What will the badges be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will the badges be?

Anyone want to guess what the badges will be like this year? Have the badges improved over the years? Anyone have the entire collection we can put online?
    blackbeetle

Re: What will the badges be?

Originally posted by blackbeetle
    Anyone want to guess what the badges will be like this year?
    Hopefully we aren't going retro... retro is so retro...
    (This includes having the badge on any form of media, such as floppy, cd, tape, circuit boards, hardisks - name other recycled matter here)

... and please don't say we are going to have barcodes, magstripes, or bleepy things, blinky things, twisty things, squishy things, oragami things, nuclear radiation things...

... the badges certainly have been getting better (except for the staining lanyards)... simple is good.

Though if we aren't going to have the typical plastic laminiated badges, or the metal badges, or the badges mentioned above... it is hard to guess what will be next... hid cards, biometrics?... maybe something like the deck of cards with something on them so the badges have a theme but are different... hmm...

Comment

My question exactly... what else is left? I guess the fall back is plastic or laminated badges.
      blackbeetle

Comment

Originally posted by blackbeetle
        My question exactly... what else is left? I guess the fall back is plastic or laminated badges.
        err: oh... I thought we were making guesses against a known answer...

it has to be pretty simple since the rentacops have to be able to recognize what the badge of the year is from a distance and close up...

yeah sounds like the graphic-based laminated badges... maybe with that troll hair, you know the kinds that came on the pens... wait, that is retro... ack.. kill me now.

hmm... new idea! badges made out of human flesh - like the necronomicon!... or some type of dried leather... but let's see mfreeck would freak... so how about dried potato/e skin badges ... or fireproof tree bark... hmmm...

Comment

hmm... I could only guess it may have to do with homeland security or some derrivative.

I particularly like them to be a heavy metal utility weapon multipurpose beast of a thing

what would be interesting, although not so durable and probably way too costly, would be to make a badge with embedded flash memory.. for holding keys and stuff

--edit: oh.. so this is an unknown..
          if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

frankley I was partial to the metal badges of last year.. this year I am sure they will go back to the laminated badges (circa; DC8) I wouldn't mind ...as long as they are still water-proof... but I would prefer something a little more metal
            If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

I like c0nv3r9 idea, but hum I got some improvement for it;)...

What about a badge that would probably get rejected at the airport, so that you can't bring the badge back home :D So that next year we could all try to bring the badge back(again) at defcon and see who have been able to pass it undetected!

Hum what could that be... Hum what about a badge made partially of some chemical substance that is inoffensive but that would not pass the chemical test?
              /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

Originally posted by dataworm
                What about a badge that would probably get rejected at the airport

Hum what could that be...
                hmm... badges made out of hemp... or something of the like...

Comment

I liked DC 8 badges. 9, the letters all got stuck together, last year the black beaded chains leaked ink on skin and clothing.

I think it was DC 8 that was my favorite? Which one was the one with the silver badges and the DC logo (logo like on the DC hoodie) in black? Yeah, those were my favorite. But the pill logo was kewl too.
                  ***resist, unlearn, defy***

Comment

Use lead tape to trace out a .32 caliber pistol on the inside of the badge, perfect for airport screeners.

Comment

Having never been to a defcon before, I don't know what the past badges have been (anyone feel like doing a rundown??)

But I'm thinking something practical. Like a metal bottle opener with the logo on it. Or metal shot glasses on a chain!!

Yeah... wherever you go, always be prepared...
                      yah

Comment

A badge with a metal opener would be usefull but i don't think this is the image we want to give of defcon!
                        /* NO COMMENT */

Comment

Originally posted by dataworm
                          A badge with a metal opener would be usefull but i don't think this is the image we want to give of defcon!
                          Image? come on now.. we have 5,000+ people running around doing God-knows-what to God-knows-who.. at least a good 200-300 of them have blue/pink/purple/ad infinitem coloured hair, a bunch running around dressed in duct tape...... and you are worried about our image... did I miss a memo or something?
                          If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

my dc9 badge is starting to curl up on the sides and shrink, i definently like the metal badges from 10 better, i think an old school laminated design would be good, minimal colors with a simple design.
                            ARRR!

Comment

I liked the metal badges but the chains were really bad, they got my shirt all black even after I cleaned it. The metal badges are good because they last. I would like metal badges if there isnt any better suggestions. It would be cool if the badge was a defcon t-shirt! I mean hey it saves you $20.

Comment

Working...
                              X