Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Annual DefCon Lockpicking Contest Discussion

practice makes perfect :D

For those interested but don't know where to start check here... tons of good lockpicking info from previous cons
    http://www.digitaltrash.org/defcon/

here is a lockboard that i constructed this weekend to practice on :) rest assured it will be at the con :) (most probably painted and with another hundred pounds of locks)

... I wonder if any of the lock models and brands will be disclosed... ;) or where to sign up

... I wonder if any of the lock models and brands will be disclosed... or where to sign up
    Finding it is part of the GEO contest isn't it? ;)

Anyways, the locks in the first two rounds should be VERY simple, as we're hoping to get a lot of people to participate!

Kai

[Edit] BW: We're hoping to have a few lockboards for people to "play" with while the contest isn't going on. If you'd like to come buy and share yours and your expertise with others that would be great. We're hoping for a big crowd, but who knows! ;)

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave
      practice makes perfect :D

... I wonder if any of the lock models and brands will be disclosed... ;) or where to sign up
      The sign up area should be posted today sometime...but of course you know that already haha...but pssst...THEY don't
      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Wow this looks exciting. I can hardly wait....:D

Comment

Way to go Kai! I had an idea this would go official. Can't wait
          if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Curses (or was that ncurses?), foiled again. Maybe next year.

GREAT idea!!! So glad to see this happening this year!!
            the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

I'm glad others are excited about it as me!

I'm hoping people enjoy this event! Since it's the first, we may have a few growing pains, but we'll smooth 'em out as best we can so that everyone has a good time.

If anyone has any questions, ask away! Oh, and no you cannot touch my tool! ;)

Kai

Comment

Originally posted by Kai
                If anyone has any questions, ask away! Oh, and no you cannot touch my tool!
                regarding the rules:
                [Rules]
                · Only manual picks and tools will be allowed. No mechanical or automatic type devices.
                · Persons attempting to cheat will immediately be eliminated from the contest.
                I spent a few hours last night retooling a few keys with my dremel so that they can become more universal in their use <wink> ... in preparation for the contest and what may be thrown at us <I like being prepared>... anyway I wasn't sure if there were any limitations of using any non-mechanized tools such as a rekeyed key?

... and another question would be what would be considered cheating?

Comment

rekeyed key
                  OK, first off that is going to be dropped, mainly due to the fact that we don't want people to "somehow" find out what we're using for locks etc, and trying to make masters. <wink>

haha

Only picks, wrenches, rakes, springs, etc. will be allowed.

As far as cheating goes, "NO DAMAGE" to the locks is allowed, therefore no "popping" with a screwdriver, etc. No plugging either. This is all about your skill to compromise security without breaking it. In general, we'll have plenty of staff monitoring we won't let anyone start with a pick gun or anything like that.

Kai

Comment

Originally posted by Kai
                    OK, first off that is going to be dropped, mainly due to the fact that we don't want people to "somehow" find out what we're using for locks etc, and trying to make masters. <wink>
                    Ah ok, no rekeyed keys... well then I may as well disclose the focus question here:

MasterLock Laminated Warded Locks:
                    http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/pr...template=style

... Can be opened with a pick from a warded pick set, but if someone doesn't have a warded pick set they can cut their masterlock warded key to be a poorman's warded pick... so technically this is rekeying the key to be a that can open any of the masterlock warded key series (as long as they key fits)... and I have several of these in my pick set, so would this be considered a rekeyed key and not be allowed, or would it be considered a pick? Though if these locks or types of locks (warded) aren't going to be in the contest they please let me know as well :)

*For those whom don't know warded locks can't be opened with standard pin tumbler lock picks ** at least not without damaging the pick.

(see attached image for warded pick set)
                    Attached Files

Comment

I've signed up, but one problem remains; the 49th parallel.

I am in Canada and crossing the border with my tools does not sound like the smartest thing to do considering border security and my knack for getting 'randomly checked'.

Has anyone got a way to have us international participants ship our tools ahead of us to someone/someplace for pickup at the con?
                      Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I'd like to see someone pick a CLUB steering wheel lock.

Comment

renderman: I believe the Alexis Park will accept packages, if I remember correctly. I'd imagine arrangements would have to be made ahead of time... (assuming that you're staying at the Alexis, other hotels likely will also)
                          if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                            Dude...that is the second easiest lock to pick. The first being that shitty lock that "secures" your desk drawer.

Seriously...the Club lock is total crap.
                            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

... Can be opened with a pick from a warded pick set, but if someone doesn't have a warded pick set they can cut their masterlock warded key to be a poorman's warded pick... so technically this is rekeying the key to be a that can open any of the masterlock warded key series (as long as they key fits)... and I have several of these in my pick set, so would this be considered a rekeyed key and not be allowed, or would it be considered a pick? Though if these locks or types of locks (warded) aren't going to be in the contest they please let me know as well
                              OK, for the first two rounds it is going to be VERY simple. Think very standard locks. Once round 3 rolls around, there will only be 12 contestants remaining and that's where you *may* start seeing "irregular" style locks. As far as "cutting" a warded key goes, I would still have to say no (until someone can convince me otherwise anyway), as I feel it is just as easy "cutting" from a non-key piece of steel! ;)

Besides, that very pick set you pictured is available from SouthOrd for $9.95. Can't get much cheaper! lol

hmmm, I've never played with one, but it does sound interesting.

Kai

Comment

Working...
                              X