Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defcon Forum Meet needs leadership, or the forum meet won't happen...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheCotMan
    replied
    Re: Defcon Forum Meet needs leadership, or the forum meet won't happen...

Originally posted by Bbox View Post
    I know Nikita is really busy, (especially with a new baby), so I figure it might be a while until she gets a chance to figure out what will be done about the Forum Meet leadership.

I am hoping (and believe) that regardless of who ends up facilitating the Forum Meet (Maybe Lil_Freak comes back and continues her winning ways or maybe someone else) that we will have some form of Forum Meet. So maybe in the meantime we can get a topic for the Forum Meet under the DC19 Official and unofficial social gatherings section of the forum. That will make it clear to anyone perusing the Events and gatherings section that we plan to have a get together. (officially or unofficially)

Thanks
    No forum for this event until there is a clear organizer and it has been registered. Right now, the only people that have expressed interest in running it are you (BBox) and HighWiz, but HighWiz expressed interest conditionally on the forum meet being short, and nobody else stepping forward. I think it would be good to leave this open for one more week. After 1 week, if nobody else has stepped forward with an interest to organize or help organizer, then the mods will talk it over, and if none of the mods complain, and Nikita likes the idea, then the person selected will need to submit information to Pyr0 or Nikita necessary to get the event registered, and once verified, then a forum can be made.

Once it has a leader, then they will work to make the decisions on which day to run it, how long to run it and what to do when running it. I will likely provide input if not previously provided (like on historical issues on days to run it, what conflicts are present, etc.) but I plan to stay out of the forum meet leader's decisions -- not under my control, and not my responsibility. Control should always be linked with responsibility and never be decoupled.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Bbox
    replied

I know Nikita is really busy, (especially with a new baby), so I figure it might be a while until she gets a chance to figure out what will be done about the Forum Meet leadership.

I am hoping (and believe) that regardless of who ends up facilitating the Forum Meet (Maybe Lil_Freak comes back and continues her winning ways or maybe someone else) that we will have some form of Forum Meet. So maybe in the meantime we can get a topic for the Forum Meet under the DC19 Official and unofficial social gatherings section of the forum. That will make it clear to anyone perusing the Events and gatherings section that we plan to have a get together. (officially or unofficially)

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• HighWiz
    replied

Originally posted by Nikita View Post
    If anyone has questions for me please DON'T PM me in the forums. Please email me directly at Nikita at Defcon dot Org. Thanks much, I'll try to catch up on this later but I;m so glad to see people talking about this.
    You know, the really makes me want start saying stuff to you in PM on the forum instead of twitter.

Leave a comment:

• Nikita
    replied

If anyone has questions for me please DON'T PM me in the forums. Please email me directly at Nikita at Defcon dot Org. Thanks much, I'll try to catch up on this later but I;m so glad to see people talking about this.

Leave a comment:

• HighWiz
    replied

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
    Do you have ideas on how to run a forum meet? Have you thought the forum meet could be even better if only [...]? Are you a semi-regular member of the forums or a recent member but active in the forums with an interest in organizing this event at Defcon?

As long as Nikita is cool with it, I think you have found your new forum meet organizer in Bbox.

Leave a comment:

• Bbox
    replied

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
    So I read that as your volunteering to commit the time to stay the entire evening?
    Absolutely. I would be more than happy to invest a bit of time in an attempt to get more people interested in the forums year round, making new Defcon attendees feel welcome to Defcon and the forums and making new acquaintances and friends.

If your interested in Volunteering to organize it, you should drop Nikita a line.
    Thanks, I will send message as directed.

We have talked about the forums at 101.
    Sorry, I must of just been overwhelmed with all the great info I was taking in and forgot about the forum discussion.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied

If you really have your heart set on doing it, let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably say something at the beginning of 101 while asking the Audience who knows there's a DefCon Forum, Who are Registered members.. Show of Hands.. And then telling them to join up and come to the forum meet @ X time on Y Date.
    I don't have my heart set on it at all. It sounds like you have a plan, I defer to you my good man. I'll talk about something I actually know something about...like drinking.

