DEF CON 11 PRinted Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DEF CON 11 PRinted Program

In the interests of making everyone happy, we would like to know what you would like to see, not see, add, take out, change, size differently, make glow or burn, etc in the DEF CON 11 printed program - you know, the one you get when you register.
    blackbeetle

actually, something I noticed from last year. Somewhere in the program it would be cool to give credit for the art that gets used. Last year there was a ton of cool artwork in the flyer from Dead Dreamer . He/She does some bad ass artwork and its all available as wallpaper on the site. It would be cool to give credit for the work and a link to the site so those impressed with it (like me) can go download it.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

I thought both of the essay pieces by ming and the piece from Richard Theime from last year's program were really cool. I would love to see more stuff like that in this year's.

If that doesn't work you could always do a two or three page expose on the life and times of me. I can't think of anything that people would rather read than a bunch of stuff about me.;)
      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Actually, we did get formal permission from Dead Dreamer to reproduce his artwork and he only asked for copyright on the first page his artwork appeared (on the thank you from DT). But you are correct that we should give bigger billing to submitting artists.

If anyone comes across any artists that may fit in with our program style, let me know and we can get formal permission to reproduce stuff. Good billing for them and nice stuff for our program.
        blackbeetle

Comment

I'm sure you got premission, DT wouldnt do it any other way. I just noticed I never saw a 'thanks to Dead Dreamer' or for more artwork like this check out 'www.deaddreamer.org'..and several folks asked me about who did the art..

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

What I want to see:

Actually I want it bigger! I want it like a program from a concert. 40 pages or more. Maybe make a calendar out of it so we hang it up at home and have facts on every page. Make it thick. I'd even pay more for it. The programs rock and deserve to be promoted for the high quality item that they are!

Maybe we can get Subway to put a coupon in it. Just as an insert. I will NOT cut my programs!

How about a "Meet the Goons" page? Everyone knows Priest and Noid, but the others deserve credit as well.

Is there a FAQ page?! What time is checkout? What is the number for pizza delivery? Where is the closest STD clinic? What time does Subway close? What is a fair price for a taxi ride? Why is my name and password on a paper plate on the wall?

If you have an exra page or two, draw lines on it for notes.

What I don't want to see:

Tiny print. Typographical errors. Great information with no web site listed to follow up with later.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
              I want it like a program from a concert. 40 pages or more.
              What kind of concert might this be?

As for the program, I think it would be cool to have the dctv program in there, movie channel and all... (not just the channels to find things on)
              if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

We can do a meet the forum members page...

What about page format and size? Small and thick like the TVGuide? Big and tall like W magazine? Square? Round? People in the past have asked for "pocket size"...

And what about color? 4 color all the way or make it more basic with 1 color or 2 color?

And paper- do you care if it is newsprint or do you like high end glossy? I know we are all fans of shiny and slick looking but maybe we want a different look and feel this year?
                blackbeetle

Comment

I'd like to see every page at least 60lb paper and a 100lb cover, full cover, full bleed, the size of LIFE magazine, maybe a poster in the middle to fold out.

Comment

I'd like to see every page at least 60lb paper and a 100lb cover, full cover, full bleed, the size of LIFE magazine, maybe a poster in the middle to fold out.
                    and we could have a defcon cover girl/guy:D

--simple33

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                      I thought both of the essay pieces by ming and the piece from Richard Theime from last year's program were really cool. I would love to see more stuff like that in this year's.
                      I agree, Richard Thieme is an unbelievable speaker and an excellent writer, I enjoyed his piece in the program immensely.

How about a "Meet the Goons" page? Everyone knows Priest and Noid, but the others deserve credit as well.

Is there a FAQ page?! What time is checkout? What is the number for pizza delivery? Where is the closest STD clinic? What time does Subway close? What is a fair price for a taxi ride? Why is my name and password on a paper plate on the wall?
                      A meet the Goons page would be kool. There are a lot of people that help make the con great, it'd be nice to get to know some of them better. I think Chris suggested this though. Three Pages about him. I can see it now...Page 1: Chris flipping you off with his left hand; Page 2: Chris flipping you off with his right hand; Page 3: Chris flipping you off with both hands and smoking.

