Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We have our new location (was: Ugh... So, we're gonna need a new location YET AGAIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have our new location (was: Ugh... So, we're gonna need a new location YET AGAIN)

Rentals were a big want for me as well, mainly because I'm that paranoid bastard who, if stowing weaponry in a hotel room not only locks them inside locked cases, but removes firing pins and locks those in separate areas, if not keep them on me at all times. Bit of a hassle. But with the lack of rentals, I'll be packing relatively light.
    "You have cubed asscheeks?"... "Do you not?"

Re: We have our new location (was: Ugh... So, we're gonna need a new location YET AGA

A completely different suggestion for location:

The is a place up in the mountains just outside of town. NevadaShooters.com just recently had a meetup/shootup/cleanup event up there. The local Black Powder club (Spring Mountain Free Trappers - Description of shoot site) goes there regularly (twice a month, I think). The elevation is ~4000ft, so temps are 10-15 degress cooler than down below.

Some of you old timers may recall a space we used years ago up near mount charleston. We were always concerned about the legality of that location because of it's proximity to variously labeled land masses. As I understand it, this new location is definitely free and clear, the weather will be better than anywhere else nearby, and no costs or people to deal with. It does mean bringing targets. I might be convinced to bring out the saw horses and bowling pins again if this were to work out. I might also be convinced to get up there the night before with my 5th Wheel and set up camp, targets, etc. Bring some water, shade, maybe a few tables, that sort of thing.

If y'all are interested, I could get up there next week and take some video with my phone, just to put a face on the place. (if there is real interest, maybe sooner, but I know I have a hectic week this week before the holiday)

As far as an RSO, well, I have taken the NRA class and got the cert, but I have never actually served in this capacity, so I would only volunteer if I was assisting someone with more (i.e. >0) experience.

--------

I am also a life member at Desert Sportsman Rifle and Pistol Club. It is a really nice range (see the overhead on Google Maps), and I don't imagine we would have any trouble getting the whole range (or most of it) for the morning. What I can say is that Class III/NFA, SBS, and 50BMG should all be ok, as they have appropriate ranges for each. The main range has some prebuilt targets that are great for pistol and rifle. There are like 20 smaller pits as well as some LONG ranges (800yds, I think).

My caution is that like most private clubs, they are pretty strict about safety issues, and can be crotchety old bastards at times (although for good reason, obviously).

I suspect that Tannerite would be off the table, as they are already getting hassled by the nearby residents (that just moved into the area, knowing that a well established firing range had been there for ~50 years).

Let me know...

PS.. Just got word that my Super Shorty is ready for pickup at the FFL tomorrow, so I will be bringing that out. I only ordered it in August! (yes, right after I shot Noids', I went home and ordered one). Noid, the wife said you are not allowed to bring anything else cool.

Comment

Re: We have our new location (was: Ugh... So, we're gonna need a new location YET AGA

Originally posted by Merlin View Post
      PS.. Just got word that my Super Shorty is ready for pickup at the FFL tomorrow, so I will be bringing that out. I only ordered it in August! (yes, right after I shot Noids', I went home and ordered one). Noid, the wife said you are not allowed to bring anything else cool.

Oh man..your wife is gonna hate me then..

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
        Oh man..your wife is gonna hate me then..
        Sounds ominously promising...
        GnuPG-Fingerprint:
        F164 738F 16BF FDBF F0B6 5720 C986 8AF7 5F41 97BE

V5 vi veri Vniversum vivus vici

Comment

There is a place up in the mountains just outside of town.
          wow! that place has the look of literally just a spot where you pull off the road and pop off rounds. anyone else having the following picture in their mind?

The elevation is ~4000ft, so temps are 10-15 degress cooler than down below. ... the weather will be better than anywhere else nearby
          i sure as shit like the sound of that. plus, what i'm seeing on maps equates to only about an hour drive. the other place would have been 40 to 50 minutes, so close in terms of time line.

and no costs or people to deal with.
          really? is it a known shooting spot? or is it legal to just setup targets and shoot in unincorporated parts of the desert?

It does mean bringing targets. I might be convinced to bring out the saw horses and bowling pins again if this were to work out. I might also be convinced to get up there the night before with my 5th Wheel and set up camp, targets, etc. Bring some water, shade, maybe a few tables, that sort of thing
          bringing targets is likely to be a thing wherever we go... given that we like to shoot oddball stuff.

If y'all are interested, I could get up there next week and take some video with my phone, just to put a face on the place.
          that would be amazing of you, man... thanks!

As far as an RSO, well, I have taken the NRA class and got the cert, but I have never actually served in this capacity, so I would only volunteer if I was assisting someone with more (i.e. >0) experience.
          nod. i think noid has expressed interest, and i have experience with RSO duty, as did some other people who were around last time. there will be folk with time in the service, etc... between all of us, i'm confident our group will be safe.

also sounds like an interesting and nice spot... and this is immediately on the edge of the city.

