DEFCON 19 Shoot shirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEFCON 19 Shoot shirt

i'm seriously concerned that i might not have the time, resources, or free RAM in my head to handle the creation of the DC Shoot Shirt this year. would anyone else like to do it?

i have only a few caveats...

1. in the past, they cost $20. i'd like to not exceed that this time.

2. in the past, my super duper awesome core support team got a few free shirts. (Merlin, for sure, plus whichever girlfriend i would connive into helping me prepare and ship gear, etc. and sometimes one other person. i'd like to extend that gift to them this year, too.

3. i'm hoping that RSO and Security staff can buy shirts at a discount. in the past, i've been able to manufacture the shirts for about $10... could these volunteers obtain shirts for $10? failing that, $15 please?

4. please use nice quality fabric and good production. i've been proud of the fact that my shirts in the past never fell apart or turned to washed-out shit in the laundry machine. (i hope... has anyone had this happen?) and i'd love to see that trend continue. Haines Beefy all-cotton may not be necessary, but you know... something good and preferably American-made would rule.

5. please have a good system for managing who wants what and for helping us identify who people are when they show up looking for their shirt. i don't mind if you want my staff in the Shoot Shop to distribute the shirts or to sell any surplus ones that you make (we'll but them from you at cost and sell them if we can, on a sort of commission basis perhaps?)... but please make it easy for them to identify the proper customers, etc. multiple copies of an easy-to-read sheet with verifiable info (either a private text string you give to pre-paid customers or god-knows-what)

any takers to this plan?

failing that, anyone care to submit a possible design for the shirts?
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: DEFCON 19 Shoot shirt

So I'm thinking about volunteering to handle the t-shirt logistics. Since this will be my first shoot I have no concept of how many people show up, and I'm looking for a very rough estimate of how many shirts are needed just so I can see whether it will work with my budget. For example, if there's going to be 100 people there, I don't know that I can swing $1000-$1500 to make shirts for everybody. If there are only 50, I can probably manage.

Can anyone (except Deviant, I know he's busy) give me an idea? I'd even be OK with "We had X last year..." as it gives me a starting point.

Comment

last year we had orders for the following...

.S - 1
      .M - 11
      .L - 9
      XL - 19
      2X - 9
      3X - 2
      5X - 3

i chose to produce in these quantities, to have a few extras...

.S - 2
      .M - 11
      .L - 12
      XL - 20
      2X - 10
      3X - 2
      5X - 3

i was able to make the shirts for about $9.00 each (9.50 for anything above XL) and shipped them out to Vegas with a lot of my lockpicking equipment.

almost all of the shirts were pre-arranged, but not paid for in advance. i wound up eating about a half dozen of them and gave them out as prizes, i think.
      Last edited by Deviant Ollam; June 21, 2011, 17:05.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

That's exactly the info I was hoping for, thanks Deviant! Let me run some numbers and I'll get back with a decision.

Comment

Alright, I'll take the t-shirt production and delivery on.

Based on a suggestion in the RSO thread I am thinking of doing grey t-shirts for particpants, red for RSOs, and yellow for security staff. All shirts would have the same design on them. Anybody have any comments on this idea?

If we keep to a single color design I should have no problem hitting a $20 price point, and might be able to go lower depending on number of shirts ordered. Anybody want to submit ideas for a design? I'm no designer but know someone who can clean up any ideas we throw out there...

Comment

someone could photoshop something ceezy-funny... like one side of the shirt from a screencap from the Matrix of Neo firing dual-handed, with the other side of the shirt being ZeroCool or someone else from hackers (like that annoying kid Joey) in his sights.
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

i agree that a coloring system might be cool, and i think that a great color selection would be orange for RSOs, yellow for security, and either gray or black for mere participants.

however, will you be asking RSOs and staff to buy their shirts at the $20 price? or is there a discount? i mean, due to the vests... they won't need the shirts to do their job, it's simply a cool privilege that they get to wear them later, i suppose. (enforcing who gets to buy them from you will be a process.. i'll likely have just a text string issued to anyone who registers or volunteers, they can use that to authenticate for badges, shirts, etc.
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

I'd like to second the motion for orange for RSOs. I don't wear red shirts. Particularly around hot weapons or unknown aliens. Most likely to be both out in that desert.
                TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                  however, will you be asking RSOs and staff to buy their shirts at the $20 price? or is there a discount? i mean, due to the vests... they won't need the shirts to do their job, it's simply a cool privilege that they get to wear them later, i suppose. (enforcing who gets to buy them from you will be a process.. i'll likely have just a text string issued to anyone who registers or volunteers, they can use that to authenticate for badges, shirts, etc.
                  sorry, I was in a hurry this afternoon and didn't specify. I intend to honor your request that staff t-shirts are discounted. I won't have a firm pricing quote until I have a better idea of how many shirts I'll be getting, but I don't think it will be problem to hit the $10-15 mark that you suggested.

