X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toxic BBQ Cancelled

Hey Guys,

It is with a heavy heart that I have decided to cancel the BBQ this year. As you may have seen in the other thread we ran into issues with the location. Our spot was reserved and paid for earlier this year with the expectation that we were ready to go. Unfortunately the park did not provide an updated schedule of their renovations which would close the park for a 6mo to 8mo period of time. So a coupe of weeks ago I received a call that our reservation was cancelled due to this renovation. (As an added note note only did there renovation screw us it screwed quite a few other large events like the Vegas renfaire)

For the last three weeks I put in more effort then I would like to admit calling in every favor I had to try and get us into the park during this renovation. Unfortunately I was not successful since its a state funded renovation the bureaucracy is thick. I had two other parks selected but they are only a fraction of the size of the space that we need. I even tried to rent the entirety of these two parks. but they are just two small.

I looked at several hotels and large spaces to rent including sending out several creative request for proposals for these locations. All came back want ridiculous amounts of money for spaces or would not let us cook our own food.

With the few options I had left the park that was too small and wouldn't rent me the entire thing and hotels and event centers that were way overpriced I decided that with the time I had left it would be best to cancel the BBQ this year. We are too big to just hijack a park, with the size our event we will quickly get shutdown. I love the toxic BBQ to much to let it be done in a half ass manor, that's why I throw my money and name on all the official paper work every year to make sure it happens without issue. I wish there were other locations that would work but the next closest park is very far out of town and is not feasible for the BBQ. I would rather take the donated money and my money and put it into the BBQ for 2012 (which I have fun plans for).

I hope that everyone can understand the decision that I had to make and although the BBQ may not happen this year it is not gone as it will return for Defcon 20. I can highly recommend the other events that are going on Thursday like the shoot and the Alexis Park pre-defcon party.

I am going to keep trying to get our spot at the park but the outlook is not so good, thanks again for all your support and sorry that this year is a fail.
    There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Re: Toxic BBQ Cancelled

I have a few idea's of places. PM sent..

This makes me sad :( I've been looking forward to it for the past year.
    Social Engineering sucks that damn homeless person on the corner makes more then me... Why can't I learn to smell funny and ask for money?

Comment

Well they won this one. ONE. We're still ahead.

VEGETARIANS: 1
      MEAT EATERS: 6

Comment

Wow this sucks, but I can't help think, the desert...? The shoot location, though much farther, but you don't have to deal with the government.

xor
        Just because you can doesn't mean you should. This applies to making babies, hacking, and youtube videos.

Comment

Sunset park is a dive anyway. If you're going to pull out, you should endorse a candidate.

Comment

Other events have taken a year or more off and come back strong and better than before. You have a lot on your plate this year, don't feel bad about not doing this one thing. Next year will be amazing with the extra time to plan and save money.
            "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Thank you, Londo, for trying :)
              ======================================
              DJ Jackalope
              dopest dj in the galaxy. *mwah!*

send in the drop bears!
              ======================================

Comment

A great thanks to you and all of the toxic BBQ organizers, with your hard work, dedication, and contributions of time & money years after year to making this a success so many years in a row.

You have faced torrential rains that temporarily stopped traffic at the LAS airport, but the Toxic BBQ went on.

You have faced threats from LVPD to shut down the event, but finessed a solution and compromise when that happened.

When the size of the event threatened to kill it, you found a better location to support more people and games.

When little office-desk, small-g, local government threatened to deny access to a park without some sort of "security" presence, you pooled resources, and found a way to make that happen.

All of these troubles and many more over many years of Toxic BBQ, and what is it that kills it this year?

Bureaucratic ineptitude by the local government to notify you in a timely manner that a previously agreed-to contractual agreement could not be met by them, and this made worse by them not notifying you, but you having to find out on your own.

Suggested slogans for a missing Toxic BBQ:
                "Clipboard-canceler burns our brains and human meat is not the same.
                Guuuuuhhhhhh.... brains.... CANCELED by brain-dead bureaucratic zombies."