Leave a comment:

• HighWiz
    replied

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I intend to address both the Forums and the Forum meet during my DC101 talk. HighWiz, if that was something you intended to do then I'll leave it to you but I figured since the person that would be the best won't talk...the other admin will suck it up and pimp out the forums and the meet
    If you really have your heart set on doing it, let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably say something at the beginning of 101 while asking the Audience who knows there's a DefCon Forum, Who are Registered members.. Show of Hands.. And then telling them to join up and come to the forum meet @ X time on Y Date.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied

Last year there was even a Slide Dedicated to the Avatar Badge & during that time, I talked about the forums a bit.

However, the person who I think would be the best advocate for the forums, routinely rejects the invitation to speak.

hit me up.
    I intend to address both the Forums and the Forum meet during my DC101 talk. HighWiz, if that was something you intended to do then I'll leave it to you but I figured since the person that would be the best won't talk...the other admin will suck it up and pimp out the forums and the meet

Leave a comment:

• HighWiz
    replied

I have now read many of the past Forum Meet posts and have obtained lots of information. Just to summarize some of the things that came through loud and clear in "MY" interpretation. (not in any particular order of importance)

Don't be a Douche.

Have Rolling Rock beer available.
    Both very true.

Attendees best to have laminated Avatar badges (maybe have stick-on generic name badges for those who forget or the losers who do not care enough to put effort into the forum experience)
    It's not a bad idea having a "name tag". But having the Avatar badge is nice in being able to pick people out of a crowd.

An option might be some form of a "Split Event". Since so many of the active forum posters are also active in key Defcon positions or events at Defcon making their time very limited and some people not showing because they feel bad because they would have to leave quickly maybe we can have the first 45 min to an hour geared towards those who actively participate (or at least lurk enough to read this) to show up say hi introduce themselves (share a drink if they so desire) and then feel free to leave or hang around. The next hour or 2 can be the published advertised Forum Meet time that would allow potential new people to become "active" forum members. Some of us could stay the entire time, talk with anyone who shows and maybe get more people to understand that the Defcon experience does not end after the Con, it lives year round online at the Forum.
    So I read that as your volunteering to commit the time to stay the entire evening? If so, more power to you. If your interested in Volunteering to organize it, you should drop Nikita a line. If you don't know Nikita (IRL) I'd also recommend having some people who can vouch for you. I don't believe I know you in person. But if there are people on here or on staff or whatnot, who can say you're reliable - that would go a long way.

I think I have been to every Defcon 101 talk and I have always taken great info away from it, but I do not remember hearing much about the forums. Maybe at the Defcon 101 event this year someone can talk about the YEAR-ROUND Defcon Forum and encourage first time attendees to sign up and join us at the Forum Meet.

Last year there was even a Slide Dedicated to the Avatar Badge & during that time, I talked about the forums a bit.

However, the person who I think would be the best advocate for the forums, routinely rejects the invitation to speak.

Pyr0 (and Russr at the first one) talked about the forum meet during 101 as well.

The problem is, there's a lot going on and a finite amount of time at 101 so talking about the forums gets about 30 seconds to a minute (tops). And that's a lot of time for anything at 101. If you have a specific idea for promoting the forums at 101, hit me up.

Leave a comment:

• Bbox
    replied

I have now read many of the past Forum Meet posts and have obtained lots of information. Just to summarize some of the things that came through loud and clear in "MY" interpretation. (not in any particular order of importance)

Don't be a Douche.

Have Rolling Rock beer available.

Attendees best to have laminated Avatar badges (maybe have stick-on generic name badges for those who forget or the losers who do not care enough to put effort into the forum experience)

Understand Nikita's 2010 Drunken policy post on what can and cannot be allowed concerning alcohol.

Have a set location and try to avoid (at almost any cost) the need to relocate the venue at the last moment.

It also seems that as much as people would enjoy a full blown party that would be a lot of fun and also help some overcome their shyness or social interaction obstacles, it may not be a feasible idea for a Forum Meet. Between the timing issues around a very busy existing events schedule and a strong desire for the Forum Meet be a place where active existing forum members can meet, talk and put a face to the words we read throughout the entire year, it would seem a smaller (shorter timeframe) more intimate environment might be best.

