lane signage, attendee badge policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lane signage, attendee badge policy

this will be covered at the briefings before the Shoot starts, but i figured i'd just give some folk a heads-up by posting here, as well, to help keep the knowledge spread.

as you know, almost all of the official lanes this year will have tent canopies overhead. there will be signs hanging from (actually zip-tied to) the cross-beams showing people which lanes are which...

... next to each lane sign there will also be an additional plastic page cover. the idea is that each person who has reserved a lane and is controlling it for an hour will adjust their secondary sign to reflect the lane's guest policy...

... those pages are double-sided and meant to be easily folded in half like so...

... thus allowing lane holders to post a wide array of options:
    1. Private Lane - this is how all lanes will be marked by default. I don't want anyone to feel pressure like it's their obligation to let people other than your immediate party use the lane space that you paid to reserve.

2. Everyone Welcome - if you are willing to let anyone (provided they are a badge-wearing shoot attendee) come and shoot on your part of the line, that's fine. fold the lane sign to show just the yellow welcome lettering.

3. Military Welcome - some people like to say thanks for your service and extend free lane space to military shooters. we don't have too many folk registered that way just yet (actually, most are acting as RSOs) but those who are regular military will have that designated on their attendee badge. (you'll see at the event, this will be pretty clear)

4. Un-Free's Welcome - we have more of these than military... about a dozen people attending the DEFCON Shoot this year are coming from countries with awful gun laws. i wanted to do our best to extend a welcome to them and allow them to see what having freedom feels like at 3000fps. Fold your sign to show the blue lettering so they know they can stop by and get some trigger time on your steel (direct them to the Shoot Shop for ammo if you don't want them burning through yours)

5. Military & Un-Free's Welcome - some people wanted to be a little more inviting, but not open their lane to the whole masses... so show the green/blue side of your sign without folding it.

6. Everybody Welcome & Private Lane - if anyone displays their lane sign unfolded with both the red and yellow letters giving totally contrarian meanings we will assume you are either of too low an IQ to safely handle weapons or that you have been drinking early. either way, it won't make you look too good to us.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 27, 2011, 11:32.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Re: lane signage, attendee badge policy

Another note that will be covered during the intro but i'll also mention here...

The policy for attendee badges will be for people to wear them in a slightly non-standard way. People will wear them so they can be seen from behind... either clipped to hats (like fishing licenses) or clipped on the collar of your shirt in the rear of your neck.

There are a couple reasons for this...
    1. Security staff (and RSOs, for that matter) need to know if you belong where you are standing and shooting. If you are facing downrange, this is an effective and simple way for the DEFCON Shoot staff to immediately see your credentials.

2. I hopefully will have small red round dot stickers with me. Place one on your badge if you do not want to appear in any photos or videos. People have been pretty good about trying to respect photo policy in the past, and this should help to continue that trend. Again, the most typical way in which you might wind up on camera is with your back to the photographer as you send lead downrange. Having everyone's tag in a consistent and expected spot and having some tags conspicuously marked with the red dot should help a lot as shutterbugs start uploading things to their galleries later on.

... the only inconvenience i can see possibly is when you're in line at the Shoot Shop you'll have to turn around briefly when you reach the sales table, so that the staff there knows you're a badged participant and eligible to get things. Meh, small price to pay for making the rest of the administration all that easier, wouldn't you think?
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Sounds good, my only comment is on the red stickers for photographs, can I suggest two colors?

I'm fine with anyone taking my picture not for profit and with a creative commons license attached to it. I just would rather not show up in some for profit stock photo gallery. Others might only want photographers that use their photos for personal use (not shared online)?

Or maybe this just complicates things too much.

Comment

Originally posted by seeess View Post
        Sounds good, my only comment is on the red stickers for photographs, can I suggest two colors?

I'm fine with anyone taking my picture not for profit and with a creative commons license attached to it. I just would rather not show up in some for profit stock photo gallery. Others might only want photographers that use their photos for personal use (not shared online)?

Or maybe this just complicates things too much.
        I'm on board with that notion: private pics ok, but for-profit or mass media should be required to take our pics from the OTHER end of the lanes...

Literally kill two birds with one 'stone.'
        The f*ck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon? - chs

Comment

For-Profit pictures would require a model release. If you do not sign a release you will never see your picture being used for advertising with Smith and Wesson. And if you do, you will be rich.

