Things "not to miss" at Defcon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things "not to miss" at Defcon

I'm looking at attending my first Defcon this year, so I've been digging around the site and forums. I'm noticing that it looks like there's a lot going down for one weekend, so I was wondering what everyone's favorite events are? What things seriously shouldn't be missed?

If this includes stuff like "watching everyone get smashed at pool #2 on Saturday night", please don't leave those out. It doesn't have to be scheduled to be an "event". :)
    yah

this all depends really on what it is that you like to do.

The events listed are plain and clear here:
    http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-11...11-events.html

If you like contests there are plenty to choose from :)

One of the biggest events is the Hacker Jeopardy, fun both sober and otherwise. :D

hmm, it would be interesting to have a pool-cam going on... but depending on what goes on it could get ugly...

Comment

Originally posted by blackwave

hmm, it would be interesting to have a pool-cam going on... but depending on what goes on it could get ugly...
      I would loved to have seen replays of myself and friends being tossed into the pool last year :) Goons.... they have found yet another aspect of keeping the fun going at the Con!

Comment

Originally posted by Merciless_Mike
        I would loved to have seen replays of myself and friends being tossed into the pool last year :) Goons.... they have found yet another aspect of keeping the fun going at the Con!
        And this year they'll draw and quarter you!

Comment

the main "must see" will be hacker jeopardy. B+W ball will be a good bet too.
          the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Originally posted by KeLviN
            the main "must see" will be hacker jeopardy. B+W ball will be a good bet too.
            Saturday night in general is must see, if just for the people watching, not to mention overhearing the working girls in the lobby. :)
            Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Def Con is just wild i think everything was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Fused
                Def Con is just wild i think everything was fun.
                This year Fused is going to have his laptop explode instead of just smoke ;)

Comment

i got a new laptop.

Comment

w00t there it is.

Comment

Almost 3 days uptime on WinXP... that's gotta be some sort of a record! ;)
                      the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

The talks. Come on, the other stuff is fun, but seriously, can't you get drunk any other time of the year? There are people that come to DC and don't attend a single presentation...AND THEN BRAG ABOUT IT! For only 75 bucks you have access to some of the brightest people in the underground scene and the computer security industry...and some spend the whole weekend getting drunk? I like to tie one on as much as the next guy...hell maybe more..but the presentations are where it's at. The contests, games, parties are ancillary.
                        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                          The talks. Come on, the other stuff is fun, but seriously, can't you get drunk any other time of the year? There are people that come to DC and don't attend a single presentation...AND THEN BRAG ABOUT IT! For only 75 bucks you have access to some of the brightest people in the underground scene and the computer security industry...and some spend the whole weekend getting drunk? I like to tie one on as much as the next guy...hell maybe more..but the presentations are where it's at. The contests, games, parties are ancillary.

I agree. The talks are what the CON is all about. I have increased my value at work by spending the $75, but I too do find myself involved in other aspects. The shoot is a must for me! The war drive is something I know I could do very well at, but I would rather learn how to defeat an attacker trying to find and or hack my wifi network. I guess it is a matter of priority.

Comment

I spend most of the days going to the presentations. I could never deny myself access to these amazing people. I leave the drunkeness and debauchery for the evening.

However with all the contests I'm in, I'm thinking I'll have to send a friend in with a video camera depending one the schedual.

On another note, it's actually a good idea to stay sober, you see the strangest things and can actually remember them.

Things that come to mind.

1. NIN being played on an accordian
                            2. Mudge and Bruce Schnier drunkenly arguing high level mathematics
                            3. The Enigma machine that the NSA guy brought to Defcon 8
                            4. Vinyl Vanna (not an event to be missed)
                            Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

lol!

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to recommend actually attending the presentations, but I *never* thought someone would recommend staying sober!
                              yah

Comment

Working...
                              X