're ultimately limited by their system.
    http://www.phidgets.com/

Personally i like to teach with the basic stamp kits from places like frys, then move to the comfile, then to the mikroe and then to the freescale kits etc.
    http://shop1.frys.com/product/5229937
    http://shop1.frys.com/product/5229667

Dependant on where you're located, you'll have different options, but most electronic places carry the little kits that you have to solder up, make radios or small processor circuits with basic stamps.

mouser and digikey carry most of the large OEM development kits.

Best of luck
    Last edited by charliex; August 14th, 2008, 11:56.
    - Null Space Labs

Comment

The downside to the DC16 badge is most of the CPU pins are unused...

And if you did develop code that would take advantage of extra pins on the CPU, you'd have to micro slober some wirewrap wire directly to the cpu...

Going the way of a dev kit or basic stamp is the way to go if your starting out.

I was thinking about adding a few extra features to the DC16 badge of mine, but right now it looks like i have to slober from the LED2-7 because those are PWM outputs, and I wouldn't have to wire off the CPU.... plus I dont have a iron w/ a tip that small or eyes that can see that small

Comment

unless i made some cock up in the code, my badge has no PWM on LED's 3/4. (and i can control pwm on all the other leds)
        Last edited by charliex; August 14th, 2008, 13:03.
        - Null Space Labs

Comment

Wow, thanks so much for all the info, charliex(and kajer). I'm going to get one of those beginner kits from Fry's and also check out my local electronics supply place(HSC) as well. I have taken a few semesters of C++ and also learned a bit of Perl and Python on my own, so I should be able to figure out the programming aspects, but I'm clueless as far as hardware. Looks like both those Frys kits come with a book, so hopefully that'll give me a good introduction. Thanks again!

Comment

yep the parallax stuff is pretty straight forward BASIC code and there are probably 1000's of web sites with demos and stuff, if you get stuck, just shout out.
            - Null Space Labs

Comment

Originally posted by charliex View Post
              unless i made some cock up in the code, my badge has no PWM on LED's 3/4. (and i can control pwm on all the other leds)
              The CPU is plenty fast enough do to 8bit or more of software PWM if you want to do a knight rider type thing. I had my badge doing fade in/out random patterns on all LEDs (no soldering required). I'll post the code up when I dig out the laptop I used, but the basic idea is to do a for loop, each iteration compare vs your brightness and set the LED pins (or just call the LED display function). this makes a constantish pulse frequency with a width linear to your brightness.

Running continuously, this loop only needs to be fast enough to repeat 40+ times per second to fool the eye.

Comment

yeah i wrote a little language for the sequencing of the LED's for the girlfriends badge, she wanted the PWM on so i spent some of the wee hours adding it, only to find that it wasn't the outer edges.

you can use the interrupts to manually modulate the led's instead, they you can set the rates easily without worrying about software timers, even though its not really a problem on the badge.
                - Null Space Labs

Comment

I tried the data logger firmware that freescale provides as a demo and was surprised that the temperature sensor returned a constant value. Does it require any extra components ? From the data sheet it looks like it is built in and should work out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by Demo;98280}...also check out my local electronics supply place([url=http://www.halted.com
                    HSC[/url]) as well...
                    HSC is the shit!

I try not to make a habit of it, but Weirdstuff -> HSC -> St.Johns for 1/2 price burger day on saturday, and HRO right next door if your into that sort of thing... It gets a little costly...

Comment

Has anyone started a web page or Wiki to track all that we have found out about the badge?

Just a quick rundown from many sources on the web:

1) From a You tube video: Cut one of the resistors for more IR output power. The strange thing about the You tube video is that the IR sender in the eye of the badge showed up blinking in the video.
                      2) Format the SD card for FAT16. Microsoft will do this for SD's over some size. A small SD card gets formatted FAT12.
                      3) the file on the SD needs to be 8.3 format and read-only.
                      4) the button on the back has three modes: receive, send, and sleep
                      5) holding down the button on the back and put the battery in and it is in Firmware update mode. (I think?)
                      6) I just went out to Freescale website and could download a 30-day trial of the software. So, after our License key expires we should still be able to update the badge. Congrats, to the gang that got the Firmware upload working under Linux.
                      7) http://defcon.org/OO0/ is what is encoded on the badge.
                      8) under where the USB port goes is: 10000100001:21ADDDEC1024
                      What else.

I really would like to see other peoples code.

I plan to mod this and bring it next year.

Comment

Originally posted by kajer View Post
                        HSC is the shit!

I try not to make a habit of it, but Weirdstuff -> HSC -> St.Johns for 1/2 price burger day on saturday, and HRO right next door if your into that sort of thing... It gets a little costly...
                        Except for St. Johns (Clarke's in Mtn. View FTW!), and missing a very important step in the morning, you just described my Second-Saturday-Of-The-Month morning and afternoon. Ahh, the eFlea. I don't get to make it up there as often as I would like. (I live about 200mi south.)

Comment

I'll give Clarke's a try one of these days, but what is this eFlea you're talking about??

Comment

Too bad you didn't get one of our uController kits at con- it was designed specifically for people in your situation.

LosT

Originally posted by Demo View Post
                            Can anyone recommend a VERY beginner kit to learn how to work with these MCUs/boards? This DC was my first time soldering anything, ever(yay got my USB port on) ;) and I'm really interested in learning more, but I don't have a big electronics background so I'd really like to learn from the ground up. I'm planning on taking a basic electronics course through my JC but I also want to be able to learn hands on in the meantime, get my soldering skills up, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by kajer View Post
                              I'll give Clarke's a try one of these days, but what is this eFlea you're talking about??
                              Clarke's, on El Camino just south/east of Castro. Best burgers on the planet. But I digress..

The Electronic's Flea Market (affectionately known as the eFlea) is at De Anza college in the north east corner parking lot every second Saturday of the month between March (April?) and September (October? They've moved the start and end months a few times and I can't remember where it is now.) Lots of good junk, and a few good gems. A fun time to meet up with fellow nerds, if nothing else.

(This is in Cupertino, CA, for those who are out of the area and are wondering what the heck we're talking about. This should probably go out-of-band. DM me if you have any further questions.)

Comment

Originally posted by FlyBoy2 View Post
                                8) under where the USB port goes is: 10000100001:21ADDDEC1024
                                What else.
                                There is an US Bee on a badge at http://www.defcon.org/OO0

The USB port on the real DEFCON badge has two numbers:

10000100001 binary == 1057 decimal == LosT in leet
                                1024 DECimal ADDed to 21 hex == 1057 == LosT in leet

Beyond that, I'm "lost."

Comment

Working...
                                X