Interesting how many folks do not want this them upload their pics to facebook or other sites. You know you just about give away all your rights, right?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell View Post
            Interesting how many folks do not want this then upload their pics to facebook or other sites. You know you just about give away all your rights, right?
            what is the consequence of uploading to a private site (say, your own gallery on your own domain, like 23b) that is public-facing?
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
              what is the consequence of uploading to a private site (say, your own gallery on your own domain, like 23b) that is public-facing?
              23b is owned by another person and while I do not recall his rules, he will have final say. In normal law the copyright is possessed by the photographer unless otherwise agreed upon. I have shot many images which end up used by other for personal use, which is fine. Now and then I see others claiming my work to be theirs. Then I get bothered. I plan to take slo-mo video at the shoot. While I appreciate a byline I won't cry if it doesn't happen.

As far as anyone using your physical image on film, we are shooting on pubic land. You can NOT deny the use of your image for editorial and news purposes. You CAN deny your image being used as an advertisement which is highly unlikely anyway. If the press shows up and wants to report on the "Defcon shoot event" they can take pictures and you cannot stop them. You may even be arrested if you try. The most you can do is make yourself unphotogenic.

Comment

You may even be arrested if you try. The most you can do is make yourself unphotogenic.
                Flipping them off usually works

And thinking about this in the daylight, I agree with astcell. We won't have any expectation of privacy, so people can do whatever they want with cameras (regardless of what you want).

Comment

Originally posted by seeess View Post
                  Flipping them off usually works
                  Don't be surprised if they print it and write a less than friendly story. Remember they don't care about us, they care about a story, any story. Just don't give them one if you don't want anything out there.

Comment

Don't be surprised if they print it and write a less than friendly story. Remember they don't care about us, they care about a story, any story. Just don't give them one if you don't want anything out there.
                    Which means don't show up with balaclavas to protect your identity, because then the story becomes "OMG HAX0R TERRORISTS IZ TRAINING IN THE DEZERT!!!!1!"

Comment

As far as anyone using your physical image on film, we are shooting on pubic land. You can NOT deny the use of your image for editorial and news purposes. You CAN deny your image being used as an advertisement which is highly unlikely anyway. If the press shows up and wants to report on the "Defcon shoot event" they can take pictures and you cannot stop them. You may even be arrested if you try. The most you can do is make yourself unphotogenic.
                      I plan to shoot video and still images at the first part of the shoot. (I will be leaving the shoot early.) Though legally, there are rights to shoot people in public that have no expectation of privacy, the last time I shot we DID ask if anyone did not want to be in any videos or stills. There were only 3 people that did not want to be filmed. I did my best to avoid shooting them, but this is difficult when I leave a camera running and they walked across my field of recording. When that happened, I had to edit them out after filming was finished. (It really would make it easier to avoid people that don't want to be filmed if a system like the pink tape/flag could be used.)

2 Year ago, another method was suggested for people that did not want to be on film which was use of special pink tape/flags or stickers. I am happy to abide by requests to not be filmed.

If it works like last time, I plan to ask after the introduction if anyone does not want to be filmed, and hopefully we can make some sort of arrangement to allow me to recognize you, and avoid shooting you. If you walk across my shot, I will do my best to edit you out, when I get home. (It would also help if I could take a still picture of you from behind, neck-down, or something like a unique tee shirt design, so I can use that as a reference of who not to film, unless we have some sort of other way to identify you when filming and later when editing if you happen to stroll into the field of view.)

Comment

Put those who wish to remain invisible on an end lane, set up your camera past their lane facing the rest of the lanes.

Comment

Put those who wish to remain invisible on an end lane, set up your camera past their lane facing the rest of the lanes.
                          With lane reservations, won't this be difficult? It is possible that people that don't want to be filmed will be spread throughout the different lanes, as lanes are numbered... (Who says lanes have to be numbered in sequence? :-)

Of course, it may be possible to convince Deviant Ollam to move those numbers for lanes of people that don't want to be filmed to one end, but that would likely mean moving tent/covers, and would probably be too much work.

Comment

If you do not want to be filmed you should not go out in public. 97% of the people who do not want to be filmed really just hate how they look on camera. 2% told their S.O. they were somewhere else, and 1% are wanted or under cover.

Comment

I paid just the reg fee cause the extra 5 bucks didn't bother me but i'm from ont canada where you pretty much cant have a gun unless your a cop as far as i know. Should i have gone unfree.?

Comment

Working...
                              X