DEF CON 11 PRinted Program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackbeetle
    Wew could do large and small but at the cost of, likely the badges.
    I think a normal program is fine, but having a one page pocket-sized informational is what most would prefer.
    I really don't think people want a smaller lite version of the big version... that would just be odd and wasteful to the nth degree.
    The pocket sized-one-page thing could be a white piece of paper with a sized 6 font full of information on a grid, mini map, etc.

So if you are all willing to give up any type of "cool" badge
    The badge is the ultimate collectors item, best not to get chinchy on this. :) (though i can pass on something that burst and juice drips out... )

And what kind of poster could you possibly want in the program?
    Simple, all the questions and answers to hacker jeopardy past and present... in rot(13)

Comment

Have a cool badge, raise the price to $100. Use Grifter's wife for the pinup. ;)

Comment

Grifter's wife as a pinup?
        WooHoo!!
        .: Grifter :.

Comment

keep the cool badges and glossy program, make the mini schedules available as a pdf if cost is a problem

Comment

previously the DOC had done up the schedule in PalmOS format. Maybe we should put up a Defcon Information Booth (possibly where Evil's at with the merchendise) and have palm/visor cradles so folks can synch up and get the schedule and have it in .pdf format for folks with pocketPCs. As far as the programs go, I like last years size. At DC9 it was like trying to carry around a copy of the wall street journal. The DCX programs rolled up nicely and went into my pocket. I liked the size and ammount of content in it as well. As far as the program goes, I think Richard Thieme should be a permament addition to the program. He always has an interesting outlook on things.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by blackbeetle Wew could do large and small but at the cost of, likely the badges. So if you are all willing to give up any type of "cool" badge, then I am sure DT can be convinced to shift the monies over to dual programs.
              Definately need the cool badges... somehow astcell sneaked his post in front of mine. I too don't think a mini-sized copy of the full thing is worthwhile.. I'm thinking a 1 card, front/back, laminated quick card.. badge-sized to hang alongside.

Originally posted by blackwave Simple, all the questions and answers to hacker jeopardy past and present... in rot(13)
              hmmm... and I thought you would have gone for the attending-fed roster
              if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

ok, how about this. The schedule on one side of this year's badge. it would be like the best of both worlds. hmm, the print might end up being to small, but think about otherways to combine the two. possibly using some sort of decoder ring.

--simple3

Comment

I agree with ditching the dual program idea... especially at the cost of the nifty badges. While the DC9 badges were a little TOO nifty (ours are now all sticky and yellowed... I guess that material doesn't like heat and humidity), the badges are our best keepsake, above any shirts, shotglasses, etc. Something spiffy and durable is most desireable, please!

As for the problem of something to carry around, I still like the idea of a pull-out section in the program. Perhaps a perforated foldable schedule printed on a heavier cardstock page in the middle that could be easily removed from the program without making the whole thing fall apart? I also dig the Palm sync station idea, as something supplementary, for the supah-pimpin-leet folks (read: not me) who can afford such nifty gadgets.
                  the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

** Plans to Download all Data from Everyone that Syncs their Palms/IPaqs **

Docs for Days!!!
                    .: Grifter :.

Comment

bleh to downloading, analog is better for brevity, portability, and readability

Comment

The additional funds for a simple CAG doesn't have to come from the badge budget - It could come from some other fund. What about no bags (sling or otherwise) for sale this year? Or no baseball hats? One less Tshirt design?
                        blackbeetle

Comment

The additional funds for a simple CAG doesn't have to come from the badge budget - It could come from some other fund. What about no bags (sling or otherwise) for sale this year? Or no baseball hats? One less Tshirt design?
                          ack last year I only got to get one sling defcon bag... it would be a crime not to have those for sale this year... (though regarding these bags, it would be great to have a dual laptop model, or something with puffy pouches for cables and adapters and etc.)

I never wear hats :) <hint>

Comment

ideas...

I like the idea of a shcedule/map printed in a 3X5 type card laminated and a whole punched, so you can stick it on your badge necklace. I know last year I also had many probelms finding talks. I did like the programs size, but I did not like the way it foled out. It was kind of annoying.

I DID like all the info and things to read in the program. Last year I had to wait 8 hours in the lobby because my friends car broke down while he was driving, and he had the room under his name, etc. So I read everything in the book, at least twice, and looked at everything, etc. So if that happens to anyone else, or even me a second time, then it definatly helped to have things to read while I waited.

For the little card, I think one side should have all the times of the talks, names of the talks, and the rooms they are in. Then on the other side split it in half, on the top half, a map, and the bottom, like important numbers to have, or something of that sort.

For the program, yes some sort of pullout would be badass. Either Grifter's wife (in which I think everyone inlcuding me had the pleasure of meeting, way to go grifter...hahah) or something humerous, something that everyone could enjoy.

I think maybe some more articles to read would be nice. Or the same amount as last year. And the artwork was badass. Maybe like a littly Defcon Tv guide sort of thing (in which I think Grifter said they are putting in).

Maybe like "what are the goons listening too" or "what are people listening too these days?" as far as music. And you can do a forum thing, where people in the forum answer, and you take artists from each person, and insert them in there. Just in case there might be people looking for some good music, and want to try some new music.

I had some other ideas but I cant think of them right now..
                            "DJ JACKALOPE IS MY HERO"

Comment

defcon communcations

after reading neural's posts ( http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1456 ) regarding defcon communications (via ham, frs, etc) It would be cool to have some type of information in the program, like a list of the repeater frequencies, the FRS frequencies and channels, the police scanner frequencies, etc... that would certainly rule :) all of it could fit on one page of 'all that is radio' :)

Comment

Re: defcon communcations

Originally posted by blackwave
                                after reading neural's posts ( [url]
                                It would be cool to have some type of information in the program, like a list of the repeater frequencies, the FRS frequencies and channels, the police scanner frequencies, etc... that would certainly rule :) all of it could fit on one page of 'all that is radio' :)
                                I'd really recommend that repeater frequencies *not* be listed in the program, and that any listed are open for unlicensed use. Think CYA: if they're in the program, it looks like their use is being condoned, and that could be inviting the legal attention of the FCC. If someone digs them up off the web, that's that particular person's problem.

Comment

Working...
                                X