Ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ammo?

There was some mention of possibly having ammo for sale at the shoot shop. Is this still on the agenda, or was it nixed? I'm trying to decide whether I want to ship some ammo down, or buy some locally, or...

Re: Ammo?

Same. *watches thread*

Comment

I will bring ammo for my shooters in case the shoot folks do not carry my calibers.

Comment

New Frontier Armory, in North Las Vegas, usually has good deals on bulk ammo (500 & 1000 round cases). Their inventory changes daily, so contact them to see what they have in stock.

New Frontier Armory
        150 East Centennial Parkway Suite #110
        North Las Vegas, NV 89084-1337
        Tel: 702.479.1470
        Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday: 1000 - 1800 hrs
        Tuesday & Thursday: Closed
        Last edited by Quiet; July 14, 2011, 06:31.
        “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

i still wanted to try to have ammo available at the Shoot Shop... but i haven't planned anything concrete yet. that's a pretty huge investment and overhead for costs... without being a local it's a significant undertaking.

if anyone else wanted to consider handling something like that this year, i'd be game for that. feel free to discuss.
          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

I'm thinking I'll just ship some ammo to the hotel, due to the 11lb airline limits.

Comment

Getting stuffed shipped and then having it find you in the hotel postal system is iffy at best. I had stuff shipped to the riv and they had it for days before finding me.
              Last edited by astcell; July 19, 2011, 11:07.

Comment

since i'm a little short on the dollars and cents with respect to the DC Shoot's bottom line, i think that i surely will be transporting ammo to have in the Shoot Shop.

you can assume that 5.56 NATO will be there, as will some 7.62 NATO. as far as handgun calibers, we'll have to see... but i think i can wrangle some boxes of .45 and 9mm since they are often the most popular.

maybe some .22LR as well, since it's cheap etc. i'll have to come up with some pricing scheme for each of these that does the following...

1. results in sales using exactly $5 or $20 bills, no change (as with all things in the Shoot Shop)

2. makes it worth my while to hump it all out there in my gear shipment

more details when i think of them.
                "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                  since i'm a little short on the dollars and cents with respect to the DC Shoot's bottom line, i think that i surely will be transporting ammo to have in the Shoot Shop.

you can assume that 5.56 NATO will be there, as will some 7.62 NATO. as far as handgun calibers, we'll have to see... but i think i can wrangle some boxes of .45 and 9mm since they are often the most popular.

maybe some .22LR as well, since it's cheap etc. i'll have to come up with some pricing scheme for each of these that does the following...

1. results in sales using exactly $5 or $20 bills, no change (as with all things in the Shoot Shop)

2. makes it worth my while to hump it all out there in my gear shipment

more details when i think of them.
                  I would much prefer to buy from you if you can get the ammo there, both to hopefully help the shoot's bottom line (assuming you make something on the ammo), and for the selfish reason of not having to go track down ammo. I'm only bringing one pistol, in 9mm, so if you're keeping track you can put me down for a couple hundred rounds of 9mm.

If you decide it's not feasible I will source ammo locally, since I'll be in town a couple days early.

Comment

Originally posted by flirzan View Post
                    If you decide it's not feasible I will source ammo locally, since I'll be in town a couple days early.
                    well, i can say this... if i am bringing ammo to the shoot it's not flying with me (pretty sure i'd be over the 11 pound limit on that, hah)

so that means it will be in one of the gear shipments that are going to DEFCON via ground transit from the east coast. the last of those shipments (i think) we've scheduled to head out by Tuesday the 26th. so i'll surely be able to post here as to whether or not there's a load of ammo on the way to Vegas.

i'll try to get to a store and come up with pricing, etc. as soon as i can. loads and loads going on right now, mostly prep for the Lockpick Village and Black Hat trainings.
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Ammo!

well... turns out i found a way to squeeze a little more blood from a stone on my pre-DEFCON finances (read: a PayPal withdrawal kicked through) so i placed a pretty gargantuan ammo order. (over 6,000 rounds)

if all goes well, the Shoot Shop will have on-hand...
                      _500_ rounds of_ .45 ACP
                      1000_ rounds of_ 9mm
                      _500_ rounds of_ .38 spl
                      _500_ rounds of_ .40 S&W
                      1000_ rounds of_ 5.56

_500_ rounds of_ .308
                      _600_ rounds of_ 7.62x39
                      1000_ rounds of_ 12ga #1 buck

1000_ rounds of_ .22 LR

... i plan on the Shoot Shop making these available in easy-to-move amounts that rely on $5 bills only.

that first block of ammo (the pistols and the 5.56) will be "five will get you ten" (50 cents a round)

the second group there (the .308, the Soviet, and the shotgun shells) cost me a little more so they will be a six-pack for half a sawbuck (about 83 cents a round)

the .22 is coming in packs of 50 and i don't plan on breaking them up... just a 50-pack for five bucks and done. (about 10 cents around)

So, not the most amazing screaming deals in the world (you could likely do a little better for yourself if you find a Wal-Mart or some bulk-buy sporting goods place like Cabela's) but i wanted to make it not assrape for anyone who wants to buy ammo at the site itself.

i basically broke the bank getting what i go, so i'm sorry if we run out of anything but i couldn't manage to obtain more right now... get in line early, i guess. the Shoot Shop should be set up early, so sales can start at 09:00 when people arrive and are getting settled. NOTE - like the shooting lanes and the chill tent, the Shoot Shop is an amenity only for registered and badged attendees.

hmm... i am hoping that this doesn't cross the line into being a commercial post. while it does clearly mention things in a retail context, the focus is not on items being sold right now, but rather things that are going to be sold at some future time and place. also, the main reason i wanted to post this was to let people explicitly know the cost-per-round if they are getting ammo at the shoot, so that they can better judge whether it's worth it to them to obtain their own ammo elsewhere beforehand. i just want people to have a good time and not feel squeezed for money.
                      Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 20, 2011, 12:00.
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Re: Ammo!

... you could likely do a little better for yourself if you find a Wal-Mart or some bulk-buy sporting goods place like Cabela's ...
                        [/I]

No Cabela's in Vegas, but there is a enormous Bass Pro shop right off I15 (< 1 mile south of I215) You might want to go just to go.

Comment

Originally posted by pukingmonkey View Post
                          No Cabela's in Vegas, but there is a enormous Bass Pro shop right off I15 (< 1 mile south of I215) You might want to go just to go.
                          heh, i hope at least some folk want to get rounds from the Shoot Shop, or else i'll be humping a LOT of brass back home.

in all likelihood, of course, it's not serious shooters who are going to be making use of that system. the Shoot Shop is being set up, in part, so that firearm owners who are sharing their guns will have an easy resource to direct people to when they say "hey, can i try out that rifle??" and don't have ammo of their own. i really was miffed when i started hearing stories from the past about people just showing up, shooting through other people's ammunition, and then wandering off like it was nothing.
                          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Bass Pro sells at MSRP, so you will probably never pay MORE than you do at Bass Pro, fyi.

Comment

heh, i hope at least some folk want to get rounds from the Shoot Shop, or else i'll be humping a LOT of brass back home.
                              Do you know what type of 9mm you'll be getting? (bullet weight / manufacturer)

Comment

Working...
                              X