An option might be some form of a "Split Event". Since so many of the active forum posters are also active in key Defcon positions or events at Defcon making their time very limited and some people not showing because they feel bad because they would have to leave quickly maybe we can have the first 45 min to an hour geared towards those who actively participate (or at least lurk enough to read this) to show up say hi introduce themselves (share a drink if they so desire) and then feel free to leave or hang around. The next hour or 2 can be the published advertised Forum Meet time that would allow potential new people to become "active" forum members. Some of us could stay the entire time, talk with anyone who shows and maybe get more people to understand that the Defcon experience does not end after the Con, it lives year round online at the Forum.

I think I have been to every Defcon 101 talk and I have always taken great info away from it, but I do not remember hearing much about the forums. Maybe at the Defcon 101 event this year someone can talk about the YEAR-ROUND Defcon Forum and encourage first time attendees to sign up and join us at the Forum Meet.

Sorry about the long winded post, as stated before I see the value of the Forum Meet and am willing to help in any way to make sure it stays at the con.
    Last edited by Bbox; May 13, 2011, 11:28.

Leave a comment:

• HighWiz
    replied

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
    HighWiz, is there any time that is mostly free of other events? I'm trying to think and I just can't find any free time other than early morning or mid afternoon around lunch time.
    Nope. The issue always come up when there is *anything* at DefCon. The answer usually is to find a time when it accommodates the most people. At one point (a few years ago?) there was a poll I believe in which the question was asked... Actually, after looking around, the question has come up more than once (in relation to the Forum Meet)

DC15:
    https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=8431

DC17:
    https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=10422

Historically it's been on Friday night for as long as I remember:

dc14:
    https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=7374

dc11:
    https://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=1903

Originally posted by eris View Post
    The problem with this is that it supposes that everyone interested in the forum meet is also old enough to hang at/in a bar in Vegas. Probably not a good bet.
    That's a really great point. I know there aren't skyboxes at the Rio, but the atmosphere and general layout of the room last year wasn't all that bad. Kallahar, made a valid point with the socially challenged issue though. Personally either way is fine for me, but I know if I was 19 and couldn't attend the forum meet, I'd be kinda sad.

If it's just a matter of manning a room and greeting people and helping with Badges for 2 or 3 hours, I can definitely handle that. If someone has bigger ideas I would be happy to help them put this together.
    Speaking of Badges, I hope everyone will be wearing their avatar badge again this year.

Can someone share with me what was done in the past?

Thanks
    Looking at the old Sub-forums/posts should give you a good idea of what has been done in the past. The forum meet has definitely changed over the years (as have the forums).

---------------------------

If people are cool with an hour in some room on Friday night, I will organize it. But, if people are looking for a party or something that goes all during the evening, then I can't dedicate that amount of time while *at* con.

If someone else wants to step up and organize it [even do something entirely different (like a party) with it], then I won't stand in the way at all.
    Last edited by HighWiz; May 13, 2011, 20:01. Reason: fixed something

Leave a comment:

• eris
    replied

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
    when's 101 start/end? maybe a quick meetup before or after might work well. I really like the idea of doing it at a bar too, that way it's less intimidating to the socially challenged (me).

Kallahar

The problem with this is that it supposes that everyone interested in the forum meet is also old enough to hang at/in a bar in Vegas. Probably not a good bet.

Leave a comment:

• hexjunkie
    replied

Bbox - Nakita and Lil' Freak would be the people you should direct that question at. Perhaps by PM.

The forum meet is pretty much what the host makes of it. Pretty much how everything else works at defcon. The creator has the ability to make the event how they see fit.

HighWiz, is there any time that is mostly free of other events? I'm trying to think and I just can't find any free time other than early morning or mid afternoon around lunch time.

Leave a comment:

• Bbox
    replied

I believe at the very least there should be some sort of meet & greet for forum members so I would be happy to help. I would be glad to help out in anyway needed.

If it's just a matter of manning a room and greeting people and helping with Badges for 2 or 3 hours, I can definitely handle that. If someone has bigger ideas I would be happy to help them put this together.

Can someone share with me what was done in the past?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X