Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you make your own food to eat in your hotel room at DEFCON?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you make your own food to eat in your hotel room at DEFCON?

Originally posted by Ne0nRa1n View Post
    I must be an odd duck because I hate, hate, HATE going out to eat with people at DEFCON. First off it always seems to take hours to even get organized because you have to wait for everyone and those people always have people that they have to wait for. Then you have this huge group of people and you go to the restaurant and have to wait some more to get a table that can actually fit all the people you have.

By the time you are seated you are gnawing at your own arm with hunger, and conversation is hard because you are pretty much limited to the three immediate people around you, if you are lucky enough to hear them over the rest of the noise that is going on.

Then the bill comes, and you if are the last person at the table you often find yourself getting stuck with a bunch of bills of people who have left without paying. I have seen it happen year after year. Of course, the restaurant wants their money and someone has to pony up the cash.

Nope, I rather just grab something to eat to keep me alive and go check out what people are doing and have a one-on-one conversation than be trapped at a table with a bunch of people, trying to make small talk while attempting not to get food all over my face.

That is just me though, I am generally always the odd one out when it comes to popular opinion. ;)
    God I love you. Want to go get sushi at DefCon this year? Or we could have a protein drink. My stick blender is the best.

:-)

Regards,

valkyrie

Comment

Originally posted by valkyrie View Post
      God I love you. Want to go get sushi at DefCon this year? Or we could have a protein drink. My stick blender is the best.
      Sign me up for that protein drink. I have an unnatural love for my stick blender as well. *smirks*

Comment

Well Wed night is sushi night, Thurs is BBQ night, Fri / Sat I usually hit the food court at least once, sometimes I go over to the Peppermill, if I have spare time I hit the Thai place up across from Stratosphere, they are open really late, and then theres always the 3/4lb chili dog across the street at Slots of Fun for $0.99. McDonalds also across the street in Circus. I usually find something nearby.. 7-11 also a few doors down. If you need cheap sodas, energy drinks, snacks.

Comment

I didn't cook or bring my own food at all, and was too busy doing things to cab to a groc store so I just ate out and minimally. I was full of booze most nights so that was fine (actually getting through Hooch Wars last year fed me that night, and the bug spray fed me the night after). During the day I just found food where I could, a granola bar here, street meat there... I think I only had maybe 2 actual meals for the 3 days of Con. I also drink coffee extensively which is an appetite suppressant.

Comment

When I check a bag, I sometimes bring an electric hot pot and one of those single-cup Milita coffee makers so I can make real coffee in my room.
            --bc,

Comment

Personally, my trip to DEFCon is my big 'vacation' all year, so I spend the whole week in Vegas visiting friends and playing tourist on the strip. So I make a point to eat out as the food is great and I don't have to worry about it. Since this is my one big outing for the year, I normally save up all year to ensure I can afford to eat out the entire time; so that helps a bit. It also helps that my anti-social skills kick into full swing, so its really just my girlfriend, myself, and maybe an occasional friend in the area that are dining.

Comment

Is there a gas station or something nearby?

I'm assuming NV isn't a bunch of pussies like PA and I can actually buy beer at a 7-11.

Comment

Hotel Grilled Cheese

1 loaf of bread
                  1 package of favorite cheese (on ice)
                  role of alum foil
                  hotel iron

preheat iron to 5-8
                  wrap said bread/cheese/bread combinaiton in alum foil.
                  place iron on top of alum foil for 3-5 mins
                  remove iron / flip alum foil / place iron on top of alum foil for an additional 3-5 mins
                  remove iron / enjoy a "home cooked meal" along with a comp drink at the penny slots

as an added bonus this meal is also portable and great for a mid brief snack

Comment

Originally posted by uunruh View Post
                    Hotel Grilled Cheese

as an added bonus this meal is also portable and great for a mid brief snack
                    Portable? Well, I guess I could bring the iron and makings with me to the talks. Someone save me a spot by a wall socket.

I do a lot of traveling for work, and try and save as much per diem as possible, so I do alot of hot pockets and cereal on the road.

I'm definitely planning on breakfast in the hotel, and maybe dinner too. My room comes with a mini fridge apparently, but nothing about a microwave. I'm thinking it's going to be sandwiches all week for me for dinner.

M.
                    Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by Melesse View Post
                      Portable? Well, I guess I could bring the iron and makings with me to the talks. Someone save me a spot by a wall socket.
                      Perhaps the meal doesn't include the tools used to make it.

My room comes with a mini fridge apparently
                      Be careful with that. 2-3 years ago, if you signed up for a Defon plan and "Deluxe Room," you may have found that not all Deluxe rooms had fridges, only the newly (at the time) remodeled Deluxe rooms had these even though the advertised fridges in Deluxe rooms on their web page for room description.

I mentioned this before, and it is worth mentioning again, the description, online of their Deluxe rooms claimed a fridge, but there was no *note to say, "not all Deluxe rooms include a fridge." In some ways, this was false advertising. If a claim was made that Deluxe rooms have fridges, then when you get a room without a fridge, it must not be deluxe. Simple logic, no? The front desk people didn't see it that way 3 years ago, and 2 years ago, the front desk person didn't even know that was the case. Only with experience from the previous year did I ask them to ask their manage to make sure out Deluxe actually had the fridge in it.

Now the rooms appear to have different labels, and none of the descriptions have any mention of refrigerators:
                      http://www.rivierahotel.com/rooms_su...oms_suites.asp

When you try to book online, there is no name of room associated with the reservation, but the picture that is displayed online with 2 bed selection is the same picture as Premier Room only suggesting that is the room of default assignment.

It looks like they have learned about their rooms, and learned not to include advertising a resource for a room type that is not in all rooms of the type advertised. :-)

You should probably still double check during check-in that the room has what you want, so you can try to make arrangements at check-in for an alternative.

Side note: with all the bacon being cooked with irons, and cheese sandwiches melted with irons, I wonder if guests that follow Defcon end up having ironed clothes that smell like cheese and bacon?
                      Last edited by TheCotMan; June 4, 2009, 11:05.

Comment

Oh no sir, I smell a money making opportunity here. I'm gonna get me half a dozen irons and set up shop in Track 1 w/ a mess of cheese and foil. People won't be able to resist. God knows I get the munchies constantly during cons.

And I think I'm staying at the Circus Circus, but it would be worthwhile to check and make sure they do all have mini fridges.

M.
                        Secretary

Comment

Originally posted by Melesse View Post
                          Oh no sir, I smell a money making opportunity here. I'm gonna get me half a dozen irons and set up shop in Track 1 w/ a mess of cheese and foil. People won't be able to resist. God knows I get the munchies constantly during cons.

And I think I'm staying at the Circus Circus, but it would be worthwhile to check and make sure they do all have mini fridges.

M.
                          There must be all sorts of food hacks that can be created using:
                          1.) the mini-bar (fridge),
                          2.) iron,
                          3.) hair drier, and
                          4.) in-room coffee maker.

Has anyone really made bacon with an iron?
                          --BC,

Comment

I don;t care about buying the food - I don;t eat a lot at cons and I like to try new things.

What I want is a fridge for the beer. At 15, I probably bought one drink at a bar the whole trip. I would wake up at 9:45, drag my dead ass outta bed, put two beers in the messenger bag and one in my hand and head out. That's the way to live.

S

Comment

Food is one of the only things that has me concerned regarding going to defcon. Celiac(no gluten) + not trusting restaurants with food == a bit of a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by big chopper View Post
                                Has anyone really made bacon with an iron?
                                Your guess is as good as mine. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X