X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacker-Movie Review: Code Hunter

Code Hunter

Nick cornish, Vanessa Marcil, Bail Ling, Tone-Loc, Coolio, Adrian Paul

A giant storm controlled by satellites threatens to destroy both American coasts. The only one who can stop it is the renegade hacker known as the Jester. A virtual reality game gone haywire forces him into the deadliest, and most real game of his life.

MPAA Rating: Rated R for some language and violence

2002 100 min Color

I went to the local blockbuster to check out this "hacker" movie and see what it had to offer.

It was a mixture of "WarGames", "The Matrix", "The Hacker and the Ants", and "Nightmare on Elm Street"... with a second's worth of "Highlander".

The main character Jester is portrayed as quite and achieved and elite hacker, with plenty of rack mount systems in his studio apartment, of course his VR goggles, and his mad typing skills... there were plenty of DOS screens with garbage scrolling throughout... not html, not 1's and 0's, not BASIC... just pure non-printable characters!.. a lot of the times they would float back to a windows 95 screen with big GUI's that would say "LOGGING ON", to let the audience know they were logging on... etc. Of course Jester's domicile had everything voice activated including his bank account statements. Everything also appeared to go through some type of fast dialup system and maintain a more than real VR integrity.
    Of course the movie begins with what is supposed to be a VR sequence of a game called "Shock", though the screens keep showing "AfterShock", and is supposed to be a spin-off of the game EverCrack, though I am sure to any type of legal crap they engineered anything to be somewhat the same but different enough. One of the cheesiest scenes I recall seeing were when all the "hackers" were lined up and all simultaneously opened an Energy drink to get that popeye power we all use!!... Of course Adrian Paul got about a two second shot wielding his sword, I could have sworn he was going to say "There can be only one"..
    There were a few scenes put in to make a hacker look like a fool... one scene the main developer for "Thunderhead" (their version of the WOPR) says to Jester in confrontation "I used to be a hacker, until I got a life..."... and little hits like these were riddled throughout the movie... that is until towards the end where now all of a sudden everyone is bowing down the David Lightman, errr, I mean Jester (they even appear to have the same haircut)... Anyway it is worth watching if you enjoy hollywood-hacker-movies. I think I may add this to my collection of things to watch.

The movie isn't that bad if you don't think about things, but because of it being 2002, and all the other movies out there it went straight to video. Oh well.

... any other opinions?

i saw it at the local video rental store..........and said to myself after reading the back cover..........."a new hackers"....but with the current movies like "operation:takedown", i decided i didnt wanna have to sit thru another movie that distorts people into thinking hackers are evil. I wonder if hollywood will every make a movie tru to the culture and tools that are really around......hackers wasnt even close.....full 3d graphics at that point it time couldnt of been possible...and the lighting passing over the sever was kool.......i want one. operations takedown got a bit closer......but still made hackers out to be evil.........i have confermation that hackers do hang out in strip clubs:D...and it did show the use of a red box, and some real technology of the time. the really bad thing is that the hacker movies make people wanna be hackers..........i have seen maybe 40 people on yahoo's "hackers lounge" with the screen names "acidburn" "crashoveride" and "zerokool".........all of them asking "can you teach me to hack"........gets anoning after awhile......i try to answer the sensible questions but most of them just dont wanna try to find the info be themselves. that is my 2 "sense"
    ~:CK:~
    I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

i agree with ck3k. the worst part of any hacker movie is the wake of hacker posers that each movie leaves behind. i'm sure we are all tired of that phrase, "can you teach me to hack?". these movies just make us look like something we're not.
      i dont even give a crap if it makes us look bad. hackers are like anyone else. some good, some evil, and alot preeching good so they can be subversive.

its all about the respect.
      when media makes us look evil, it's disrespectfull.
      when some kid says he wants to be a hacker, but just wants to look cool, its disrespectfull.
      when someone says they're a hacker and they're not, it's disrespectfull.

we are both less powerfull and more powerfull than we know. i think the public will see this long before we do.

besides, we should make a movie of our own so we know it's done right.
      the midgets will represent the unfulfilled potential of hackers. the pirate outfits and pirate ship will symbolize societys view of hackers. and bridget can play the phisical manifestation of the beauty of half truths.....
      the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Time for the spoof movie. Someone needs to roll together The Matrix, Lawnmower Man, Tron, and Sneakers.

Anyone remember the TV series in the late 70s or early 80s wityh high school kids who used their home computer to save the world?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
          Time for the spoof movie. Someone needs to roll together The Matrix, Lawnmower Man, Tron, and Sneakers.
          i had forgotten about sneakers! sneakers kicked ass!
          the fresh prince of 1337

Comment

A spoof would be so funny..........perhaps subtitles in binary would work............:D
            ~:CK:~
            I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

just saw it today.
              not many academy award© winning performances but it was still pretty good.

(pretty good = they said "hacker" with out making me cringe)

i actually bought it cuz it was on sale at ballbuster and was cheap enough to just buy used. ($9.99 used)
              the fresh prince of 1337

Comment

Originally posted by KeLviN
                i actually bought it cuz it was on sale at ballbuster and was cheap enough to just buy used. ($9.99 used)
                I'll have to stop by and check out if any of the local ones have it... I have been fiending for more movies...

Comment

i just got 10 more movies. i get um when BB brings the tapes used down to 3.99. code hunter and residentevil were the first 2 dvd's ive ever baught.
                  the fresh prince of 1337

Comment

I saw hackers the movie. It is all EXTREMLY visual. It has little text. I hope somone makes a movie that makes us look good

Comment

Originally posted by jetforce4004
                      I saw hackers the movie. It is all EXTREMLY visual. It has little text. I hope somone makes a movie that makes us look good
                      If hollywood ever did, it would explode... *boom*

Comment

Originally posted by jetforce4004
                        I hope somone makes a movie that makes us look good
                        "us"? what is this us business? I am not a hacker, I am a scenewhore. Someone teach me to hack, I will give you oh-day co-dez.

** WinNukes Blackwave **

Take That!!
                        .: Grifter :.

Comment

i like hackers, not for it's accuracy value, but because all the idiots i surround myself with in this world think i'm hella-cool cuz they've seen the movie and think it's all true.
                          the fresh prince of 1337

Comment

Originally posted by KeLviN
                            i like hackers, not for it's accuracy value, but because all the idiots i surround myself with in this world think i'm hella-cool cuz they've seen the movie and think it's all true.
                            AH HA!! KeLviN reveals his secret for pimping the ho's!

Comment

I love the movie Hackers for the simple fact (and absolutely no other) that it's about computers, there are so very few movies almost strictly about computers and computer geeks that I can relate to this movie in that sense. Sure there's Wargames, and Sneakers, but Hackers presents that teenage into computers feel, that's almost the way I feel I'm portrayed, always up late on the computer, doing things other people find 'fascinating' or 'unbelievable' when in all reality I'm simply trying to further my own knowledge without giving much heed to it. In this respect, Hackers gets two thumbs up, and a BIG two thumbs down for what hackers really do.
                              "I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." (Stephen Roberts)

Comment

Working...
                              X