Class III/NFA, SBS, and 50BMG should all be ok, as they have appropriate ranges for each.
          does that mean that shooters will be separated from each other when shooting?

on this same topic... does the "spot outside of town" discussed above allow us to shoot whatever we want? can class-III and NFA firearms be fired outdoors in unregulated space like that? (or am i misunderstanding... what is the exact legal status of the ground being discussed above, which i like the sound of a lot)

like most private clubs, they are pretty strict about safety issues
          nod... but so are we, heh.

I suspect that Tannerite would be off the table
          yeah, that really is a shame. those of us who weren't around in the past really missed out on that one. of course, i'd bring some to the shoot this year if we're allowed to fire at it on the "spot by the road"

let's surely discuss this more. if we're going to make another change of venue, i want it to be semi-official by the week's end, i don't want to keep shifting things around and confuse possible participants as DEFCON gets closer.

merlin, thank you so so so much for this additional research. (btw, link to a thread about the meetup/shootup/cleanup event wasn't viewable for non-members of that forum)
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Seriously, get over the tannerite. I've been having this same discussion with my work's gun club. Tannerite is cool, but it does nothing but attract negative attention. The year the shoot got shut down was because of some yahoos shooting tannerite. Our local gravel pit was in danger of getting declared a 'no shooting zone' because of people setting off tannerite. The stuff is fun but it only ever seems to cause trouble.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

ASK MR. SUN:
              Is it legal to shoot a firearm anywhere in the deserts around Las Vegas?

The Las Vegas Sun
              Tue, Jun 30, 2009 (2 a.m.)

The headline on the gun shop poster might say so, but the fine print is more complicated.

So before you dash out and fill the hills with lead, there are a few things to be aware of.

First, shooting is prohibited in the Las Vegas Valley. (After you finish laughing, please read on.) Beyond the valley’s borders, federal caregivers have some general restrictions:

• No shooting within 1,000 feet of homes and roads, or over any roadway;

• Glass targets are prohibited;

• Always use a safe backdrop and carry out litter, including shell casings.

Each federal agency has more specific restrictions.

In areas controlled by the Bureau of Land Management, shooting is allowed except at Apex, the Nellis Dunes, Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, Sloan Canyon National Conservation Area and Sunrise Mountain.

On land controlled by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service — most notably the 1.6 million-acre Desert National Wildlife Refuge north of Las Vegas — shooting is prohibited unless you’re hunting with the appropriate paperwork.

The Forest Service allows shooting on the 316,000 acres it controls in the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area, provided gunslingers abide by local and state laws. (A favorite spot is near the Lovell Group Campsite on Lovell Canyon Road, off State Route 160, officials said.)

Judy Suing, a spokeswoman for the Forest Service, said the agency does ask people using firearms to avoid heavily vegetated areas because of the potential for fires.
              Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                really? is it a known shooting spot? or is it legal to just setup targets and shoot in unincorporated parts of the desert?
                I was gonna post the article from the Sun, but someone beat me to it. It pretty much says it all.

that would be amazing of you, man... thanks!
                Ok, I'll get up there asap.

does that mean that shooters will be separated from each other when shooting?
                I'll know more once I go up there. I haven't personally used this spot, I just know of it because several gun clubs regularly use it as their summer spot. I haven't managed to go with them any of these times due to schedule conflicts, etc.

Once I check it out, I will get some approx measurements of distance and such, how wide the line will be, that sort of thing.

on this same topic... does the "spot outside of town" discussed above allow us to shoot whatever we want? can class-III and NFA firearms be fired outdoors in unregulated space like that? (or am i misunderstanding... what is the exact legal status of the ground being discussed above, which i like the sound of a lot)
                I don't see any reason any of those things wouldn't be OK. The article from the Sun corroborates that. (did someone here actually write the Sun, or is it just incredible convenient coincidence?)

Comment

The Forest Service allows shooting on the 316,000 acres it controls in the Spring Mountains National Recreation Area, provided gunslingers abide by local and state laws. (A favorite spot is near the Lovell Group Campsite on Lovell Canyon Road, off State Route 160, officials said.)
                  Oh, and in case you didn't pick it up, this is the place I was referring to.

Comment

currently, my favorite-sounding site is the Lovell Group Campsite. i like it for the following reasons...
                    1. cool climate - being up in the mountains it's likely to be a lot better than dripping buckets of sweat out in the desert like we were last year, or like we would be at the Boulder City facility.

2. cool regulations - i'm not saying we can have a free-for-all, but the fact that there are no admission fees or staff costs surely helps to keep the dollar concern down for all parties. that's of prominent interest this year in this economy, where our wallets can be dedicated strictly to ammo, gas, and targets.

