Mohawk-Con

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mohawk-Con

There's a sub-form for this back in DC18 but nothing here yet. Don't know if the organizers check in here very often, but hopefully Pyr0 will notice this and pass word to Ed. Might be something she, Funball, and the others want to do...

So last year i participated and had fun. It was a cool way to beat the heat and just generally bond with some of the other goons and long-time DC folk, having most of my hair chopped. However, i caught some significant flak for it from my family, being that i was attending a cousin's wedding just after arriving home.

So this year, while i might be participating again, it may take some convincing. So i was thinking... what if we had some sort of a "pledge" system in order to encourage new folks to the barber chair? For example, i might say that i'll go mohawk again if people donate $250. That's a dozen folk, basically, putting up a $20 bill. Hardly much there. But then again, i'm not the one we need to see on the big board. Could you imagine what sort of funds this event could raise if there were names like Thorn or AST or GMark on some sort of a similar wall? With values like $5,000 or more?

Still totally do-able... the only difficulty, really, would be how to handle a situation where people donated, say, $3,500 and thus fell short of the above hypothetical goal. if all donors get some sort of ticket or receipt signed or stamped by the girls there would be two possible solutions:

1. people would be entitled to come back on Sunday to try to get a refund (if they really felt cheated)

2. donations on the big board "roll over" to subsequent years... imagine a figure of like $50K for someone like Dark Tangent... perhaps at DEFCON 22 or something we'd have that raised.

Please speak up if people think this isn't in the spirit of the Mohawk-Con... but i just think it could seriously up the dollar value of money raised, and allow non-haircut-folk to feel like they're participating, too. And imagine the frenzy and fervor as the dollar amount is getting close to someone, with SMS messages hitting their phone saying "hope you're free in about a half hour" etc etc.

(I am indeed picturing a big board with people photos and sliding bar graphs that get updated as the donations are made)
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: Mohawk-Con

Honestly? That sounds AWESOME. Especially when you consider someone like me who will get hell raised towards them if they cut their hair, but still want a vicarious method of participating. XDD

Comment

Try sending a PM to Spux to see if they are going to bring it back and if they have contacted Pyr0 or Nikita.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
        Try sending a PM to Spux to see if they are going to bring it back and if they have contacted Pyr0 or Nikita.
        They are bringing it back...and since Ed's married to Pyr0 I feel confident stating that he knows.
        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          They are bringing it back...and since Ed's married to Pyr0 I feel confident stating that he knows.
          Yep,
          Ed Word & Spux are on it, in fact they have a few new twists to spice up this year's event.

Both have been poked w/ a sharp stick and told to fill out the RFI . . . . but here I sit waiting.
          :)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            How do we know? Maybe Pyr0 is as much of a bean counter as me, and demands everyone fill out the form. Maybe he will withhold sex until the form is filled out completely without skipping any sections. Then again, maybe this is an example of "TMI" (Too Much Information) in the form of a comment which will get me banned from the contest area. :-)

I meant to make a forum for this when you replied, but I forgot about it until...

Originally posted by Pyr0 View Post
            Yep,
            Ed Word & Spux are on it, in fact they have a few new twists to spice up this year's event.

Both have been poked w/ a sharp stick and told to fill out the RFI . . . . but here I sit waiting.
            :)
            Wow man. You really do demand people fill out the form. I was just kidding when I typed that comment. Oh well. it is too late for me to delete what I have posted. I wish I could go back and edit my posts. I already put this post in an envelope, added a stamp and put it in mailbox so it could get to the forums. :-D

On a more serious note:

Forum created based on the forum from last year. Announcement posted in the forums. Will send tweet when then is confirmation on the description and/or an official post from the organizers about it.

I've moved this thread to this new forum as it is on-topic.

Thanks, and good luck!
            Last edited by TheCotMan; May 3, 2011, 00:07.

