Call for Talks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call for Talks

If you would like to make a presentation in the HHV then please resond to this thread or PM me. Your talk can be about your latest project, basic electronics, soldering, just about anything. Last year we had some great topics and I want to keep that going.

Re: Call for Talks

Last year I gave a talk on I2C and SPI. I'd be happy to repeat that talk, or give another talk on something else. Anyone have any suggestions for topics? I'd like to target some entry level embedded design. A few ideas I had:

-Intro to USB
    -uC Debate - Which micro is right for me?
    -Basic circuits - LEDs, Buttons, FETs, etc.
    -Low speed Serial Communications (I2C, SPI, UART)

Maybe we could also get some kind of Hardware/Embedded Design Panel together? Q&A type thing?

Comment

I'd love to give a talk on the audio projects I've been working on. Not strictly Hacker-y, but definitely Hardware. We're talking ANALOG here, ladies and gentlemen.. You know, those systems that AREN'T just ones and zeros? I know, CRAZY talk... ;-)

Comment

One thing about talks: IIRC, last year we didn't really announce what talk was going to be when any wider than just writing up on a white board or similar. Is there a way we can schedule the talks soon enough to get into the program, kinda like SkyTalks do? That way, people will know about them and are more likely to show up.

Comment

Originally posted by SmittyHalibut View Post
          One thing about talks: IIRC, last year we didn't really announce what talk was going to be when any wider than just writing up on a white board or similar. Is there a way we can schedule the talks soon enough to get into the program, kinda like SkyTalks do? That way, people will know about them and are more likely to show up.
          Good point. Not sure who to contact about the HHV writeup? Any ideas anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by bombnav View Post
            Good point. Not sure who to contact about the HHV writeup? Any ideas anyone?
            Talk to Neil Kronenberg (you know, Mr. Niki7a? ;-) about getting into the program.

Comment

Originally posted by c0re1287 View Post
              Last year I gave a talk on I2C and SPI. I'd be happy to repeat that talk, or give another talk on something else. Anyone have any suggestions for topics? I'd like to target some entry level embedded design. A few ideas I had:

-Intro to USB
              -uC Debate - Which micro is right for me?
              -Basic circuits - LEDs, Buttons, FETs, etc.
              -Low speed Serial Communications (I2C, SPI, UART)

Maybe we could also get some kind of Hardware/Embedded Design Panel together? Q&A type thing?
              Embedded design panel on the uC debate. That could be educational and entertaining. I'll supply plenty of examples of "why TF do you need an OS to blink some lights?" Raspberry Pi silliness. I could definitely play the "well back in my day we had to erase chips with UV light!" old codger in that debate.

And Smitty -- analog audio is the shizzle. Anyone who wants to understand where sound meets electrons has got to play with an analog synthesizer. It's a sound lab in a box. I've done a couple of talks on making sound with electronics, and it always goes over well. If you are interested in a collaborator or would like some of the material I use let me know. It's always fun to show the math and hardware techniques behind "that" sound in "that" song.
              TSA luvs my Uzi.

"We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time." -T.S. Eliot

Comment

Originally posted by FirmWarez View Post
                Embedded design panel on the uC debate. That could be educational and entertaining. I'll supply plenty of examples of "why TF do you need an OS to blink some lights?" Raspberry Pi silliness. I could definitely play the "well back in my day we had to erase chips with UV light!" old codger in that debate.
                I'm not sure I've got the cred to be on that panel, but I've done my share of uC work, mostly Atmel and Arduino but some Propellor and BASIC Stamp too. I'd love to be on that panel.

At what point does a HHV talk qualify as a full DefCon talk? I think a uC panel could qualify. Would anyone else be interested in submitting a CFP with me?

And Smitty -- analog audio is the shizzle. Anyone who wants to understand where sound meets electrons has got to play with an analog synthesizer. It's a sound lab in a box. I've done a couple of talks on making sound with electronics, and it always goes over well. If you are interested in a collaborator or would like some of the material I use let me know. It's always fun to show the math and hardware techniques behind "that" sound in "that" song.
                My current project (a headphone amp) is concentrating on the accurate reproduction of audio, not the generation or modification of it, but I've spent some time playing with CuBase, Reason, and ReBirth. THAT is a lot of fun. I need a better control surface than my mouse and keyboard to really get good, but I can see the potential there.

I'd love to do a talk on electronics in audio: amps, synth, effects, mics, speakers, cross overs, instruments, etc. I'm interested in all of it.

Comment

Originally posted by FirmWarez View Post

Sounds good to me. I figure if we can get 4-5 people that are at least semi-credible, we could have a decent panel.

Comment

Originally posted by c0re1287 View Post
                    Sounds good to me. I figure if we can get 4-5 people that are at least semi-credible, we could have a decent panel.
                    I've got an email thread started with some folks. Sorry, I should have posted here about it. Should we move the discussion here? I was worried that the folks I wanted to talk with weren't checking the forums yet.

Comment

I'll second getting the HHV talks into the program. I followed the HHV twitter feed as well last year and that was very helpful. I think that and similar outlets are good things to keep going this year.

I remember c0re1287's I2C SPI talk it was very helpful and informative. I'd be very interested in a low level USB presentation.

4a.

Comment

Originally posted by 4a52 View Post
                        I'll second getting the HHV talks into the program. I followed the HHV twitter feed as well last year and that was very helpful. I think that and similar outlets are good things to keep going this year.

I remember c0re1287's I2C SPI talk it was very helpful and informative. I'd be very interested in a low level USB presentation.

4a.
                        Sure, I could do something on USB, similar to what I did with I2C and SPI last year.

What other talks are people thinking of doing?

Comment

I talked last year on plans I had for an Audiophile project. I've made some good progress on that project and would love to give an update, and possibly even bring prototypes (or finished kits) to demo.

Comment

It took me forfuckingever, but I finally found all of the pictures I was looking for. Ill get together a simple talk on why the front door is not always the best approach. It will only suck a little bit, I promise.

Comment

If its not too late I'd like to repeat my talk on basic soldering, possibly twice. That seemed to be more popular last year than the talk on basic electrical theory, and people who came in late/missed it did ask if I would repeat the talk.

Agree 100% on better scheduling/announcement of the talks. Don't be afraid to pull in people like Smitty and myself to help you get things organized/set up if you need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X