This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC 20 - Canadian Consulate?

So I'm just tossing this idea out there. At DC19 I ran into a fairly large number of fellow Canadians that I had not met before either that they were new to Defcon, we'd not crossed paths before, or just geographic distance.

This got me thinking we need to get to know one another a bit better which means some kind of Defcon gathering. Hotel rooms are not conducive to this, but there are a bunch of the meeting rooms in the con space that are up for grabs for just such events.

Idea: Have a meet and greet type gathering one night for the Canadians attending Defcon. Obviously not going to exclude anyone else, but at the very least a place for the Canadian hackerspaces to connect and anyone else in the hacker community up above the 49th parallel.

(Note: I am already working on how to get Tim Hortons to ship a metric ton of coffee for us, so dont bother suggesting it)

Still just a very basic idea, I have not looked into logistics yet, but wanted thoughts from my fellow Canadians (and anyone else for that matter) if this was worth persuing for next year?
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Re: DC 20 - Canadian Consulate?

That sounds like a good idea maybe ill meet some people closer to where i live to meet up with and talk computer stuff. Your really the only Canadian person i saw at defcon. Though i did meet a lot of great people from other parts in north America and europe. I know there is a hackerspace in toronto but thats about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ButterSnatcher View Post
      That sounds like a good idea maybe ill meet some people closer to where i live to meet up with and talk computer stuff. Your really the only Canadian person i saw at defcon. Though i did meet a lot of great people from other parts in north America and europe. I know there is a hackerspace in toronto but thats about it.
      And therein lies the problem I'm solving. There are several spaces across the country and I met about two dozen people who were from Canada. It's a big country, we are fairly well represented, but we dont know each other. I want to solve that.

Comment

Of course, you'll have to have all the signs in English and en francais, or face a heavy fine.

<ducking>
        Thorn
        "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Thorn there is no need to duck, I was thinking the same thing!
          Love is a Mental Illness

Comment

I'd be game. Entrants must consume one Canadian beer (not necessarily "Molson Canadian") or/and a poutine.

Originally posted by Thorn View Post
            Of course, you'll have to have all the signs in English and en francais, or face a heavy fine.

<ducking>
            It'd make the place feel so much more like home... :3

Comment

I'd be totally up for this. There's a fairly large contingent of Canadians in the HackerPyramid team -- I think 7+ actually -- might be time to have some insignia as we're reaching the point where we have some numbers :)

Comment

Excellent idea!

Comment

Ok, there seems to be enough interest.

Who do I talk to about room allocations for such an event?

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
                    Ok, there seems to be enough interest.

Who do I talk to about room allocations for such an event?
                    I'm making inquiries about one of the meeting rooms for a few hours on Thursday night. I figure that a meetup before the rest of con (and competing with other parties on other nights) is a sane thing. Sort of a 5-7 thing. Canadians get in free with Canadian ID, others get in for a donation (even a buck) to Canadian hackerspaces (which I need to reach out to)

I want to get some Timmy's coffee to serve

I want to get some Canadian swag to give away/raffle

I want to see if any Canadian cons are willing to sponsor (cover any shipping, hotel costs, maybe a drink ticket?)

I suck at logistics, so any help is appreciated. Thoughts from my fellow canucks?

Comment

What kinda canadian swag were you thinking? and with the coffee thing do you think it will be an issue as the conference area i know was pretty particular about outside things though i dont think it should matter as long as were not charging. not sure. I could probably get some cheezy buttons made up that say im canadian EH or something random for the real canuks so for those that may not make it there for the specific time could still find others. Could also maybe be patches too which would last longer but that would depend on difference in cost. Though that could be pushing it lol.

Comment

This sounds like a good idea.

This will be my first visit and so far the event is overwhelming. It would be spiffy to connect up with some like minded spellers.

Please and thank you
                        HC SVNT DRACONES
                        I Dream of exploring the edges

Comment

Originally posted by student_T View Post
                          This sounds like a good idea.

This will be my first visit and so far the event is overwhelming. It would be spiffy to connect up with some like minded spellers.

Please and thank you

If you Canadian's were not successful this year at getting your gathering going, you are more than welcome to setup your Canadian consulate in an area inside the Defcon 20 Forum meet on Friday night. You can gather and meet each other and then all of you together can join in the fun with the rest of us. (it's an option just in case you need it)

student_T, either way please join us on Friday night between 9:00 and Midnight at the Defcon 20 Forum Meet.

Since this is your first Defcon I would also recommend attending Defcon 101 on Thursday. It is a must for any new attendees and a smart choice even for old timers. It will start your Defcon experience off the correct way!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman View Post
                            I'm making inquiries about one of the meeting rooms for a few hours on Thursday night. I figure that a meetup before the rest of con (and competing with other parties on other nights) is a sane thing. Sort of a 5-7 thing. Canadians get in free with Canadian ID, others get in for a donation (even a buck) to Canadian hackerspaces (which I need to reach out to)

I want to get some Timmy's coffee to serve

I want to get some Canadian swag to give away/raffle

I want to see if any Canadian cons are willing to sponsor (cover any shipping, hotel costs, maybe a drink ticket?)

I suck at logistics, so any help is appreciated. Thoughts from my fellow canucks?

If you get Tim Horton coffee I am so there! Good timing too, right before EFF.

Comment

BBOX - Might take you up on that. My schedual has not allowed me the time to get things orginized. Grifter never got back to me, so space was never allocated.

Dont want to make it exclusionary since we are all hacker family, so perhaps a button or sticker will be available for Canadians to ID ourselves to one another and facilitate conversation. We'll see what I can scrounge up.

ASTcell - Your recent discovery makes me think a well placed email might make some Timmy's coffee available. Just need to figure out how to get some coffee makers in the room.

Render

Comment

Working...
                              X