This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Toxic BBQ Cancelled

How much space do you need? Want me to check for the Rio parking lot? I know it is concrete and not grass. Just say the word!
    PGP key: dtangent@defcon.org valid 2020 Jan 15, to 2024 Jan 01 Fingerprint: BC5B CD9A C609 1B6B CD81 9636 D7C6 E96C FE66 156A

Comment

We can always descend on In-n-Out. LOCUST-CON!

Comment

Londo ,
        Sucks but I think we all understand. If there is someway any of us could help out and do some leg work let us know.
        I mean you have at least 500 hacker types to help motivate those in need of motivation.
        oh and thanks for the ride way back at TBBQ1
        mage2atbleedingwounddotcom
        KeyID 3B535825D9402365
        FingerPrint C2AA E142 8826 BAE3 9C2B AA0C 3B53 5825 D940 2365

Comment

Yeah, thanks for all the hard work, and I'm sure it'll be great next year!

http://predefcon.org - everyone is welcome to come to the AP (pool 3) on thursday and do an underground BBQ - by underground I mean "don't tell the hotel". Like the first Toxic BBQ you'll have to bring your own BBQ, food, utensils, fixins, drinks, etc. None of this "I'll just show up and they'll feed me" mentality. There's also an on-site bar and restaurant for the planning-impaired.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Kallahar
          --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

We should all wear Hotel Security uniforms at the AP. :>

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Tangent View Post
              How much space do you need? Want me to check for the Rio parking lot? I know it is concrete and not grass. Just say the word!
              I got a general thumbs down from the hotel as they would not let us cook our own food and or have our own booze when I talked to them. They did offer to cater the event for us but that's not really the intent of the BBQ. Even if they let us have the parking lot I am concerned about the amount of people and the amount of food and grill space we would need for everyone since I would expect many more to attend with it on site.

I'll send you a PM maybe we can talk about the details.
              There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Thanks so much for all your work on this L0nd0 and I'm sad to hear this year is fraught with obstacles. Its fantastic that you do this year after year and I know all of us appreciate it. I will just have to look forward to next year and keep my fingers crossed that a miracle might happen for this year.

- Now the question for me becomes how am I'm going to tell my boyfriend the non-techie chef that the one reason I can lure him to Defcon year after year is now gone?This might not go so well

Originally posted by L0nd0 View Post
                I got a general thumbs down from the hotel as they would not let us cook our own food and or have our own booze when I talked to them. They did offer to cater the event for us but that's not really the intent of the BBQ. Even if they let us have the parking lot I am concerned about the amount of people and the amount of food and grill space we would need for everyone since I would expect many more to attend with it on site.

I'll send you a PM maybe we can talk about the details.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, but I think I will have enough time to spin up another contest for this year. Keep an eye out for my post later ad maybe it will help to draw him in.

Originally posted by tardissauce View Post
                  Thanks so much for all your work on this L0nd0 and I'm sad to hear this year is fraught with obstacles. Its fantastic that you do this year after year and I know all of us appreciate it. I will just have to look forward to next year and keep my fingers crossed that a miracle might happen for this year.

- Now the question for me becomes how am I'm going to tell my boyfriend the non-techie chef that the one reason I can lure him to Defcon year after year is now gone?This might not go so well
                  There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

- Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Oh, you probably shouldn't have contacted them, now they know who to blame when it all goes bad :) I meant "just show up until they call the police"
                    --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

I will and if you do manage to "cook" something up, you'll be my hero!

Originally posted by L0nd0 View Post
                      Thanks for the kind words, but I think I will have enough time to spin up another contest for this year. Keep an eye out for my post later ad maybe it will help to draw him in.

Comment

Originally posted by tardissauce View Post
                        Don't Tell him..... Sometimes it is better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Comment

Originally posted by eris View Post
                          Other events have taken a year or more off and come back strong and better than before. You have a lot on your plate this year, don't feel bad about not doing this one thing. Next year will be amazing with the extra time to plan and save money.
                          Absolutely perfectly put. I fear what will happen with the Toxic BBQ comes roaring back next year.

Thank you so, so much for your hard work, even when it's just been being told "no" and "not really" a dozen times - imho that's the hardest work of all.

No one can just half-ass or magically spontaneous-mob an event as well-handled as the BBQ into existence, and I'm always amazed as how well the BBQ goes.

Comment

Working...
                          X