Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Defcon Forum Meet needs leadership, or the forum meet won't happen...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kallahar
    replied
    Re: Defcon Forum Meet needs leadership, or the forum meet won't happen...

when's 101 start/end? maybe a quick meetup before or after might work well. I really like the idea of doing it at a bar too, that way it's less intimidating to the socially challenged (me).

Kallahar

Leave a comment:

• HighWiz
    replied

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
    What better way to meet your forum peoples other than getting lit while listening to the goon band?

So people bring their forum badges and we are set!

All agreed say aye.

Those opposed say nay.
    That's a nay...

Goon Band Practice starts at.. 9pm? The Summit starts at 8pm?. For those of who stay around the ToxicBBQ to help cleanup, usually don' get back till after 9.

Also, while personally I will be going to GB practice and the actual show, it's not really the type of place that's conducive to having an actual conversation like the forum meet has always been.

The problem isn't with it being on Friday night, just the length of the event. An hour or two hour window, gives most people enough time to pop in and say hello. 9 to 11 gives people more than enough time to stop by after dinner/goon band/crazy sex orgy and before they head to a night of partying.

Leave a comment:

• hexjunkie
    replied

Originally posted by Chris View Post
    The only thing I know of for sure is Goon Band practice (which we open up to * and basically let people get drunk and laugh at us while we fumble through getting the songs together)
    What better way to meet your forum peoples other than getting lit while listening to the goon band?

So people bring their forum badges and we are set!

All agreed say aye.

Those opposed say nay.

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied

Originally posted by hexjunkie View Post
    What is scheduled during con on Thursday ater TBBQ before TheSummit?
    The only thing I know of for sure is Goon Band practice (which we open up to * and basically let people get drunk and laugh at us while we fumble through getting the songs together)

Leave a comment:

• hexjunkie
    replied

What is scheduled during con on Thursday ater TBBQ before TheSummit?

Leave a comment:

• Chris
    replied

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
    I wouldn't even say 101 is good for meeting *at all*. Nor, is that it's intended purpose either. Kallahar is right, there are way too many people there for that.
    Which really makes me hope that someone does pick up the mantle from Lil_Freak and continues the Forum Meet Tradition.

If it was to go back to the old way (shorter time frame, more a "meet up" than a party), I'd be happy to help out. But I wouldn't throw in, if it involves dedicating the entire night to it. (IIRC last year was like 9pm to 2am).
    I agree on this point. I think the time frame should be 2 hours max. I really want to see the forum meet happen and will absolutely make sure that I attend but am also in the same position as the other responders and can't run it.

Leave a comment:

• hexjunkie
    replied

I'd take up the reins but unfortunately I'm over booked all evenings at con. Perhaps if the forum meet was in the afternoon on Thursday?

Leave a comment:

• HighWiz
    replied

I wouldn't even say 101 is good for meeting *at all*. Nor, is that it's intended purpose either. Kallahar is right, there are way too many people there for that.
    Which really makes me hope that someone does pick up the mantle from Lil_Freak and continues the Forum Meet Tradition.

If it was to go back to the old way (shorter time frame, more a "meet up" than a party), I'd be happy to help out. But I wouldn't throw in, if it involves dedicating the entire night to it. (IIRC last year was like 9pm to 2am).

Leave a comment:

• kallahar
    replied

The forums meets are a great way for new people to get to know new people in person. Even better than DC101 (too many people there). Basically it's a chance to chill out and actually make friends with people that you "know" online.

Maybe one of the "new" members would like to step up and organize? Basically we'll get you a room, you just need to be there the whole time, and maybe help coordinate drinks/nametags/etc.

Heck, maybe just meet at one of the rio bar's and bring name badges!

Kallahar

Leave a comment:

• Defcon Forum Meet needs leadership, or the forum meet won't happen...

I've checked with Lil_Freak, but have no response in 30 days. In talking to Headrush, things have been complicated lately, and other things are higher priority right now. Out of respect for her and her contributions and hard work she has provided over many years in running the forum meet, we yielded the benefit of time for decisions and I sent Lil_Freak and email on March 21, 2011 to ask about her return to Defcon this year to run the forum meet, and included a comment about lack of response in 30 days would mean I would hand it off to someone else if they were willing. We are now near the 45 day mark since I sent that message without a response. (Lil_Freak: no worries if you are just reading this now, and sorry that I am offering this to others: I hope you understand. :-)

I've asked the mods, but they are all in the same boat as me, and none of us have time to organize this while at Defcon.

Last year, and the year before, Nikita did the awesome thing of helping out with the organization of the Forum meet, providing resources, and helping with the planning and ideas for the forum meet to work. I spoke with her in IM, and she is worried that she will be too busy *at* Defcon to be the primary organizer of the Forum Meet, but acknowledged that she would be interested in providing support for new leadership that might run the forum meet, if they are interested.

Do you have ideas on how to run a forum meet? Have you thought the forum meet could be even better if only [...]? Are you a semi-regular member of the forums or a recent member but active in the forums with an interest in organizing this event at Defcon?

If so, please reply to this thread and announce your interest in running the Forum Meet at Defcon 19.

If more than one person responds with an interest in running the Forum meet, the Forum Mods and Nikita will try to decide. (Nikita would be involved in the decision, because she would be working with the volunteer to help it work out.) We might consider letting a team of people work together to make a forum meet with one person as the primary contact.

If nobody volunteers to run this, I am fine with letting it die.

What matters is you, and how you feel about letting it die. If you want it to live, make it live.

Thanks and good luck,
    -Cot
    Last edited by TheCotMan; May 10, 2011, 18:25.
Working...
X