Would it be helpful to you to have a simple website where people can go to register for the shoot? They fill out a form and it emails you their details for registration, and lets me know if they want a shirt? I'd be willing to throw something together if you think it would be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by FirmWarez View Post
                    I'd like to second the motion for orange for RSOs. I don't wear red shirts. Particularly around hot weapons or unknown aliens. Most likely to be both out in that desert.
                    Ok, so we've got orange for RSOs and yellow for security. Does anybody have a preference for the participants? I was thinking grey with black artwork/lettering.

Comment

Originally posted by flirzan View Post
                      Would it be helpful to you to have a simple website where people can go to register for the shoot? They fill out a form and it emails you their details for registration, and lets me know if they want a shirt?
                      i am planning on using a PayPal backend for the registrations, since that's how i currently sell the small assortment of picks and tools i mention on the lockpicking area of my site.

it works reasonably well, and can handle things like "inventory" quantity, etc. (which i plan on trying to use to restrict the overall number of lanes, perhaps even to cap the number of attendees)

i can add "shoot shirt" as an option for $0.00 cost, but just so we get a total of who is seeking what. i can even let people specify the Yellow or Orange shirts there, too. (with a disclaimer saying "you must process this using the same email you gave to Deviant while volunteering to be RSO or Security. any mismatches will result in a refund of your whole transaction and thus possible loss of your booked lane, etc etc etc)
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                        i am planning on using a PayPal backend for the registrations, since that's how i currently sell the small assortment of picks and tools i mention on the lockpicking area of my site.

it works reasonably well, and can handle things like "inventory" quantity, etc. (which i plan on trying to use to restrict the overall number of lanes, perhaps even to cap the number of attendees)

i can add "shoot shirt" as an option for $0.00 cost, but just so we get a total of who is seeking what. i can even let people specify the Yellow or Orange shirts there, too. (with a disclaimer saying "you must process this using the same email you gave to Deviant while volunteering to be RSO or Security. any mismatches will result in a refund of your whole transaction and thus possible loss of your booked lane, etc etc etc)
                        I was trying to make less work for you, not more, so don't worry about adding a shirt field to the registration. I'll handle t-shirt orders, and then you and I just need to coordinate on identification of the RSO and security staff. This problem actually handles itself on shoot day, as you will be identifying the staff as you give out assignments, so we could distribute shirts then.

Comment

Originally posted by flirzan View Post
                          identification of the RSO and security staff. This problem actually handles itself on shoot day, as you will be identifying the staff as you give out assignments, so we could distribute shirts then.
                          just to clarify for anyone else reading this... flizran and i are speaking about "identifying" these volunteers for purposes of allocating their shirts.

during the Shoot itself, all staff will be easily-identified by the orange and yellow neon mesh vests i'll have for staff to wear.

these colored shirts will primarily be commemorative, for people to display later on after the event.
                          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Are you open to design submissions? I have a few crafty ideas I can draw up that Id like to share. What text should be on front/back?

Also, "Security B-Sides Detroit" just did a con shirt in bright orange for attendees and looked awesome. It was a bright orange color on "Hanes tag-less shirts" which were super confortable in 95 degree heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyord View Post
                              Are you open to design submissions? I have a few crafty ideas I can draw up that Id like to share. What text should be on front/back?

Also, "Security B-Sides Detroit" just did a con shirt in bright orange for attendees and looked awesome. It was a bright orange color on "Hanes tag-less shirts" which were super confortable in 95 degree heat.
                              Ugh, just re-read the original post

standby for design submissions...

Also, I don't print shirts in volume, so I'm not aware of pricing, which begs this question:

1 color for everything? or multi-color/open pallet? I imagine thats going to impact price..

Comment

Working...
                              X