Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Hacking Kits Poll

Hi ya-

The Hardware Hacking Village, brought to you by LosT, Russ, A and Kingpin has a question for you-

We can't give you the details of what we are offering (it's a secret until con begins) HOWEVER, how much would you be willing to pay for a Defcon exclusive hardware kit that may or may not assist in other CON events/activities (or *multiple* events/contests/activities)?

We can tell you that these kits will be limited edition (as in we anticipate selling out the first day)-

We will also have supporting accouterments in the village as well...

BUT, how much would you pay?

LosT
    None, not interested.
    0%
    $30
    15.79%
    $35
    15.79%
    $40
    23.68%
    $45
    7.89%
    $50
    44.74%
    $55
    28.95%
    I would give LosT all of my money for the answer to the Mystery Challenge.
    15.79%
    I don't know, but want to vote
    5.26%

Re: Hardware Hacking Kits Poll

I would prefer that it be a multiple of $20, though, to avoid issues with obtaining change...

Comment

That's a good point. There's just a "mental boundary" between say $55 and $60. That's just an example. We're trying to keep the price as low as possible while still affording ourselves the possibility of paying all of this stuff off so we're not losing a ton of $$$ on this venture. There is a balance somewhere and it all depends on the quality of the product (superior), the number of people interested, and the price point.

Originally posted by Voltage Spike View Post
      I would prefer that it be a multiple of $20, though, to avoid issues with obtaining change...

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
        That's a good point. There's just a "mental boundary" between say $55 and $60.
        that may be true... but trust me, half the time people almost prefer to not have to dick around and figure out change, find change when merchants don't have it, etc etc etc.

i've had lots of experience with super-small-scale con-related transactions and it has always worked out better when there were no divisions smaller than $10, or ideally $20.

(when there was some $10 breakdown, i'd say the bulk of the transactions happened with two people who would go in on a purchase together paying with $20 bills and figuring out how to even things out later amongst themselves. trust me, NO ONE wants to go back to their room or find a cash machine. even if $55 is a "savings" it just causes headaches.)
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

If we're talking about something with tools in it, I'd go up to 60. Otherwise, 40 is easiest, unless there are some real awesome, compelling parts in there.

I agree, $20 denominations are nearly a requirement. If you charged $55, I'd end up giving you $60 and then spending the $5 on some overpriced drink somewhere, forgetting about tax, and end up having to break ANOTHER $20. I'd then have this huge pile of small-denomination cash in my wallet, and feel obligated to buy more booze, or take the gf to a show, or gamble.

Basically, your not charging an even denomination of $20 would land me in some sort of therapy - either for alcoholism, or sex addiction, or gambling. Do you really want that? Charge an even denomination - you might save a life.

Comment

Originally posted by LosT View Post
            Hi ya-

The Hardware Hacking Village, brought to you by LosT, Russ, A and Kingpin has a question for you-

We can't give you the details of what we are offering (it's a secret until con begins) HOWEVER, how much would you be willing to pay for a Defcon exclusive hardware kit that may or may not assist in other CON events/activities (or *multiple* events/contests/activities)?

We can tell you that these kits will be limited edition (as in we anticipate selling out the first day)-

We will also have supporting accouterments in the village as well...

BUT, how much would you pay?

LosT
            Knowing the people involved, and the superior standards you guys have, my top end price would be your top of $55. I'd actually go much higher if it came to that.
            Thorn
            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

It sounds like an even number, based on $20 bills would be easiest and more acceptable. That helps a lot. Thanks! I'm glad to see people excited about it. This kit will relate to multiple "events" at con.... not just the HHV. Although you will need to build the microcontroller before you can use it on the other stuff. We're planning on several presentations on this process in the HHV, so everyone should have an opportunity to see it.

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
              Knowing the people involved, and the superior standards you guys have, my top end price would be your top of $55. I'd actually go much higher if it came to that.

Comment

my only addition to the conversation should be, let us know the cost before hand so we can include it in the budget, not everyone has a company footing the bill.

that said, i want 2, where do i sign up?
                mage2atbleedingwounddotcom
                KeyID 3B535825D9402365
                FingerPrint C2AA E142 8826 BAE3 9C2B AA0C 3B53 5825 D940 2365

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
                  Agreed. If I know in advance it will make the money situation much easier to deal with as well. If we're volunteering in the HHV do we get first crack at buying at least one kit? I don't want to be greedy and I'd buy another if there were any left over but I'd like at least one. I recall how fast the badge hacking kits sold out last year as well.

SD

Comment

If you are a volunteer in the HHV, and have contacted me already via email, we'll make sure you get a kit.

-Russ

Originally posted by sugardaddy View Post
                    Agreed. If I know in advance it will make the money situation much easier to deal with as well. If we're volunteering in the HHV do we get first crack at buying at least one kit? I don't want to be greedy and I'd buy another if there were any left over but I'd like at least one. I recall how fast the badge hacking kits sold out last year as well.

SD

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                      If you are a volunteer in the HHV, and have contacted me already via email, we'll make sure you get a kit.

-Russ
                      Thanks Russ. I did send you an email a week or two ago at your defcon address but haven't seen a response. Can you confirm if you received it? I sent it from sugardaddy2.0 at gmail.com. If you can't find it amongst the millions of other emails I'm sure you get please let me know and I'll resend. Thanks.

SD

Comment

Of course we are making Russ give all the volunteers back rubs as well ;)

Comment

I'm in dismay about how or whether I want to respond to this.

Originally posted by LosT View Post
                          Of course we are making Russ give all the volunteers back rubs as well ;)

Comment

Hey, do me a favor and resend the email. I remember specifically getting your email, but I don't know what I've done with it. I have sooooooo many emails coming in these days that I'm losing track of some stuff. But shoot me another one, please.

-Russ

Originally posted by sugardaddy View Post
                            Thanks Russ. I did send you an email a week or two ago at your defcon address but haven't seen a response. Can you confirm if you received it? I sent it from sugardaddy2.0 at gmail.com. If you can't find it amongst the millions of other emails I'm sure you get please let me know and I'll resend. Thanks.

SD

Comment

Even though the value obviously depends on what is in the kit, I'd pay top copper for it to have a kit put together by these guys.. It's likely to be my first stop and first purchase when the vendor and contest area opens.
                              That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X