No announcement yet.

DEF CON 24 Floorplan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May not be possible but it would be neat if there were some clear cut "outdoor area" like if the doors across from Napoleon's could be open. I think that's one thing that did reduce crowding pressures in years before 23. It sounds like something the hotel might not go for, but I figured I'd plug the idea again.

Comment

Thanks Sainate (I hope I tagged you right in this message). My Tandy Colour Computer3 was my first baby! Anyway Nikita, the plan is pretty solid... I have another thought here and I don't know if this is possible because the line would be in the "Shops area" and I don't know the specifics on the contract with the convention centre... But I believe there is a door to the DC101 and SWAG area along where the red coloured line is. If the lines for those could be kept in a single file in the shops area, this would remove a GOOD chunk of people in the track areas. Please know that I am not trying to be critical in any way here, perhaps a little self serving :P as I get claustrophobic and very panicky and uneasy in large crowds. I was involved in Crowd lock last year I will admit to having some level of anxiety and I would like to help in ANY way I can to prevent that from happening again :P

The lay out is good for the space provided.

I am curious though... Is it a cost thing that keeps DefCON away from the Las Vegas Convention Centre? I am not sure if you are contracted at Bally's / Paris for a number of years or not... but having attended a plethora of shows there and even working at a few... the layout there is designed for massive crowd flows and they have decent ballrooms there as well.

Thanks for all your work!!! It is very much appreciated! I know DefCON cannot be compared to a "trade show" but in some aspects its very much alike. I know the trade show industry if you want to bounce any ideas off me, feel free to ask, I am also well connected in the industry and can even bounce the ideas off others. I would love to help any way I can.

Cheers!!!
      //GeekSedition

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
      TRS80's, BBS'es, 1200 Baud, Token Ring, UniSys Icon QNX, and most importantly... ANSII Snipes! These things made me the geek I am today.

Comment

As if defcon isn't spread out enough, let's move to lvcc....

The talks are recorded and published online within a couple months of con; go participate in a contest, learn something in a village, or hang out in the chill out room.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikita View Post

Nope, sorry :( It's not possible to move that chillout lounge because of hotel logistics. We did put in a small cafe on the paris side exactly so you can get a quick snack and drink.

In order to resolve some of the congestion issues last year I believe we moved DC101 over to the Bally's side after the initial incident. That, in addition to extra vigilance by the Goons, seemed to resolve the issue. Is it possible to switch the locations of DC101 and the Vendors? I don't recall any issues after that was done...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Looks great! One minor note to pass along how about a little more signage than last year, and/or offering a black text /white paper option for the DC times.

Comment

Originally posted by dc0de View Post
              Nikita,

As one of the Goons that was trapped in the hallway on Friday of DC23, I would strongly urge someone in leadership understand that dumping those two tracks, and having registration open, all in the same areas that existed last year, you are going to cause another crowd-lock and crush.

Hopefully, it won't happen, and hopefully if it does happen, no one is injured.
              As this will be my first DC, I Hoping to be be able to get registered without injury, but I understand how crowded things can get though.

Comment

5L3UTH DC23 was my first Defcon and I had similar fears. We arrived the night before registration began with the intention of getting downstairs early to get in line. When we got there, there were already folks lining up (this was around 8:30pm ish local time) in the hallway. I considered sleeping in the line (I had no idea of what to expect) but decided against it, I wanted as much sleep pre-con as I could get. We got downstairs the morning that the registration started and there was a sizeable line but, as soon as I got in line I started talking to others in line (many who had been to several cons previously and were eager to chat about those experiences and what they hoped to get out of the current con). Ultimately, I think that we were in line for two hours ish but it literally FLEW by and I enjoyed the folks that I met in line as much as any other part of the con. The goons did an awesome job at keeping movement in the lines and keeping things organized. After DC101 there was a bit of a traffic jam but things seemed to recover quickly.
                .: This post contains 100% recycled electrons :.

Comment

Can the stages be setup so the rooms are landscape instead of portrait? Meaning wide rooms that are not very deep from back wall to stage, opposed to very deep rooms that are narrow.
                  Before DC23 rooms seemed to be setup that way and it seemed better to me.

Comment

Hi everyone....

We have since updated the map, this is the "nearly final floor plan". We might tweak this or that to try to squeeze some more space into places, but hopefully nothing major.

https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon...plan-beta2.jpg

Also, those of you worrying about the traffic of DC101 conflicting with registration on Thursday, 101 will start mid day around 2pm most likely, after the lines for reg have died down. It will likely go later into the evening, or be only a few select panels. This is yet to be set in stone for what talks and when, but we do know we won't be running 101 during the "rush hour" so to speak. We have a few other yet to be announced plans we are solidifying, we do want lines and reg to run smooth this year, so we are not ignoring it, we saw the problems last year, and we are listening to your feedback.

Thanks,
                    Nikita

"Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

"nearly final floor plan" version posted on DEF CON on 2/12 : https://www.defcon.org/images/defcon...plan-beta2.jpg
                      Will the three Bronze Rooms for IoT and ICS Villages be shared open air style or will there be a dividing wall between the two Villages?

Comment

Is it possible to have more than one registration area? It might help speed up that line. Especially considering that #24 will have an electronic badge.

Comment

Originally posted by goopcat View Post

Will the three Bronze Rooms for IoT and ICS Villages be shared open air style or will there be a dividing wall between the two Villages?

There is a floorplan option being discussed for those rooms, to maximize how much space both of those villages get, as well as increasing it's visibility so that they don't feel tucked into a dark hallway anymore. We've some clever ways to handle partitions to make foot traffic higher.

Right now, we are working to try to make it so you both get more space and it's clearly divided while being able to share a possible stage, not necessarily the room itself. I think we may be waiting on a few variables to determine if we can use all four rooms and then present more info to you guys. I'd connect up with Grifter to learn more, and I'm sorry if you were not brought into that conversation sooner, but perhaps we were waiting till we had all the options beforehand.

If it helps to know, we are attempting to plan those rooms with each of your best interests in mind. Grifter has been especially good about communicating some of the issues that he knew came up from dc23. :-) Hope that helps. Sorry for my lag in reply.

"Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by takin View Post
                            Is it possible to have more than one registration area? It might help speed up that line. Especially considering that #24 will have an electronic badge.

Unfortunately no, we did consider that but we had things working against us to make that happen. We are planning improvements for this year that look promising to shave off the wait time. We do want that line gone as quick as possible too.
                            "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

Originally posted by seeess View Post
                              Can the stages be setup so the rooms are landscape instead of portrait? Meaning wide rooms that are not very deep from back wall to stage, opposed to very deep rooms that are narrow.
                              Before DC23 rooms seemed to be setup that way and it seemed better to me.

That is a good idea. In some cases we may have to keep them portrait because of how we hang the screens from the ceiling and how that plays for turnover/re-arranging the rooms. I'll ask and see. Maybe it's possible. :-) Thanks.
                              "Haters, gonna hate"

Comment

If it helps to know, we are attempting to plan those rooms with each of your best interests in mind. Grifter has been especially good about communicating some of the issues that he knew came up from dc23. :-) Hope that helps. Sorry for my lag in reply.
                                Thank, you! It does help and yes we are talking with Grifter as well. He's great.

And getting all four bronze rooms, with each of us getting our share and a wall/partition would be grand!

Comment

Working...
                                X