Girlfriend Badges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girlfriend Badges?

This year I brought my girlfriend (it was bound to happen) but I couldn’t afford the $75 to get her a badge. Nor did she want one, she could care less about computers. Unfortunately I was not allowed to take her to the black and white ball because of this. Now that a few more of us have significant others, I think it would be nice if they could go to the black and white ball, see a movie or two, maybe see some hacker jeopardy, and browse the tee shirts themselves. I propose a girlfriend badge for $25 which would allow this and only this. No contests, no talks, etc. To make sure lame asses don’t try to use this to save money, it should only be bought with a full price badge, only one could be bought, and your significant other would need to be there when you buy it. I know calling it a girlfriend badge isn’t politically correct, but I’m doing it of purpose. With that name people would be even less inclined to try to use it as a replacement for a full price badge.

Any comments, alternative suggestions, etc are welcome.

-du5z

Its a good idea, but from what i know, badges werent being checked at hacker jeopardy. I cant say for certain if they were being sticklers for any other evening activity including the B&W. Id put this suggestion on the official defcon site. Senoir staff do lurk here, but dont look at every thread.
    Yes I'm back bitch!

And darker than ever

Comment

They were being sticklers at the black & white ball for security reasons.
      "Those who would willingly trade essential liberty for temporary security are deserving of neither." --Benjamin Franklin

Comment

The policy for the Black and White ball was a 1:1 ratio for badges/guests. A person may bring their significant other to that event as long as one of the couple has a badge.

Comment

I think that's a great idea! My (female) friends would be more likely to come, since very few of them are into tech/hacking/security. Of course, it would be another story trying to talk my boyfriend into purchasing a "girlfriend" badge. ;-)
          Miaoux.

Comment

Fuck no.

The last thing Defcon needs is more scene whores.

Save up the extra 50 bucks if you're so inclined.

Do you realize how overcrowded the shit was at $75 a head? Having a whole new class of second class citizens crowding the place up will suck ass.

Comment

Originally posted by packetgrinder
              Fuck no.

The last thing Defcon needs is more scene whores.

Save up the extra 50 bucks if you're so inclined.

Do you realize how overcrowded the shit was at $75 a head? Having a whole new class of second class citizens crowding the place up will suck ass.
              I totally agree.

Don't bring your woman to con if she can't appreciate any other aspects of con.

But, it seems like a solution to this problem's already put into place.

I know there weren't even goons around either times I wandered into the B&W Ball -- seems pretty much like a nonissue.
              Don't hurt me daddy!

Comment

As much as I'd like to see the b&w packed to hilt , I don't want a room full of scene whores and lamers , 150.00 isn't much a huge pile of cash to save up , besides you never know she might actually become intrested at one of the talks , My GF did .
                Zz...
                the only question in life is , Why?

Comment

Originally posted by nulltone
                  The policy for the Black and White ball was a 1:1 ratio for badges/guests. A person may bring their significant other to that event as long as one of the couple has a badge.
                  It wasn't being consistently enforced like that. I ended up giving my extra badge to a friend so his wife could go to the B&W.
                  the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Re: Girlfriend Badges?

Originally posted by du5z
                    This year I brought my girlfriend (it was bound to happen) but I couldn’t afford the $75 to get her a badge. Nor did she want one, she could care less about computers. Unfortunately I was not allowed to take her to the black and white ball because of this. Now that a few more of us have significant others, I think it would be nice if they could go to the black and white ball, see a movie or two, maybe see some hacker jeopardy, and browse the tee shirts themselves. I propose a girlfriend badge for $25 which would allow this and only this. No contests, no talks, etc. To make sure lame asses don’t try to use this to save money, it should only be bought with a full price badge, only one could be bought, and your significant other would need to be there when you buy it. I know calling it a girlfriend badge isn’t politically correct, but I’m doing it of purpose. With that name people would be even less inclined to try to use it as a replacement for a full price badge.

Any comments, alternative suggestions, etc are welcome.

-du5z

So girlfriends get special rates but not boyfriends? ;)

Actually though, my boyfriend enjoyed his time thoroughly because he went in with an open mind and no expectations. He went to some talks, drank ( alittle), and hung out with lots of cool people. Now he wents to be a geek... Damn you people!

Maybe if your girlfriends "tried" to understand everything it would be worth the 75$, because they would get something out of it.

But, on the chance that they don't want to pay 75$... Leave them at home.

Comment

damn.. if thats the case I gotta get a BOYfriend...
                      If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
                        damn.. if thats the case I gotta get a BOYfriend...
                        Highwizard... I think you win this bet.
                        the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpussy
                          Highwizard... I think you win this bet.

I hate you all
                          If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

what about pets?
                            I'm sure my dog would love going to Defcon.
                            why not have a special "pet" badge?
                            just fluff it

Comment

I have an extremely aggressive 110lb rot mastiff mix. Perhaps I sould bring him next year to cut down on the harassment as well. He could be the official defcon guard dog.
                              I could also donate him to the goon security force.
                              Goons are scary enough, but goons with trained attack dogs now thats a nice mix.

Comment

Working...
                              X