As for a FAQ. I was/am working on one. Other projects keeping me busy right now. Although this wasn't for the program, this was so we had somewhere to direct people to before they post on the forums.

Originally posted by c0nv3r9
                      As for the program, I think it would be cool to have the dctv program in there, movie channel and all... (not just the channels to find things on)
                      A Movie Channel TV Guide is already done. It will be tweaked between now and the con to add or remove movies as we figure out how best to plan the schedule. To my knowledge it will be in the program.

Originally posted by blackbeetle
                      What about page format and size? Small and thick like the TVGuide? Big and tall like W magazine? Square? Round? People in the past have asked for "pocket size"...

And what about color? 4 color all the way or make it more basic with 1 color or 2 color?

And paper- do you care if it is newsprint or do you like high end glossy? I know we are all fans of shiny and slick looking but maybe we want a different look and feel this year?
                      I think the program for DCX was a good size and good quality. Much better than the DC9 Program A.K.A. Gigantor. I wouldn't want to see it any larger than a standard magazine and even that could be pushing it.

As far as pocket size, ApacheCon had these very kool "At a Glance" schedules. I totally dug those. We were thinking about making some for the movie channel tv guide. I need to get ahold of Charel or Tina to find out where they had them made and the cost. If you find out before I get around to it, let me know.

And yes to 4 color and glossy/slick. It just looks really nice and makes for a good collectors item.

Originally posted by simple3
                      and we could have a defcon cover girl/guy :D
                      I'll wear my DoC thong. Wait! No! I mean... Damnit!!!

Actually, this isn't a bad idea. I vote for my wife, because well, I think she's hot.
                      .: Grifter :.

Comment

Never saw the Apache CAG sheets- send us a pdf or sample so we know what you are referring to?

I know the printer for those were local in Las Vegas though I can't tell you who designed them.
                        blackbeetle

Comment

Originally posted by blackbeetle
                          Never saw the Apache CAG sheets- send us a pdf or sample so we know what you are referring to?

I know the printer for those were local in Las Vegas though I can't tell you who designed them.
                          Don't have a PDF. I have one sitting here though. It's just a little trifold schedule. About 4 inches long and 3.5 wide when folded, 12 inches long by 3.5 when unfolded.

Has info like...
                          Code:
                                                     Apachecon U.S. 2002
                                                    Conference-at-a-Glance

A1 = Apollo                  P3 = Parthenon 3
                                       A2 = Athena                  P4 = Parthenon 4

Tuesday, 19 November 2002
                                          -------------------------------------

Room        Time         Session          Title
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          P3-4        09:00-09:30                   Opening Plenary: Ken Coar
                          P3-4        09:30-10:15                   Keynote: Tim O'Reilly
                          P3          10:30-12:00  TU01             Apache Projects Over.
                          A1          10:30-12:00  TU02             Managing Content
                          A2          10:30-12:00  TU03             Apache 2.0 Filters
                          P4          10:30-12:00  TU04             Apache Security Secrets
                          P3          13:30-14:30  TU05             Happy Trails: Migrating
                          A2          13:30-14:30  TU06             Developing Comm. Prods.
                          P4          13:30-14:30  TU07             What's New in Struts 1.1
                          A1          13:30-14:30  TU08             XML and I18N
                          and on and on and on...

It was nice to have. The session ID was printed next to the explanation in the program so you could match them up to find out more about a specific talk.

But the main thing is, you always knew where the talks were held and didn't have to ask when or where they began. You could read your program in the morning and plan what you wanted to see that day, leave the program in your hotel room and take the At a Glance guide. This way your program stays nice and you don't have to carry it with you. Just a thought.
                          .: Grifter :.

Comment

hmmm, yes.... would be nice if we were that organized. Maybe we can get it into the center of the program so it can be torn out without ruining the book.

I am all for getting some sort of huge reader board to handle the schedules for live updates, etc but since the AP has such crappy AV no hope there!

More suggestions please!
                            blackbeetle

Comment

durable, pocket-sized, using tabs based on the days would be swell, or just a handy card that you can add with the badges. i prefer structured information rather than raver looking abstract. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X