No announcement yet.

anyone interested in doing this again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone interested in doing this again?

if i can get at least 5 people interested in going out for a shoot i will start working details.
    no matter what happens im finally going to show for this years con and hopefully makeup for years past of all talk and no show.
    Soulidium (So-li-de-um) The place within us that contains the mystical spirit and soul of our creative artistry. A place where the fabric of our lives and experiences are transformed into their artistic equivalents; A housing for the very voice of our souls...

Re: anyone interested in doing this again?

--Nevermind, I'm an idiot.--
    Last edited by Sereyna; January 16, 2009, 07:41. Reason: Blatant non-reading of old posts.
    She understands, but she doesn't comprehend...

The day I stop learning is the day they put me in a box.

Comment

oh yeah, the shoot will certainly be happening again. i have been in contact with the range that we used.. how did people like Desert Lake... as a facility? I know we got cut off a bit on the long range when the automated attack vehicle testing started, but if you liked the overall grounds they are happy to give us an even better package this year.

i was going to send out a mass-email to all those who participated (or just emailed me asking for details) last time around to get a feel for who's in this time. i was really sweating bullets over whether or not we'd get enough people but the fact that we basically broke even last year with all shooters making their own choices (i honestly think i was out only like $35... which was awesome) made me really happy.

i'm going to be bringing back the mini-contests again... target destruction (we'll use bigger and better objects than oranges next time around, so that folk with .308/7.62 don't all end in a draw) and marksmanship. (i have a special weapon picked out for that game next time, as well.)

i'll even do my best to make more of those neck coolers again. i can't thank everyone enough for participating the way they did. looking forward to seeing people again next time around!
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

I was happy with the facility overall. What I didnt like was the last minute 'oh, i know you already paid, but we need you to pay us *more* money'. If I hadn't brought people down with me in my car, I would have given them the finger and gone back to the hotel. If we go with them again, make it absolutely clear how much it is per person and verify with them that the numbers are right, because if I do come back and the same scenario repeats itself I will definitely be bailing out.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
          the last minute 'oh, i know you already paid, but we need you to pay us *more* money'
          was that primarily related to people who paid for the three-gun Full Auto rental package (for about $200) and then were still asked to pay like $20 or something to the range itself just for basic range time? or was there another incident besides this?

that was something that was pretty explicitly clarified before, and i might even check my archive of emails with that fellow to see how our wires got crossed. yeah, that burned me up, as well. i do not think that he did it to be a dick (i mean, look at that place... he's clearly making loads of money) but just because that's "how they always do it" and he somehow forgot that he had promised us a better deal.

i do give assurances that next year we can expect more savings and that i will have it double-checked before we are committed.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

I'd be game if it was held on the more traditional Saturday morning, over say Thursday which is asking for trouble from all the Black Hat party hangovers.
            Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Do they have lessons? Or is it only for people who already know how to shoot?

Comment

Originally posted by faye View Post
                Do they have lessons? Or is it only for people who already know how to shoot?
                technically, the shoot has been for people who have experience using firearms. while folks do not have to always bring their own guns, most people do.

the ones who are there without hardware of their own are often renting pieces from the range or are there with friends who allow them to borrow one of their many weapons.

i have thought in the past about an intro to firearms talk or event and how fun it could be. i've given newbie gun trainings in the past many times when taking friends to the range and teaching them to shoot. it is not that complex and is a whole lot of fun. i can keep you informed if something like that ever winds up happening at DEFCON.

i just don't see it as likely a part of the official shoot event at this time.
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

I would down for this.

I can bring my Colt AR-15 H-Bar, Glock 19, Berretta 22, and Desert Eagle 44.

and.. maybe if I muster enough ammo together, I will bring the Barrett Model 99, which for those that dont know is a 50 caliber BMG, single shot bolt action sniper type rifle.. and were not talking .50 caliber AE (American Eagle) rounds... these things are nearly 5.5inches long each, and I generally shoot 690 grain APIT (Armor Piercing Incidenary Tracers), but sometimes if I get a good deal I will bump up to 750 grain....

I dont shoot it alot, because it costs me about $3.00/rnd to shoot....

But it sure is fun, and get all kinds of on-lookers.

I would need to check with the range some DONT allow this gun to be fired at their ranges....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG

Comment

Originally posted by azpyroguy View Post
                    I would down for this.
                    sweet, man. i am likely bringing new items this coming year, too, including this latest piece that i put together with an AR receiver which i had laying around. basically i just went for the longest barrel i could obtain and set it up with a free-float kit, etc...

click for more photos, etc.

Originally posted by azpyroguy View Post
                    were not talking .50 caliber AE (American Eagle) rounds... these things are nearly 5.5inches long each
                    indeed, many of us are quite familiar with 50 BMG. if i'm not mistaken, Barret rifles made an appearance at the DEFCON Shoot of old.
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

I'd be interested too.

What are the transportation options to get out to the range?
                      Don't sweat it -- it's not real life. It's only ones and zeroes. (Spaf)

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                        I'd be interested too.

What are the transportation options to get out to the range?
                        people generally carpool. last year, i had a huge spreadsheet that i put together which noted how many people were in what cars, how many free seats they would have, etc etc. we made it all work rather well, if i recall.

i plan on doing that again, as well. as we get closer to DEFCON (basically, just let me get past ShmooCon, which is the second biggest item on my calendar every year) i'll start organzing things like ride sharing again.
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

I'll be coming to DefCon for the first time, but I'd definitely be interested in this. I've got a Mosin Nagant to add to the pile of fun too.

Comment

This will be my first DefCon, but I would be very interested in this. I don't have any weapons to bring with me, but if they have rentals or someone will let me borrow I'm definitely down.
                            -OH!! That's where the waffles go......

Comment

Is there a convenient place to stop for an ammo run on the way or does the range have ammo at a reasonable price?
                              Don't sweat it -- it's not real life. It's only ones and zeroes. (Spaf)

Comment

Working...
                              X