Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RFC: All contests/event/parties previously okayed: Will you be at DC21?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RFC: All contests/event/parties previously okayed: Will you be at DC21?

Hello contests/event/party/social-gathering leaders or organizers with previously okayed contests, events parties,or social gatherings. Do you plan to bring back your contest, event party or social gathering to Defcon 21?

This is not a question to guarantee you space or resources at Defcon 21 for your "thing" and this is NOT permission for you to run you "thing" at Defcon 21. This is so that when the Defcon 21 forums get rolled out LONG before there are "Request For Info" from Pyr0, Nikita, Neil, and Dark Tangent, I can create forums for "things" that people are planning to bring back to Defcon 21.

(New contest/event forums

Just like for Defcon 20, Defcon 19 and Defcon 18, we can make the forums, but you are still responsible for submitting your request to bring your "thing" back to Defcon 21 when the call for information is posted by the goon in charge of the resources you need (DT, Nikita, or Pry0, etc.) , and before their deadlines.

Re-stating this again:

I do not authorize contests or events at Defcon. Getting a forum for Defcon 20, once they are rolled out does not guarantee you a place at Defcon 20.

Next, this offer is ONLY for returning events -- thing authorized for previous Defcons, because if a request is submitted for a returning "thing" is is unlikely they will be turned down for Defcon 20. Any NEW "things" will have to wait until the "RFI" is officially published and I get an answer from the goon in charge of the area that controls the Defcon resources in question.

This offer is provided to help people planing, leading or organizing a "thing" at Defcon to have a place to do this, and plan early, and engage members with new ideas.

When will the Defcon 21 forums roll out? November 2012.

Re: RFC: All contests/event/parties previously okayed: Will you be at DC21?

Reading a tweet from @DefConScavHunt provided me a reminder to check the old DC20 contest/event forums and find this forum post from @thesalem (twitter) in reply to the public announcement of the Hand-Off of the Defcon Scavenger Hunt from the previous crew to a new one.

This post is a reminder to myself that the new crew's intentions were announced just after last Defcon 20. Salem, feel free to announce your intention here again. More notices are better than zero notices.

Thanks!
    -Cot

Comment

The Scavenger Hunt will be back!
      Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

Originally posted by Salem View Post
        The Scavenger Hunt will be back!
        Thanks man!

I read on twitter you will be using the same twitter account. What about URL for web content? Will you have any? Will they be different? What URL should be part of the forum description? Did you want to change the forum description?

In another comment, I found a post from Abstrct (or from twitter: @Schemaverse or @Abstr_ct) saying he has plans to bring back The Schemaverse ( http://schemaverse.com/ ) to Defcon 21.

Abstr_ct: feel free to also reply here with confirmation if you want. I'm using this thread as a central, public list of contests, events and social gatherings with previous mentions as returning. Being mentioned in this thread more than once is not a problem.

This is a reminder to me to add a forum for The Schemaverse when DC21 contest/event forums are rolled out. If you want a revised forum description for next year, or have more URL for your contest, please let me know and I can include links to those as well.

Also, thanks for the suggested reading over twitter for books on high performance postgres 9.x, optimization and testing; it is a book like early O'Reilly and Associate books with many tools referenced and described, benchmark indicators, educating readers on available tools, author's experience in which knobs are initially most effective, and which tests matter depending on underlying OS and hardware/volume and physical disks.
        (I do not work for amazon, I am noth this author, as far as I know, I don't know this author, and don't work for the publisher; I gain nothing by citing this book with a link and am not advertising it, so this is not spam: PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance.) Though it is "9.0" the tools, tips and suggestions for benchmarking performance helped me with versions later than 9.0.

Good luck!
        Last edited by TheCotMan; November 4, 2012, 01:38.

Comment

I found this post where Triskt mentions:
          Originally posted by Triskt
          It's only going to be better next year :)
          This is a reminder to make a forum for "Network Forensics Puzzle Contest" and copy the forum description for it forward.

twitter: https://twitter.com/trisk3t
          site: http://forensicscontest.com/

Triskt: feel free to reply here too; having more than one reminder about creating these forums for these contests and events is not a problem.

Good luck!

Comment

This is a reminder for "Spot the Fed" which is always a go.

Add forum for Spot the Fed for DC21.

Comment

Scav hunt stuffs:

Twitter: @defconscavhunt
              facebooks: https://www.facebook.com/defconscavhunt

The existing description is good.

Thanks Cot!
              Of course its fully cooked... we had it set on "linen".

Comment

DEFCON Shoot - i'll surely bring this back and i'm so pleased at how it's shaping up

Lockpick Village - no end in sight for TOOOL's efforts to have all sorts of fun in our room, and we have loads of mini-games and contests with prizes that take place in there but don't get enumerated on the forums.