3. cool atmosphere - seriously, i can't get over how much the sound of this reminds me of Fear and Loathing...
                    ... but of course we won't be shooting in all directions.

4. ability to lock-in our presence - the Boulder City range stated we would likely be guaranteed space, but that it's still first come, first serve whenever people arrive at 08:00. if Merlin is indeed considering camping out there the night before, we'd have a real guarantee of our own space, i'd think.

what do others think? even if we haven't hammered out all details to our liking, i'd like to lock this in one way or another by the end of the week. it's only fair to give attendees plenty of lead time so they know what's happening and also if we're canceling on Boulder City i want to do it well in advance of DEFCON, so they don't suddenly have a large group not show (if they were asking RSOs or other staff to re-arrange their personal and work schedules, let's say)

Merlin, you're the man with the ball in his court now... let's get some real solid intel (either from direct views or just by continuing to fill us in on the whole description of the grounds) this week.
                    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 1, 2009, 10:51.
                    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Lovell Canyon location

Merlin,

Care to comment on some map markup that i have done here? I'm just working from what i can assume based on Google Maps sat view, but is the large area i've shown in blue the canyon / river wash zone? what looked like a white blob may have been a truck, so i'm assuming that it (plus the distance scale offered by Google) gives me a rough idea of sorts.

what do you (or anyone else) think of the following...

... is this feasible at all? is it possible to have two firing lines for pistol vs. rifle and do them safely? (safely with independent hot/cold status, i mean)

not seeing the lay of the land, i can't assume anything. for simplicity's sake, it may be best to just have one single range and keep the hot/cold designations universal across all shooters simultaneously. let me know what you think.

here is an unmarked copy of the map image used above, if you want to show your own annotated suggestion layout.
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Re: Lovell Canyon location

Ok, Ok, I will do my damnedest to get up there tonight and take pics/video. I can see that is all that is left to help us settle on a place.

Like I said, I haven't been there personally, so I can't speak to size or layout. I just know that it is popular, and I am comfortable with the legality.

As a side note, there has been discussion recently opencarry.org about getting an Open Carry protest walk going on the strip soon. In the past, individuals have done it, and been harassed by police, even though NV is in fact Open Carry (ok, "Free Carry"). We were thinking that getting a bunch of guys with bright orange T-Shirts that say "2nd/4th/5th/6th ammendment activist" would alleviate the police problems, as word would get out quickly to just leave us alone (one of the board posters already has a civil rights abuse case in the works against metro). There was also talk about printing up little brochures about the Open Carry movement to inform the inquiring tourists. In case anyone is interested...

Comment

As a side note, there has been discussion recently opencarry.org about getting an Open Carry protest walk going on the strip soon. In the past, individuals have done it, and been harassed by police, even though NV is in fact Open Carry (ok, "Free Carry"). We were thinking that getting a bunch of guys with bright orange T-Shirts that say "2nd/4th/5th/6th ammendment activist" would alleviate the police problems, as word would get out quickly to just leave us alone (one of the board posters already has a civil rights abuse case in the works against metro). There was also talk about printing up little brochures about the Open Carry movement to inform the inquiring tourists. In case anyone is interested...
                          Please, no political activism on the forums, as activism is too political.

Somewhere around here, I have a post that describes what is too political, and provide examples.

I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is:

Originally posted by samples
                          Things to avoid: (Samples that contribute to subjective judgements of "too political")
                          Activism: too political (should/shouldn't)
                          Value Judgements: Targetting laws, leaders. parties, or governments with value judgements.
                          Solicitation: Support building with respect to laws, leaders, parties
                          Calls to arms: like solicitation, but combined with activism makes this worse

RedFlag KeyWords that demand closer inspection of content:
                          right, wrong, should, shouldn't, political parties, names of specific leaders, government (the word or specific proper names) , references to specific leaders by title, requests for [votes|help|support|action], increase to fallacy count, replay of politically charged phrases ["Remember 9/11" | "Remember the Alamo" | "Never again" | "Weapons of Mass Destruction." | "War on [Drugs|Terror|Poverty|Illiteracy]"] , incitful labels ["war monger", "tree hugger" , "baby killer" , "bleeding heart"
                          Trying to organize people to strike, picket, or meet to announce their unhappiness with laws are "calls to arms" and requests for action, meeting the description for political activism.

Comment

Ok, so I went out and checked the site, and yes, I think it will work handily. I did take video, and Youtube is comtemplating my request right now. I will update here as soon as it is complete.

Comment

Ok, so I went out and checked the site, and yes, I think it will work handily. I did take video, and Youtube is comtemplating my request right now. I will update here as soon as it is complete.
                              great, man! how accurate were my assumptions as shown on the map?

i assume much of that will become clear when we see the video. thanks again so much for scouting out this territory! (and suggesting it in the first place!)
                              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                              X