Allowing for a following year to "resurrect" it or raise the undead or something about a Toxic BBQ being the only way to safely cook zombie meat. O:-)

Comment

Sorry to hear it is a wash this year. The TB is one of my favorite events. They screwed the RenFest too? Wow. That is my 2nd favorite thing at Sunrise Park.

You guys are awesome and look forward to enjoying some tasty beer and mammal flesh in 2012!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I am not stepping away from running the BBQ as was inferred above, this year is simply a bureaucratic fail boat and I just simply don't have enough time to secure another suitable location. The location thing is a tricky one, too close to defcon and we will have to many people, to far away and the attendance will suck. locations that are not a public space have high costs and crappy requirements. If we were still less than 100 people I wouldn't even sweat it, but we now have numbers of 700+ people that come to the BBQ.

But have no fear I have actually have had some really good conversations and next years BBQ will be killer as I will have a few surprises like a beer tent perhaps, so stay tuned. The money is already there for next year as is the space, permit, support so I know it will be awesome. The year off will benefit the BBQ due to the size this will give me a chance to reboot the efforts and planning which I have been wanting to do since we hit 500 people.

So I have a suggestion for this year......We should all still do something as the Toxic BBQ group. How do you guys feel about raiding the RIO or Palms Buffet at 6pm on thurs? I dunno I like the idea of raiding something as a group.
                    There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

+1 to Eris.

To clear the air on any entitlement nerds that may pop up from this, the ToxicBBQ has never run a balance. It started with all contributions coming from people that just went, bought stuff, and brought it to the park. When the size of the party grew to where permits were needed, Londo covered the cost out of pocket months in advance; donations at the event only go to help pay that down retro... for years and he never actually gets fully covered. I know, I've helped count the cash from time to time; and that gap grows exponentially each year.

Just like every year someone wants to move the time/day of the Forum Meet, TBBQ, or other established events, it's always mentioned how Sunset Park is such an awful hole and we could do ourselves a favor by moving to 'x' park on the other side of town. From the years of inquiry and experience into this, I'm pretty confident that most of those possibilities have been considered and discarded for good reason. There are a lot of reasons why Sunset Park was chosen and kept all these years- travel distance, surroundings, size to name a few. Especially considering his attempts to successfully try, I see no reason why Londo should move it now.

But that's not the problem here.. By that show of dedication alone, the attitude that the ToxicBBQ happens on his terms or not at all is totally valid. Why throw a lame party?

To that end, the ToxicBBQ has always run on our terms. At inception, it was just a bunch of nerds wanting to grill up something tastier than the greasy ass pizza at the AP. The AP wouldn't have it, so ~72 of us said 'fuck you' and went offsite. Go back to our roots and hack the situation here. There's nothing stopping anyone or everyone from organizing their own SubToxicBBQ(s) while waiting for the mothership to land again!
                      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

RAID NIGHT!

Epic purples will be found as we cumulatively take down the highly skilled cooking staff encounters. Join us for your chance at a Legendary by sampling Seafood in the desert. Come earn your Carnival World Buffet Crusader achievement.
                        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Bummer. I was glad to have made it out to my first and only Toxic last year (thanks to CyMike and the Hacker Bus for transport).

-vect0rx

Comment

Originally posted by converge View Post
                            RAID NIGHT!

Epic purples will be found as we cumulatively take down the highly skilled cooking staff encounters. Join us for your chance at a Legendary by sampling Seafood in the desert. Come earn your Carnival World Buffet Crusader achievement.
                            What time? 5pm ?
                            And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

What Converge said x10 to the power of 10. When you start paying for an event the size and magnitude of cool that the BBQ has been, THEN you can piss and moan about it all you want.

I'm in for a group dinner.
                              "They-Who-Were-Google are no longer alone. Now we are all Google."

Comment

Working...
                              X