Black Bag - had a great time with this last time, and the way i want to run it at DEFCON 21 will be utterly wild, if we can pull it off.

Goon Band - i'll let Roamer weigh in officially, but i wanted to put the word out that as far as i know, the group has no intention of going away so quietly... we'll likely be back again, and hopefully Jason Scott will release the video of us that he's been editing so that people can see what they missed out on at DC XX.

Beer Cooling (BCCC) - i don't run this anymore, so we'll let Uncle Enzo comment. i understand that he and his crew enjoyed it and i hope it returns. i also hope desperately that it moves back to it's historical spot on the schedule of Friday at noon, as opposed to Saturday.

Gringo Warrior - still retired and not coming back, Black Bag contest still running in its place
                "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Asked Py0 when he will begin the RFI (Request For Information) for contests, events and social gatherings under his control, and he said it will start/open April 1, 2013 and close June 1, 2013.

Comment

RE: Goon Band--

Yeah, we'll be back. I am not sure if we need a forum space though since we didn't really use it much last year. Can't hurt to create it, but if we don't use it more this year, I wouldn't pull it forward after that.
                    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      RE: Goon Band--

Yeah, we'll be back. I am not sure if we need a forum space though since we didn't really use it much last year. Can't hurt to create it, but if we don't use it more this year, I wouldn't pull it forward after that.
                      I create a space for, "Spot the Fed," which has has several years of "zero posts" and keep it there...

The value in having forums for each event even if there is no discussion is providing a link from the main defcon site where every contests/event is a link to a forum in case people have comments or questions. (And if they have a question or comment, there is a container for it, not just a generic forum where a thread could get lost.)

If the band does not mind, I'd really prefer to keep a forum for this, even if nobody ever posts to it. (it is not a vanity thing, as nobody from the band really asked for it; it is a functional thing. If it is a vanity thing, it is for my own vanity and sense of organization.)

If you or any other members feel strongly about there not being a forum, I'll concede this, though.
                      Last edited by TheCotMan; November 5, 2012, 14:24.

Comment

The Schemaverse Tournament will be returning again for all the AI and DB geeks!

You can (and should!) practice in the off-season at: http://schemaverse.com
                        If you are completely new to the game, there is a tutorial at http://schemaverse.com/tutorial/tutorial.php

If you are on any of that social networking jazz, the Schemaverse twitter feed is @schemaverse and we seem to exist on facebook too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                          I am not sure if we need a forum space
                          Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                          If the band does not mind, I'd really prefer to keep a forum for this, even if nobody ever posts to it.
                          we will need the forum space for all of our adoring fans to post to it saying how awesome we sounded and sharing links to photos and the like.

and, you know, for other con organizers to book us for our ever-growing tour season.
                          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Thanks everyone with explicit replies.

Everyone that has replied about their event and events I've explicitly mentioned as getting forums as shown above this post are in my spreadsheet of forums to add at the middle of this month.

I will be sending this to Pyr0.

Re-stating: Pyr0 (on twitter) said he will be asking for his RFI for contests / events on April 1, 2013. I am planning to email everyone that has indicated their desire to return to DC21 with their event around April 1, or when I see the RFI posted by Pyr0.

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam View Post
                            we will need the forum space for all of our adoring fans to post to it saying how awesome we sounded and sharing links to photos and the like.

and, you know, for other con organizers to book us for our ever-growing tour season.
                            Yes. This.

Also, the forum acts as an overflow for when there is too much dark energy at the concert. Without such an overflow, the band's playing would bring forth the end of the world as we know it, ushering in a new dawn of darkness, and extraordinary abundance of Chaos, with the Goon Band as our new overlords and masters. Also, there is something I can't quite make out when reading these tea leaves... something about the status of "shitbirds" whatever that is .... the future is hard to read.

You see... Dark energy appears like an empty forum; you can't see the dark energy, but it can still be there anyway.

Thanks everyone. I'll continue to grow the list as more people post replies.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan View Post
                              I create a space for, "Spot the Fed," which has has several years of "zero posts" and keep it there...

The value in having forums for each event even if there is no discussion is providing a link from the main defcon site where every contests/event is a link to a forum in case people have comments or questions. (And if they have a question or comment, there is a container for it, not just a generic forum where a thread could get lost.)

If the band does not mind, I'd really prefer to keep a forum for this, even if nobody ever posts to it. (it is not a vanity thing, as nobody from the band really asked for it; it is a functional thing. If it is a vanity thing, it is for my own vanity and sense of organization.)

If you or any other members feel strongly about there not being a forum, I'll concede this, though.
                              I have no issue with this and can't imagine any of the other guys do either.
                              perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Working...
                              X