Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Selling Ninja Badge - LAME

From the instructions:
    * Do not clean with benzene, noob blood, vodka, or other such solvents.
    * Do not taunt the Ninja Badge.
    * Do not sell your Ninja Badge on eBay, because that would be super lame.
    * Do not sell your Ninja Party Plus-One, because that's even more lame.

Comment

Another one has shown up.
      http://tinyurl.com/2evgcs3
      "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Originally posted by MisterVandal View Post
        Whoa, seeing some of the DC Stuff people try to sell on ebay makes me scratch my head, do people really buy stuff like room keys and schedules?
        Just out of curiosity, why did you say "DC Stuff" people? Just a phrase, or do you have one or more specific people in mind? It would certainly narrow it down some, if so.

I should add that I seriously considered buying the badge from eBay (to find out who the seller was, since obviously it's someone who shouldn't get another one next year). Only trouble is, I'm lazy, and it would take two or three hours to spin all that eBay/PayPal crap up...

Comment

Originally posted by shrdlu View Post
          Just out of curiosity, why did you say "DC Stuff" people? Just a phrase, or do you have one or more specific people in mind? It would certainly narrow it down some, if so.

I should add that I seriously considered buying the badge from eBay (to find out who the seller was, since obviously it's someone who shouldn't get another one next year). Only trouble is, I'm lazy, and it would take two or three hours to spin all that eBay/PayPal crap up...

I think he just means DefCon stuff, as in things from DefCon that random people have thrown up for sale. No reference to #DC-Stuff in particular. He types too fast and capitalizes badly with poor punctuation thrown in for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by eris View Post
            Another one has shown up.
            http://tinyurl.com/2evgcs3
            Two grand? Really? Glad to see nobody bought it just to get into Ninja Party though...

I will also be bringing mine to DCXIX for more battling, so I will see you all there! I think enough of us will be around to get at least a few battles in. I'm also working on a sort of Ninja Badge Single Player Campaign, because I don't have any local friends with badges to play with in the meantime.

Safe to say, I have far too many plans for mine (and far too much respect for the Ninjas) to ever sell mine.

Comment

Anyone find the identities of these lame induhviduals? Please post for all to see, mock, and remind to RTFM that came with the freaking badge where it says selling on eBay is super lame.
              "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." -Optimus Prime

Comment

Originally posted by falconred View Post
                Special jerk-face points because the badge on Ebay is "New in Box, never removed"... if you're not going to use it, don't ask for one.
                Ugh! That is horrible! It makes you wonder if they didn't take it out of the box on purpose because they had already planned to sell it on Ebay from the moment they got it. I really have no idea how the were able to resist. The badge this year so fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by saxdr View Post
                  Anyone find the identities of these lame induhviduals? Please post for all to see, mock, and remind to RTFM that came with the freaking badge where it says selling on eBay is super lame.
                  Well the account used to be very active but since '04 has only been used to sell one thing, so my guess is the person knows how lame they are being and is using an old account to cover up his heinous crimes. Do know the account belongs to a dude though, as someone in the feedback called him a 'cool guy'. So you know, that eliminates like 5% of DEFCON attendees :)

Googles for 'jjyw' mostly come up with bad OCRs (usually Arabic), though there is a TripAdvisor user from Mountain View who posted a few hotel reviews back in '07. Beyond that cursory search, I don't know. I'd guess we're looking for someone from Canton, MA who now works in Silicon Valley.
                  Last edited by Aux; August 6, 2010, 07:29.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterVandal View Post
                    Whoa, seeing some of the DC Stuff people try to sell on ebay makes me scratch my head, do people really buy stuff like room keys and schedules?
                    I'm considering buying both - though ultimately I'm after a shirt and badge. I live in South Africa and haven't had the spare funds to make it to DefCon yet - I'm planning for next year, or holding out for DefCon 20.

I've got various 'con memorabilia from over the years, even some Hope 2k stickers and stuff, without even leaving this country ;) Sure it doesn't count for much, just gives a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Comment

Originally posted by hypn View Post
                      I'm considering buying both - though ultimately I'm after a shirt and badge. I live in South Africa and haven't had the spare funds to make it to DefCon yet - I'm planning for next year, or holding out for DefCon 20.

I've got various 'con memorabilia from over the years, even some Hope 2k stickers and stuff, without even leaving this country ;) Sure it doesn't count for much, just gives a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
                      The only issue with buying the Ninja badge is it rewards the person that got it originally, but didn't honor the spirit of it.

I know a bunch of people are like fuck it- it's money. I would disagree (coming from someone who has never been given a badge), the badges are not supposed to be a source of income every year- but of pride. You have something that is unique and a lot of hard work has gone into its development.

Why should you take something that was given to you freely (and explicitly told not to sell on eBay) and make money from it?

Comment

My ninja badge has been placed on a shinto alter. When I meditate in search of f00 greatness it is my center focus. Ninjas... true ninjas honor there gear and the hardwares creator. You would not sell a Hattori Hanzo sword on Ebay and neither should you sell a ninja badge.

My brother ninjas are out seeking this fool out. This person has betrayed the order of the shadow and will be punished for there crime.
                        XS

Comment

I've posted about the EFF-supporting auction here: https://forum.defcon.org/showthread....644#post116644
                          | | |

Comment

Unfortunately, in the end there isn't a lot any of us can do about it. It is a lack of respect for the Ninja Networks, sure, but the badges do belong to whom they are given or to whom was able to SE one in some way. This year made it more difficult to control that as the badges were offered up as prizes to quite a few contests for the first time. Let it go, folks. The community has been alerted, the community will work it out in some fashion I am sure.

Comment

I'll trade mine for straight sex

xor

and here I Grateful Dead'ed my +1 to some guy I didn't know.

Yes, it's lame to sell your Ninja Networks Badge, before or after the fact.
                              Last edited by xor; August 7, 2010, 12:04.
                              Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Originally posted by xor View Post
                                I'll trade mine for straight sex
                                Wait a minute, let's narrow this down. What wouldn't you trade?
                                Thorn
                                "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Working...
                                X