Comment

I shudder to think of what price Grey Frequency would put on me getting a mohawk. I'm game, but she's the one with the final say and I can guarantee the price would be high.
              Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
                I shudder to think of what price Grey Frequency would put on me getting a mohawk. I'm game, but she's the one with the final say and I can guarantee the price would be high.
                maybe we'll start the bidding on renderman at $1,000 (USD or CAN?)
                "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

I love the pledge idea! We've got some plans in the works, and I'll do my best to get this worked in.

Comment

I think DT should be up for a mohawk personally. Also we should try and get evil and noid to be in this.

If this gets back to them I'm gonna get my ass beat I know.
                    Saving the world one computer at a time...

or possibly destroying, I haven't figured that out yet.

Comment

The mohawk-con site is up! http://m.ohawk.me/

Here's the details:
                      We could say we’re making a statement about how punk values reflect the fight for digital freedoms but we’d be full of it. Mohawk-Con was born from a special combination of nerds, booze, hair clippers, and Vegas hotel bathrooms. It’s been a few years, and the demand for hawks has grown. Last year was our first “official” year at DEFCON and we raised over $3,200 for the EFF. This year we want to spread the love.

Drop by the Mohawk-Con booth at DEFCON 19 and donate to a non-profit of your choice. EFF? Hackers for Charity? Maybe you’d like to help out your local hackerspace?

This year we are announcing a hackerspace challenge. If you run/belong to a non-profit
                      hackerspace, construct a donation receptacle, and we’ll sport it at our booth.
                      Each mohawk recipient will decide where their donation goes. Think you can catch their
                      eye? Check out the guidelines here: http://m.ohawk.me/hackerspace-challenge

Comment

Originally posted by spux View Post
                        The mohawk-con site is up! http://m.ohawk.me/
                        Bug report:

DNS does not appear to be setup for this quite yet.

Code:
                        $ dig @8.8.8.8 m.ohawk.me

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @8.8.8.8 m.ohawk.me
                        ; (1 server found)
                        ;; global options:  printcmd
                        ;; Got answer:
                        ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 405
                        ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
                        ;m.ohawk.me.			IN	A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
                        ohawk.me.		1800	IN	SOA	ns71.domaincontrol.com. dns.jomax.net. 2011050501 28800 7200 604800 86400

;; Query time: 434 msec
                        ;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
                        ;; WHEN: Thu May  5 14:02:34 2011
                        ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 99
                        However, this worked:
                        Code:
                        $ dig +short @8.8.8.8 ohawk.me
                        And after altering my "hosts" file to map 184.168.167.1 to m.ohawk.me, I can see the web page for this event.

Some DNS work may be required, or maybe a previously applied change has not propagated to the DNS that service this domain name.

Once it resolved and works, I'll alter the forum description to include a "site" link to your web page.

I have added a link to the forum description for this forum that leads people to the twitter feed associated with this event:
                        https://twitter.com/mohawkcon

This year we are announcing a hackerspace challenge. If you run/belong to a non-profit
                        hackerspace, construct a donation receptacle, and we’ll sport it at our booth.
                        Each mohawk recipient will decide where their donation goes. Think you can catch their
                        eye? Check out the guidelines here: http://m.ohawk.me/hackerspace-challenge
                        I read the page for the hackerspace challenger and this is a GREAT idea! It makes it harder for people to complain with any amount of sway about donations all going to the EFF when there are other worthy charities. This is a really clever solution to this complaint by people with many Defcon fund-raisers.

Thanks!
                        Last edited by TheCotMan; May 5, 2011, 14:21.

Comment

Yep, sorry about that. Waiting on dns. *sigh*
                          Guess I shouldn't be so trigger happy.

Comment

Has any determination been made about us working stiffs that cant/wont get shaved down to the deck due to work places or the fact I'd look like a q-tip?

I know there was some issue last year with fauxhawks. I'd be more willing to put my head up for bounty if there was a couple inches left on the sides that I could even out when I got home. I'm sure there are others.
                            Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Renderman how about a Mohawk but on Sunday you change it to a buzzcut and wear a USMC t-shirt home. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X