No announcement yet.

How would you make Defcon 21 better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How would you make Defcon 21 better?

Originally posted by wick2o View Post
    A group party with defcon attendees and the rollercon attendees. All of the rollercon attendees I hungout with at their black and blue party thought their music/dj's sucked and would have hung out at our parties...however their crowd are much better party goers (putting it mildly)

WiK
    a bajillion +1's.
    Their pool party was super awesome. At least that's what my camera tells me, my memory is a bit patchy.

Comment

however their crowd are much better party goers (putting it mildly)

WiK
      What do you mean by "better party goers"?

One of the best things about the DefCon party goers is the fact that I can walk up to just about any of them and talk about/learn something cool and interesting without their eyes glazing over.
      And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWiz View Post
        What do you mean by "better party goers"?

One of the best things about the DefCon party goers is the fact that I can walk up to just about any of them and talk about/learn something cool and interesting without their eyes glazing over.
        Our party goes tend to just stand around, they like to dance, mix, talk, let loose much more then the defcon crowd ( im generalizing here ). These girls are as much nerds/misfits as we are. Not once did I talk to someone and have their eyes glaze over. Their crowd and ours (with our dj's) would mix very well.

Comment

I'll agree with Wik here.

Not that there's anything wrong with the DefCon crowd at all, I had some of the best conversations with the most interesting people at the con.

The RollerCon crowd was just as awesome, and IMO knew how to cut loose a bit more. I think that a combination of the two would be akin to crossing the streams. But without the 'all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.' I think it'd make for a memorable experience for everyone.

Comment

I had a great time this year, my only suggestion is that the wireless village needs to be a little bigger.
            I've got 99 problems, but a Mac ain't one.

Comment

Originally posted by RCon View Post
              I had a great time this year, my only suggestion is that the wireless village needs to be a little bigger.
              This was discussed in our post con meeting and the plan for next year is to make the wireless village bigger. Thanks for the feedback.
              perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

1) No wednesday reg because then security goons would have to volunteer for *another* unpaid day.
                2) Make CTF smaller, make Track 4 bigger
                3) Roving mariachi bands

Kallahar
                --- The fuck? Have you ever BEEN to Defcon?

Comment

The trick with voting might be to leave it completely open, and just ask poltiely to not fuck with it. In the end, the votes are just a guideline as to what should be scheduled where/when, but not an end-all-be-all.

If someone manages to pad a signifigant percentage of votes, in a not-easily removable fashion, then worst case scenario is that the votes get ignored entirely, and you have the same scheduling information as any other year. If all they do is wget-script voting, one can easily remove the blank user-agent votes.

Beyond the enjoyment of mischief, I find it hard to imagine any real profit to be gained from rigging the popularity contest.

On the other hand, a bitcoin-style computational requirement for voting might work too. This enforces the scarcity of voting by tying it to the scarcity of computational power.
                  Of course, the problem would have to be easier than in bitcoin, so individuals could vote, but it would at least limit the number of superfluous votes a joker could submit, and require an actual investment of resources in order to pull off the voting fraud.
                  It's not perfect, but it does a little better at aligning interests.

Originally posted by kallahar View Post
                  3) Roving mariachi bands
                  yes.
                  It's not stupid, it's advanced.

Comment

Rollercon

Originally posted by greatscott View Post
                    THIS. I will try to start a discussion on this for next year's planning.
                    Rollercon 2102 attendee checking in. I'm the guy who had the derby girls present the award at closing ceremonies for our contest: Project 2. I'm also very active in Roller Derby in my area and have made a number of good friends in the Rollercon community.

I like the idea of a joint party, and Defcon is in a much better position to set this up than Rollercon is. I don't like the idea of Defcon nerds crashing Rollercon parties. We are ten times the size they are, for starters. I can pretty much guarantee that even a dozen roller girls at a Defcon party will make things a lot more fun.

Comment

I had an an amazing time at my first DefCon. I met so many awesome people through out.

I think the Lockpicking Villiage could have been in a bigger venue. Having the TOOOL vendor and talks in the area was great, but it seemed to become very crowded very quickly. If it is not possible to find a bigger room, then possibly a different layout of village to allow for more seating.
                      "In the room the women come and go / Talking of Michelangelo."

Comment

A group party with defcon attendees and the rollercon attendees. All of the rollercon attendees I hungout with at their black and blue party thought their music/dj's sucked and would have hung out at our parties...however their crowd are much better party goers (putting it mildly)

WiK
                        Originally posted by zephyr View Post
                        I like the idea of a joint party, and Defcon is in a much better position to set this up than Rollercon is. I don't like the idea of Defcon nerds crashing Rollercon parties. We are ten times the size they are, for starters. I can pretty much guarantee that even a dozen roller girls at a Defcon party will make things a lot more fun.
                        Since the Riv days, DefCon Security Goons would let RollerCon attendees pass through the badge check points to get to the onsite DefCon parties.
                        “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Comment

Re: Rollercon

Originally posted by zephyr View Post
                          Rollercon 2102 attendee checking in. I'm the guy who had the derby girls present the award at closing ceremonies for our contest: Project 2. I'm also very active in Roller Derby in my area and have made a number of good friends in the Rollercon community.

We should trade contact info.
                          | | |

Comment

Re: Rollercon

Originally posted by greatscott View Post
                            We should trade contact info.
                            Okay, TV audience! Something definitely may or may not happen next year, so stay tuned!

Comment

Originally posted by arose4beni View Post
                              I had an an amazing time at my first DefCon. I met so many awesome people through out.

I think the Lockpicking Villiage could have been in a bigger venue. Having the TOOOL vendor and talks in the area was great, but it seemed to become very crowded very quickly. If it is not possible to find a bigger room, then possibly a different layout of village to allow for more seating.
                              Lockpick could always trade with the Wireless Village...they had plenty of extra room...

Comment

Originally posted by panadero View Post
                                Lockpick could always trade with the Wireless Village...they had plenty of extra room...
                                as a member of the wireless village staff this year, lets not nag about this. It has been noted and made it to the people who need to talk about it for next year. I'd rather not have people nag on and on about it and have wireless village canceled completely (which most likely wouldn't happen, but who knows) due to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X